Release date? - Page 4 - ED Forums

Notices

Old 03-31-2020, 07:49 PM   #31
TLTeo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ikaros View Post
New forum sections are usually added for upcoming products when they are relatively close to release. Either this is the start of a new trend or a bit telling. I don't see a forum section for the A-7, Mi-24, or P-47.

The JF-17 forum section was up for quite a while though
TLTeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2020, 08:08 PM   #32
Ikaros

Quote:
Originally Posted by TLTeo View Post
The JF-17 forum section was up for quite a while though
Like a year or something?
Ikaros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2020, 08:57 PM   #33
AeriaGloria
Veteran

The Deka forum was added with introduction of CAP and J-11A. JF-17 specific didn’t happen until release
AeriaGloria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2020, 11:49 PM   #34
Harlikwin
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ikaros View Post
New forum sections are usually added for upcoming products when they are relatively close to release. Either this is the start of a new trend or a bit telling. I don't see a forum section for the A-7, Mi-24, or P-47.
Yeah its weird. The A7 guys were aiming for an end of year release IIRC. Which i thought was hoplesly optimistic.
Old 05-03-2020, 10:31 PM   #35
Jester986

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harlikwin View Post
Yeah its weird. The A7 guys were aiming for an end of year release IIRC. Which i thought was hoplesly optimistic.
Yea that was disappointing. Implies they don't know what they're getting into.
Jester986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2020, 11:20 PM   #36
Harlikwin
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester986 View Post
Yea that was disappointing. Implies they don't know what they're getting into.
Funny, thats what i said at the time. I think they come from xplane like razbam. So hopefully they do a more detailed job.
Old 05-04-2020, 12:41 PM   #37
NakedSquirrel

Old 05-04-2020, 01:34 PM   #38
jester224

Somewhere out there in academia is an equation that shows the relationship between software complexity, delivery time and developer naivety. As a grizzled and hardened dev myself I can tell you the often over optimistic schedules that are either uttered by the developers or worse from sales who haven't even spoken to the developers.

A wise person uses the following answer to a release date. They reply "Soon". This will result in people asking soon. The reply being "As soon as it is ready!"

Now here is a thought. What if a development team threw a load of old rubbish over the fence for the users, even in beta, to satisfy a release date. They would get slated for it. The best to do is make it the best you can. If you miss the release because it is not ready so be it. Better late and stable than unusable and on time.
jester224 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2020, 07:21 PM   #39
Gierasimov

Arrow Developer interview

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aluminum Donkey View Post
So... the one question everyone REALLY wants to ask is...

When can we get it?
Developers confirmed they literally just started this journey.
Aircraft module takes something between 5 to 7 years to complete
Sometime in the middle of this timeframe there is an early access release.

Do not expect this in the next 2 years I think.
Gierasimov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2020, 07:22 PM   #40
Xilon_x

Quote:
Originally Posted by jester224 View Post
Somewhere out there in academia is an equation that shows the relationship between software complexity, delivery time and developer naivety. As a grizzled and hardened dev myself I can tell you the often over optimistic schedules that are either uttered by the developers or worse from sales who haven't even spoken to the developers.

A wise person uses the following answer to a release date. They reply "Soon". This will result in people asking soon. The reply being "As soon as it is ready!"

Now here is a thought. What if a development team threw a load of old rubbish over the fence for the users, even in beta, to satisfy a release date. They would get slated for it. The best to do is make it the best you can. If you miss the release because it is not ready so be it. Better late and stable than unusable and on time.

the Eurofighter is a very complex plane to be released soon. I think it will take a long time to program it and plan it all.
hurrying programmers is a very unnatural thing hurrying programmers only produces inaccuracies and incompleteness.
1 year or a 1/5 year I think it will be enough but if you want a module well done, surely you have to wait much longer. otherwise they release it in less than a year but not complete with but with inaccuracies to be accurate with time.
Xilon_x is offline   Reply With Quote