F/A-18C, DCS World 2 and Steam

Horns

Will the Hornet sim require DCS World 2 to run? If so, will DCS World 2 release before the F/A-18C module is available, or will access to the Hornet be delayed for Steam users?

No doubt it will be worth the wait no matter how it shakes out, I'm just curious about the road map from here to there.

Modules: [A-10C] [AJS 37] [AV8B N/A] [F-5E] [F-14] [F/A-18C] [FC3] [Ka-50] [M-2000C] [Mig-21 bis] [NTTR] [PG] [SC]

Intel i7-12700F, Nvidia GTX 3080, MSI MPG Z690 Carbon WiFi, 32GB DDR4 @ 1600 MHz, SteelSeries Apex Pro, Razer Basilisk 3

VKB Gunfighter 3 w/ F-14 grip, Thrustmaster Warthog throttle, Thrustmaster MFD Cougars x2, MFG Crosswind,

DSD Flight Series button controller, XK-24, Oculus Rift (HM-A)

Early Access Products are not published on Steam Anymore.

Windows 10 Pro, Ryzen 2700X @ 4.6Ghz, 32GB DDR4-3200 GSkill (F4-3200C16D-16GTZR x2),

ASRock X470 Taichi Ultimate, XFX RX6800XT Merc 310 (RX-68XTALFD9)

3x ASUS VS248HP + Oculus HMD, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS + MFDs

Out of interest, what benefit do you get from running the steam version? Purely from an interest point of view, not judging :)

Sent from my E6653 using Tapatalk

i7-7700K 4.2 GHz, Gigabyte GTX 980 4Gb, Asus Prime z270k, 16GB Corsair Vengeance 3600MHz, Plextor PCIe SSD 256Gb, Samsung EVO 750 SSD 500Gb, 9.5TB SATA incl 4TB Mirrored. Saitek X52-Pro

I would (more) happily buy the Hornet for the standalone, but would I have to buy my other dlcs again? I have the A-10C and FC3...

If I can get keys without having to pay for those again I'd much rather go standalone. I'm itching to see DCS World 2!

Modules: [A-10C] [AJS 37] [AV8B N/A] [F-5E] [F-14] [F/A-18C] [FC3] [Ka-50] [M-2000C] [Mig-21 bis] [NTTR] [PG] [SC]

Intel i7-12700F, Nvidia GTX 3080, MSI MPG Z690 Carbon WiFi, 32GB DDR4 @ 1600 MHz, SteelSeries Apex Pro, Razer Basilisk 3

VKB Gunfighter 3 w/ F-14 grip, Thrustmaster Warthog throttle, Thrustmaster MFD Cougars x2, MFG Crosswind,

With any modules released before Mirage 2000, you can switch from Steam to standalone (without buying second license) anytime.

i7 9700K @ stock speed, single GTX1070, 32 gigs of RAM, TH Warthog, MFG Crosswind, Win10.

Oh nice, I'll look into that ASAP! Thanks everyone, it would rock to get into the standalone

With any modules released before Mirage 2000, you can switch from Steam to standalone (without buying second license) anytime.

I never managed to migrate my copy of the KA50 across from steam - its the reason Iv'e never managed to upgrade to BlackShark 2 & also why I now buy direct.

No biggie, I prefer flying fixed wing - and I'am quite happy to buy from ED direct :)

But why would anyone even use Steam DCS?

To discover DCS.

Intel i7-12700K @ 8x5GHz+4x3.8GHz + 32 GB DDR5 RAM + Nvidia Geforce RTX 2080 (8 GB VRAM) + M.2 SSD + Windows 10 64Bit

DCS Panavia Tornado (IDS) really needs to be a thing!

Tornado3 small.jpg

To discover DCS.

It's how I found it, then moved over once I found out more through the forums :)

Sent from my E6653 using Tapatalk

i7-7700K 4.2 GHz, Gigabyte GTX 980 4Gb, Asus Prime z270k, 16GB Corsair Vengeance 3600MHz, Plextor PCIe SSD 256Gb, Samsung EVO 750 SSD 500Gb, 9.5TB SATA incl 4TB Mirrored. Saitek X52-Pro

But why would anyone even use Steam DCS?

I found DCS through Steam (I think it was listed as similar to a game on a friend's wishlist). I bought FC3 and A-10C through Steam before I realized there was a standalone version of the game, and until a few days ago I thought I had to continue using Steam in order to maintain access to my DLCs.

I have the standalone version downloading as I type this, but it is going painfully slowly, at a quarter of the speed of the Steam downloads (regardless of whether I use torrent or HTTP), so if there are large updates to download regularly, or if I have Kaizer's problem and can't access any DLC, I might wind up sticking with Steam. In hindsight, I should have checked that out before buying NTTS to get access to DCS 2.

To be fair... steam automatically updates, and not only that but it is fast. I know ED is working on it but the standalone can slow down to a crawl when a lot of people are attempting to download a patch.

This. It's very nice to just launch steam and have it figure out which of your games received a random update. Not to mention that I rarely see downloads take advantage of my full down speed, but steam is one of the few places I've seen it happen. That being said I have always used the standalone DCS. But the last time I came back from a break flying, I had to wait 3 hours for patches and my game window closed before it finished. Had to wait until the next day to try the Viggen out.

• 4 weeks later...

It's a real shame ED doesn't do more to push its product n Steam. Fragmenting the community like this is no good for anyone. People who want to use standalone will, but forcing Steam users to move over to inferior download speeds and away from their platform of choice seems very shortsighted. This is the one of the main reason I'm not playing DCS so much anymore. I can't access the latest modules or scenarios.

It would be great to see ED take advantage of things like Steam Workshop for third-party mods, but this will probably never happen. Maybe with 2.0?... I can only hope.

I only play standalone dcs and don't plan to go the steam route.. but I can only agree that steam is where you want to get your "name" out to the gaming population (if sales are a part of your developer goals).

Steam update system is great/easy/fast..

If you are on steam for years and have friends, it makes for easier co-op gaming.

For ex: I can see who is online and who is specifically playing DCS. Steam also has an easy comms option for 2 players. One can simply "call" their friend via headset and voice chat through any game without adding another 3rd party software(also, in-gamer overlay).

and so on..

but yea, standalone ftw!

To my understanding not releasing the Bug on Steam in early access is only due to steam policy and has nothing to do with ED. Imaging the shitstorm when they would release it there without clarifying that it's early access. To my understanding the Bug will be released on steam when the state of the module corresponds with steam publishing policy.

I can't see that there is any possibility right now to offer more content on steam before alpha modules reach beta status, but maybe i missed something.

I think this thread makes more sense on the steam forum since they are responsible for denying firms like ED the possibility to offer early access content.

Steam policies have nothing to do with that AFAIK. It's a decission made by ED to avoid negative Reviews on Steam for Early Access products. Steam also has the functionality for beta versions, but that won't work for single modules as they are build into DCS World. They could offer the different DCS World branches though, but as I already said, ED wants to avoid criticsm by uninformed players based on Early Access versions.

Steam policies are only a problem regarding purchasing and key management.

Intel i7-12700K @ 8x5GHz+4x3.8GHz + 32 GB DDR5 RAM + Nvidia Geforce RTX 2080 (8 GB VRAM) + M.2 SSD + Windows 10 64Bit

DCS Panavia Tornado (IDS) really needs to be a thing!

Tornado3 small.jpg

Steam policies have nothing to do with that AFAIK. It's a decission made by ED to avoid negative Reviews on Steam for Early Access products. Steam also has the functionality for beta versions, but that won't work for single modules as they are build into DCS World. They could offer the different DCS World branches though, but as I already said, ED wants to avoid criticsm by uninformed players based on Early Access versions.

Steam policies are only a problem regarding purchasing and key management.

Thanks for the clarification QuiGon! Forget everything i wrote biggrin.gif

The reasoning is understandable (sadly) regarding like every M2K thread in the Forum that contains the words "Flight model" or "Radar" or "PCA"

Grüße aus Kölle

Edited by Pasquale1986

Main Module: AH-64D

Personal Wishlist: HH-60G, F-117A, B-52H

This. It's very nice to just launch steam and have it figure out which of your games received a random update. Not to mention that I rarely see downloads take advantage of my full down speed, but steam is one of the few places I've seen it happen. That being said I have always used the standalone DCS. But the last time I came back from a break flying, I had to wait 3 hours for patches and my game window closed before it finished. Had to wait until the next day to try the Viggen out.

Auto update is easy with steam, but it's not a big issue with Standalone Auto update..

I have standalone and am happy with it...

(And having steam running in the background , grabs PC ressources ... while playing DCS)

Intel I7 - 10700 K @ 3,80GHz / 64 GB DDR3 / RTX 3090 / Win 10 Home 64 bit / Logitech X56 HOTAS / HP Reverb G2  

Running DCS on latest OB version 

Because the General Steam Userbase has issues with Pre-Release Products.

They Purchase them and expect a Bug Free/Feature Complete piece of software, then give bad reviews and demand refunds

The best way to avoid it is to not offer pre-release products.

Windows 10 Pro, Ryzen 2700X @ 4.6Ghz, 32GB DDR4-3200 GSkill (F4-3200C16D-16GTZR x2),

ASRock X470 Taichi Ultimate, XFX RX6800XT Merc 310 (RX-68XTALFD9)

3x ASUS VS248HP + Oculus HMD, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS + MFDs

Because the General Steam Userbase has issues with Pre-Release Products.

They Purchase them and expect a Bug Free/Feature Complete piece of software, then give bad reviews and demand refunds

The best way to avoid it is to not offer pre-release products.

Extremely valid and accurate point here.

VR Cockpit (link):

Custom Throttletek F/A-18C Throttle w/ Hall Sensors + Otto switches | Slaw Device RX Viper Pedals w/ Damper | VPC T-50 Base + 15cm Black Sahaj Extension + TM Hornet or Warthog Grip | Super Warthog Wheel Stand Pro | Steelcase Leap V2 + JetSeat SE

VR Rig:

Pimax 5K+ | ASUS ROG Strix 1080Ti | Intel i7-9700K | Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Master | Corsair H115i RGB Platinum | 32GB Corsair Vengeance Pro RGB 3200 | Dell U3415W Curved 3440x1440