S-5 rockets?

by the time of our MTV2 the Russian military had stopped using the S-5 as it was ineffective in Afghanistan.

so they use the S-8 instead.

My Rig: AM5 7950X, 32GB DDR5 6000, M2 SSD, EVGA 1080 Superclocked, Warthog Throttle and Stick, MFG Crosswinds, Oculus Rift.

Although DCS doesn't make it particularly easy, it's definitely possible to use S-5 rockets (from the MiG-21 module I believe?).

Easiest way to do it is as follows:

-Use the mission editor to add a new loadout to the Mi-8, filling all 6 hardpoints/stations—doesn't matter with what; just add anything—then name it something easy to search for, like "UB-32_LOADOUT" or something

-In your DCS Saved Games folder, open the following file for editing: MissionEditor\UnitPayloads\Mi-8MT.lua

-Search for the loadout you just created and replace all ["CLSID"] = "WHATEVER",lines with ["CLSID"] = "{UB-16_S5M}", or ["CLSID"] = "{UB-32_S5M}",

It should look something like this when finished:

[50] = {
   ["name"] = "UB-32/UB-16+",
   ["pylons"] = {
       [1] = {
           ["CLSID"] = "{UB-16_S5M}",
           ["num"] = 6,
       },
       [2] = {
           ["num"] = 5,
       },
       [3] = {
           ["CLSID"] = "{UB-32_S5M}",
           ["num"] = 4,
       },
       [4] = {
           ["CLSID"] = "{UB-32_S5M}",
           ["num"] = 3,
       },
       [5] = {
           ["num"] = 2,
       },
       [6] = {
           ["num"] = 1,
       },
   },
   ["tasks"] = {
       [1] = 35,
   },
},

-Save your changes, go back into DCS and select the loadout. The stations should now have S-5 rockets. They work surprisingly well with the module, and it immediately becomes apparent why the rockets can only be set to launch in bursts of 4, 8, and 16

Disclaimer: I haven't tested this in a while now and I don't have time to verify that it still works atm, so let me know if doesn't.