Internal or external SSD?

Hi,

I already have a 256 Gb internal SSD which came built-in when I bought my PC.

I plan to buy a new 256 Gb SSD.

I'm not a DYI guy and don't like wiring, etc.

So I plan to buy an external SSD.

Is there any drawback to buy an external SSD vs internal SSD, especially in terms of performance?

- Tony -

. My Reviews: Oilfield Campaign - Argo Campaign l My Mission: Huey Ramp Start Voice-Over New!

. Microsoft Force Feedback 2 base modded with a CH Fighterstick - VKB Sim T-Rudder Mk.IV Pedals

. Intel i5 4670K @4.3 GHz - 32 Gb DDR3 - MSI GTX 1080 - ASUS PG278QR 27" 2K @165 Hz G-Sync

It will be bottle-necked by a USB connection, especially if it's USB 2.0, ideally you'd connect it internally, via say SATA, PCIe etc.

NATO - BF callsign: BLACKRAIN

2x X5675 hexacore CPUs for 24 cores | 72GB DDR3 ECC RAM 3 channel | GTX 1050Ti | 500GB SSD on PCIe lane | CH Products HOTAS | TrackIR5 | Win 7 64

If you can connect it via USB 3.0, (not counting an adaptor) then it'll be reasonably quick, not as quick as SATAIII or through a PCIe lane, but much faster then USB 2.0 (which also has the issue of half-duplex which will harm figures further).

Edited by ouPhrontis

2x X5675 hexacore CPUs for 24 cores | 72GB DDR3 ECC RAM 3 channel | GTX 1050Ti | 500GB SSD on PCIe lane | CH Products HOTAS | TrackIR5 | Win 7 64

Thanks, I think I'll try to make the effort to learn to install an internal SSD.

- Tony -

. My Reviews: Oilfield Campaign - Argo Campaign l My Mission: Huey Ramp Start Voice-Over New!

. Microsoft Force Feedback 2 base modded with a CH Fighterstick - VKB Sim T-Rudder Mk.IV Pedals

. Intel i5 4670K @4.3 GHz - 32 Gb DDR3 - MSI GTX 1080 - ASUS PG278QR 27" 2K @165 Hz G-Sync

Thanks, I think I'll try to make the effort to learn to install an internal SSD.

Unless you can use Thunderbolt which uses PCIe lanes any other external option induces a latency you might not want to tolerate.

If you plan to game or work from that SSD, put it in the machine with Sata cables, if it is "only" for fast access to movies and alike USB3.x will be OK.

Gigabyte Aorus X570S Master - Ryzen 5900X - Gskill 64GB 3200/CL14@3600/CL14 - Asus 1080ti EK-waterblock - 4x Samsung 980Pro 1TB - 1x Samsung 870 Evo 1TB - 1x SanDisc 120GB SSD - Heatkiller IV - MoRa3-360LT@9x120mm Noctua F12 - Corsair AXi-1200 - TiR5-Pro - Warthog Hotas - Saitek Combat Pedals - Asus PG278Q 27" QHD Gsync 144Hz - Corsair K70 RGB Pro - Win11 Pro/Linux - Phanteks Evolv-X 

Thanks Bit, the SSD is to install FSX and games on it so I'll go for an internal SSD.

One last quick question: is it OK to install a program on a second SSD?

What I mean is that Windows 7 is on my first SSD. And so is the C:\Program Files directory.

Is it OK to installe Flight Simulator X and other programs / games on the new SSD, let's say D:\ ?

- Tony -

Thanks Bit, the SSD is to install FSX and games on it so I'll go for an internal SSD.

What I mean is that Windows 7 is on my first SSD. And so is the C:\Program Files directory.

Is it OK to installe Flight Simulator X and other programs / games on the new SSD, let's say D:\ ?

Yes, I've done that with several; DCS, Star Citizen, and also Steam directory.

You bet buddy, it'll work fine. I have my O/S on one SSD, and then two other SSD's for games and VR stuff.

You'll do fine with your install! :thumbup:

MSI MAG Z790 Carbon, i9-13900k, NH-D15 cooler, 64 GB CL40 6000mhz RAM, MSI RTX4090, Yamaha 5.1 A/V Receiver, 4x 2TB Samsung 980 Pro NVMe, 1x 2TB Samsung 870 EVO SSD, Win 11 Pro, TM Warthog, Virpil WarBRD, MFG Crosswinds, 43" Samsung 4K TV, 21.5 Acer VT touchscreen, TrackIR, Varjo Aero, Wheel Stand Pro Super Warthog, Phanteks Enthoo Pro2 Full Tower Case, Seasonic GX-1200 ATX3 PSU, PointCTRL, Buttkicker 2, K-51 Helicopter Collective Control

USB 3.0 External would be better. Currently use it for steam games with no problems. Never tried it with DCS or Flight Simulators.

If you go external Thunderbolt drive would be the best if you motherboard supports TB. But honestly try to get another Internal SSD if you have the Sata spots.

USB 3.0 External would be better.[snip]

So as to not have that comment misunderstood and confuse matters for Simicro; better than USB 2.0 for sure, but not better than SATAIII or via PCIe.

As long as you use USB 3.0 or higher, you should be fine. I rarely see my sata ssd utilized at 100% by DCS, even loading times are mostly limited by CPU.

Hardware: VPForce Rhino, FSSB R3 Ultra, Virpil T-50CM, Hotas Warthog, Winwing F15EX, Slaw Rudder, GVL224 Trio Throttle, Thrustmaster MFDs, Saitek Trim wheel, Trackir 5, Quest Pro

Thank you all, and ouPhrontis for caring to clarify the USB 3.0 for me.

I made my decision: internal SSD.

Next step: open my PC to see if I have a free SATAIII or PCIe connector + electrical connector.

By the way, nice to see you again javelina1 and Bit ;)

Edited by Simicro

- Tony -

Thank you all, and ouPhrontis for caring to clarify the USB 3.0 for me.

I made my decision: internal SSD.

Next step: open my PC to see if I have a free SATAIII or PCIe connector + electrical connector.

By the way, nice to see you again javelina1 and Bit ;)

It's very easy. Some cases have ready made slots to hold the 2.5" SSD drives. But others (older cases) may only have 3.5" slots. If so, you'll need an adapter like: Corsair SSD Mounting Bracket Kit 2.5" to 3.5" drive bay(CSSD-BRKT1).

SATA III are notched so you can only put them in one way.

Or you can get EVERYTHING You need with a kit like: Inateck 2x 2.5 Inch SSD to 3.5 Inch Internal Hard Disk Drive Mounting Kit Bracket (SATA Data Cables and Power Cables included) (ST1002S)

Easy peasy so you have nothing to worry about..

hsb

HW Spec in Spoiler

---

i7-10700K Direct-To-Die/OC'ed to 5.1GHz, MSI Z490 MB, 32GB DDR4 3200MHz, EVGA 2080 Ti FTW3, NVMe+SSD, Win 10 x64 Pro, MFG, Warthog, TM MFDs, Komodo Huey set, Rverbe G1

Great points, hansangb.

I know it can seem quite daunting to open a PC and start plugging in cables and so on, you've probably already got a spare bay and connectors waiting inside for a new drive, though if not; there's usually a rank of SATA connections on the motherboard, a SATA storage device will have two cables going to it, power and data, a buddy of mine has demonstrated just how ghetto you can get and still get away with it and all things work, by not even having somewhere tidy/designed for stowing the SSD or HDD, he'd just have them loose in the case, or duct-tape them to the inside somewhere.

SATA data;

sata-ssd-connections.jpg?itok=WnC5-s0e

You might even already have somewhere in your case to install a new drive without resorting to extra bays etc. Hope it goes smoothly, feel free to ask more questions if unsure.

Unlike HDD's, SSD's can be oriented any way and don't vibrate, so you can really put the thing loose or attach it with single screw just to be sure, even if your case does not have dedicated space for a second drive.

Each modern motherboard has several SATA connectors and each PSU has several SATA power connectors available, so you should be safe. The motherboard should have been shipped with serveral SATA DATA cables.

Hardware: VPForce Rhino, FSSB R3 Ultra, Virpil T-50CM, Hotas Warthog, Winwing F15EX, Slaw Rudder, GVL224 Trio Throttle, Thrustmaster MFDs, Saitek Trim wheel, Trackir 5, Quest Pro

Simicro,

shoot me a PM if you get stuck, I am on vacation but online and check my mail etc.. .

Send us your Motherboard specs, then it is easy to tell you EXACTLY where to plug things in.

You do so much for the community, glad to help you man !

Gigabyte Aorus X570S Master - Ryzen 5900X - Gskill 64GB 3200/CL14@3600/CL14 - Asus 1080ti EK-waterblock - 4x Samsung 980Pro 1TB - 1x Samsung 870 Evo 1TB - 1x SanDisc 120GB SSD - Heatkiller IV - MoRa3-360LT@9x120mm Noctua F12 - Corsair AXi-1200 - TiR5-Pro - Warthog Hotas - Saitek Combat Pedals - Asus PG278Q 27" QHD Gsync 144Hz - Corsair K70 RGB Pro - Win11 Pro/Linux - Phanteks Evolv-X 

Thank you all guys!

Please hold on.

I will open my PC, take pictures, gather information on my existing hardware and purchase project and I will update you.

- Tony -