Whats she like to fly?

ak22

I'm considering getting the F-5E but wondering what its like to fly? I am a new player looking to take advantage of the sale, I currently own the F-16C & MIG 21 BIS i struggle with MIG.

Can you be a bit rougher on the stick with the F-5E compared to the mig? the cockpit looks like its bit easier to process information quickly, also whats the radar like?

Yes, you can be rougher on the stick. It's a really forgiving aircraft, meaning that you can yank on the stick and you won't directly crash, stall or spin. The Tiger also feels quite nice in the air and has some decent performance.

The radar is okay, for it's age. You can see big targets up to 40NM and lock onto them at 10NM, while having the radar and gunsight showing the locked targets position.

You can be a bit rougher but it is like any other aircraft in the sense that you do need to be aware of stall speeds and such. If the MiG-21 is giving you trouble in that regard, it might be a sign that you should work on developing a lighter hand on the stick since that will help you in not only the MiG but also every other module (including the F-5).

The radar is a interesting thing. Like the MiG-21 an the MiG-19, the radar isn't really meant to search for targets at all and is more of a fire control radar for your guns once you are in range to attack. You would not really use your own radar to find targets anyway as other external radar assets are going to be guiding you to the target anyway (like AWACS or some form of GCI).

The F-5 module is great as long as you understand what you are actually getting. The version we have is essentially more of a air combat trainer (it is specifically modeled after a DACT aircraft) and as such, it isn't really intended for front line combat scenarios. You can "get by" in such scenarios but you will inevitably see why the versions of the F-5 that got exported and used as front line combat aircraft were modified over time to be more combat capable with better radar, more avionics, and more reasonable weapon selections.

• Like 1

I'm considering getting the F-5E but wondering what its like to fly? I am a new player looking to take advantage of the sale, I currently own the F-16C & MIG 21 BIS i struggle with MIG.

Can you be a bit rougher on the stick with the F-5E compared to the mig? the cockpit looks like its bit easier to process information quickly, also whats the radar like?

If you're wondering about it's handling characteristics, i.e. how it responds to the control and how it behaves itself in the air, you'll *love* the F-5. It's a really fantastic flying aircraft. Lightning-fast roll rate, very stall resistant. Nice and smooth but very 'sharp' control response--a great handler!

It doesn't have an enormous amount of thrust, though. It's not a plane that will hold an 8g turn without dropping speed. :)

It's weapons and radar are limited, but appropriate for an older, inexpensive small fighter.

Frankly, my favourite thing about it is the theme music. Set the F-5 wallpaper on, and you have a fantastic, moving soundtrack while you poke around in DCS settings and menus. The music is second to none, the guitarist kicks ass :)

AD

Kit:

B550 Aorus Elite AX V2, Ryzen 7 5800X w/ Thermalright Phantom Spirit 120 SE, 2 x 16GB Kingston Fury DDR4 @3600MHz C16, Gigabyte RTX 3070 Windforce 8GB, EVGA SuperNova 750 G2 PSU, HP Omen 32" 2560x1440, Thrustmaster Cougar HOTAS fitted with Leo Bodnar's BU0836A controller.

--Flying is the art of throwing yourself at the ground, and having all the rules and regulations get in the way!

If man was meant to fly, he would have been born with a lot more money!

Thank you all for the reply I might get the plane still considering the AV-8B aswell... to many planes to choose form...

The F-5 certainly feels nice to fly around. And it has a nice roll rate at combat speeds. But it’s also got weak engines and very few weapons. And air to ground combat is totally manual.

If you want capability and content in a non FBW plane the Harrier is certainly a great choice. And honestly not much worse than the F-5 in air combat either.

Virpil WarBRD | Thrustmaster Hornet Grip | Foxx Mount | Thrustmaster TWCS Throttle | Logitech G Throttle Quadrant | VKB T-Rudder IV | TrackIR 5

AMD Ryzen 5 3600 | Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB | 32GB DDR4 3200 | SSD

You can be a bit rougher but it is like any other aircraft in the sense that you do need to be aware of stall speeds and such. If the MiG-21 is giving you trouble in that regard, it might be a sign that you should work on developing a lighter hand on the stick since that will help you in not only the MiG but also every other module (including the F-5).

The radar is a interesting thing. Like the MiG-21 an the MiG-19, the radar isn't really meant to search for targets at all and is more of a fire control radar for your guns once you are in range to attack. You would not really use your own radar to find targets anyway as other external radar assets are going to be guiding you to the target anyway (like AWACS or some form of GCI).

The F-5 module is great as long as you understand what you are actually getting. The version we have is essentially more of a air combat trainer (it is specifically modeled after a DACT aircraft) and as such, it isn't really intended for front line combat scenarios. You can "get by" in such scenarios but you will inevitably see why the versions of the F-5 that got exported and used as front line combat aircraft were modified over time to be more combat capable with better radar, more avionics, and more reasonable weapon selections.

Its not just meant as an agressor for DACT. the IDea came aftewords. the F5 was meant for front line combat as a very inexpensive lightweight export fighter. This aircraft did a a good job for what it was meant to be. There are many nations that utilized the F5E in a vanilla configuration. export users domestic upgrades of F5's generally came later in life, typical of any aircrat when it begins to become obselete.

Ethiopians utilized F5's very successfully against somali piloted Mig21's. In the Iran iraq war, Iranian workhorse fleet of F5's saw combat against iraqi flown migs.

most light fighters of the time typically did not have a large missile armament, nor a particularly powerfull radar. The F5E is a great adversary to a Mig21BIs. And as the older generation of aviation get expanded with more assets the F5E will feel more at home there than on modern era servers for frontline combat since those are the era of aircraft it should be compared to.

Edited by Kev2go

Build:

Windows 10 64 bit Pro

Case/Tower: Corsair Graphite 760tm ,Asus Strix Z790 Motherboard, Intel Core i7 12700k ,Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 64gb ram (3600 mhz) , (Asus strix oc edition) Nvidia RTX 3080 12gb , Evga g2 850 watt psu, Hardrives ; Samsung 970 EVo, , Samsung evo 860 pro 1 TB SSD, Samsung evo 850 pro 1TB SSD,  WD 1TB HDD

Get yourself an F5 and get onto Alpenwolf's multiplayer cold war server. There you'll find many human Mig-21bis adversaries on a nightly basis to pit the F5 against. I've flown the F5 more than any other plane in DCS and keep going back to it. It's a great aircraft to start out with as the systems are pretty straight forward. Can do air to air and air to ground having to nail height/speed/angle to deliver the unguided munitions to the best of your ability but it'll teach you a lot before going for the more modern F16/F18 types. It only carries 2 air to air missiles presently which is limiting I find it means I have to work harder for the higher percentage chance of a kill.

PS It flies very nicely, don't forget to put in some curves in the axis commands and there's a switch that allows you to approximately double the roll rate for more agility in air combat.

• Like 1

If you want a "bug-free" aircraft, that has "all systems" implemented for normal usage: go for the F-5, it is a very nice model and I personally love to fly it!

The black MiG-28 aggressor livery is outstanding, and my friend and me are doing sparring very often using the F-5 (he in the F-18, me in the Tiger).

Visit https://www.viggen.training
...Viggen... what more can you ask for?

my computer:
AMD Ryzen 5600G | NVIDIA GTX 1080 Ti OC 11GB | 32 GB 3200 MHz DDR4 DUAL | SSD 980 256 GB SYS + SSD 2TB DCS | TM Warthog Stick + Throttle + TPR | Rift CV1

DCS: F-5E handles awesomely. The Austin-Heally of fighters. Or Honda S2000 of DCS: fighter. It is not fastest in Vne, and it is not quickest in acceleration. But rol rate and turn rate are amazing. Best module to have alongside 4th gen but avionic heavy study-sim modules like F/A-18C, F-16C, F-14B, Mirage2K, AV-8B and JF-17. Practice tactics, flight controls, maneuvers, tasks (except in-flight refuel), with out overhead of complicated radars, target pods. If you can deliver accurate ballistic AG ordinance VFR/VMC, fight ACM 1V1 win or survive against AI or online human Mig-21, Mig-15, AAA, and SHORAD IR SAMs, then you can tackle higher end modules and GEN2 radar SAM evasion. F-5E is my go to module, if I had been away from DCS for few weeks, to refresh basic airmanship skills. IMHO, DCS: F-5E is best training module, even though F-5E is not a trainer like L-39 or C-101.

In real world USAF, NASA pilots maintain currency and refresher training in T-38, which is two seat F-5E . Some are still flying with aggressor squadrons, or retired only recently.

Highly recommend this module.

• Like 1

now I am testing it thanks to free trials. It feels like a faster Huey :D

FC3 | UH-1 | Mi-8 | A-10C II | F/A-18 | Ka-50 III | F-14 | F-16 | AH-64 Mi-24 | F-5 | F-15E| F-4| Tornado

Persian Gulf | Nevada | Syria | NS-430 | Supercarrier // Wishlist: CH-53 | UH-60

Youtube

MS FFB2 - TM Warthog - CH Pro Pedals - Trackir 5

Its not just meant as an agressor for DACT. the IDea came aftewords. the F5 was meant for front line combat as a very inexpensive lightweight export fighter. This aircraft did a a good job for what it was meant to be. There are many nations that utilized the F5E in a vanilla configuration. export users domestic upgrades of F5's generally came later in life, typical of any aircrat when it begins to become obselete.

Ethiopians utilized F5's very successfully against somali piloted Mig21's. In the Iran iraq war, Iranian workhorse fleet of F5's saw combat against iraqi flown migs.

most light fighters of the time typically did not have a large missile armament, nor a particularly powerfull radar. The F5E is a great adversary to a Mig21BIs. And as the older generation of aviation get expanded with more assets the F5E will feel more at home there than on modern era servers for frontline combat since those are the era of aircraft it should be compared to.

You are speaking of the F-5 in general and in that sense, you are absolutely correct that it was (and probably still is) used as a front-line combat aircraft in some nations. That being said, I am not talking about the airframe in general, I am talking about the very specific version that is modeled in DCS. The version we have is the DACT version through and through and its capabilities reflect that.

The F-5's my favorite plane to just fire up and tool around the map in. The startup procedure is quick and straight forward, she's a fast and easy plane to fly and works well as a stand-in for the T-38 Talon if you're wanting to learn basic handling in a fast jet.

When it comes to fighting in I'd definitely have more fun with a Hornet or a Viper, but just sight see around Las Vegas and learn some basic flying skills she's pretty fun.

Windows 10 64-bit | Ryzen 9 3900X 4.00GHz (OC) | Asus Strix B450-F | 64GB Corsair Vengeance @ 3000MHz | two Asus GeForce 1070 Founders Edition (second card used for CUDA only) | two Silicon Power 1TB NVMe in RAID-0 | Samsung 32" 1440p Monitor | two ASUS 23" 1080p monitors | ASUS Mixed Reality VR | Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS | MFG Crosswind

A-10C Warthog | AV-8B Harrier (N/A) | F/A-18C Hornet | F-16C Viper | F-14B Tomcat | UH-1H Huey | P-51D Mustang | F-86F Saber | Persian Gulf | NTTR

You are speaking of the F-5 in general and in that sense, you are absolutely correct that it was (and probably still is) used as a front-line combat aircraft in some nations. That being said, I am not talking about the airframe in general, I am talking about the very specific version that is modeled in DCS. The version we have is the DACT version through and through and its capabilities reflect that.

The DACT version ( especially the USAF one) happens to be also very comparable to the typical vanilla generic configuration F5E that many other nations utilized...... Its capabilities aren't unique to DACT exclusive aircraft.

Although officially sold single player campaigns focus on DACT above the NTTR you are incorrect on your assertion on " very specific(F5E) version in DCS " is in fact not a very "specific" version of the F5E . It is something of a franken tiger actually. ( A hybrid of a Basic Vanilla F5E that the USAF also used, and the US navy F5N) and a proper DACT version(s) it would need to be split to two variations for the USAF and USN F5N's ( latter of which are buybacks of swiss modded F5E's) . kind of like DCS P51D was somewhat inaccurate for European theatre but was eventually split into D25 and D30.

Edited by Kev2go

Build:

Windows 10 64 bit Pro

Case/Tower: Corsair Graphite 760tm ,Asus Strix Z790 Motherboard, Intel Core i7 12700k ,Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 64gb ram (3600 mhz) , (Asus strix oc edition) Nvidia RTX 3080 12gb , Evga g2 850 watt psu, Hardrives ; Samsung 970 EVo, , Samsung evo 860 pro 1 TB SSD, Samsung evo 850 pro 1TB SSD,  WD 1TB HDD

• 1 month later...
Get yourself an F5 and get onto Alpenwolf's multiplayer cold war server. There you'll find many human Mig-21bis adversaries on a nightly basis to pit the F5 against. I've flown the F5 more than any other plane in DCS and keep going back to it. It's a great aircraft to start out with as the systems are pretty straight forward. Can do air to air and air to ground having to nail height/speed/angle to deliver the unguided munitions to the best of your ability but it'll teach you a lot before going for the more modern F16/F18 types. It only carries 2 air to air missiles presently which is limiting I find it means I have to work harder for the higher percentage chance of a kill.

PS It flies very nicely, don't forget to put in some curves in the axis commands and there's a switch that allows you to approximately double the roll rate for more agility in air combat.

Hi Countvonaltibar, which switch are you referring to that doubles the roll rate?

Hi Countvonaltibar, which switch are you referring to that doubles the roll rate?

I can answer for him: left hand side console... roll damper ON... switch to OFF. Makes the aircraft more twitchy but pays off with greater roll rate.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I can answer for him: left hand side console... roll damper ON... switch to OFF. Makes the aircraft more twitchy but pays off with greater roll rate.

I think he is talking about the stick limiter and not the damper.

Btw, there is AFAIK no roll damper, but only pitch and yaw.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Win10 64, Asus Maximus VIII Formula, i5 6600K, Geforce 980 GTX Ti, 32 GB Ram, Samsung EVO SSD.

It's a roll rate limiter on the stick. On the real thing it's a detent that you have to push through to reach full deflection in roll axis, but in game there is a button for that. It's not a button in the pit.

Call up control overlay with Rctrl+ enter and you will notice tick marks halfway on the roll axis.

It's called something like ''stick limiter'' in key mapping.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Win10 64, Asus Maximus VIII Formula, i5 6600K, Geforce 980 GTX Ti, 32 GB Ram, Samsung EVO SSD.

It's a roll rate limiter on the stick. On the real thing it's a detent that you have to push through to reach full deflection in roll axis, but in game there is a button for that. It's not a button in the pit.

Call up control overlay with Rctrl+ enter and you will notice tick marks halfway on the roll axis.

It's called something like ''stick limiter'' in key mapping.

Oh, wow, Thanks very much Svend_Dellepude. I didn’t know that existed. Just mapped what I could see on the stick. I will try this out tonight. Just another reason to love the little fighter.