New map (WIP) Proposal

Batou

Batou where you from?

If you can teach me 3DSMAX I can give you all my afternoon for maps after work.

I can use it from my friend PC.

How much is a seat of 3DSMAX?? May be hard to justify it, but I would love to help. I'm sure I could pick up on it. I'm having to teach myself new techniques and learning new versions of CREO/PRO-E when they roll them out... :)

Intel i5-9600K @ 3.7GHz

Gigabyte Z370XP SLI Mobo

G.SKILL Ripjaws V Series 32GB (2 x 16GB) 288-Pin DDR4

GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 2070 8GB 256-Bit GDDR6(Assume the latest driver version)

Thermaltake Water 3.0 Certified Liquid Cooling System

Windows 10 Professional

Oculus Rift-S /TrackIR 5 in case VR dies

Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog w/ Thrustmaster T-Flight Rudder Pedals

How much is a seat of 3DSMAX??

Just $1440 annually.

ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero, i7-6700K, Noctua NH-D14 Cooler, Crucial 32GB DDR4 2133, Samsung 950 Pro NVMe 256GB, Samsung EVO 250GB & 500GB SSD, 2TB Caviar Black, Zotac GTX 1080 AMP! Extreme 8GB, Corsair HX1000i, Phillips BDM4065UC 40" 4k monitor, VX2258 TouchScreen, TIR 5 w/ProClip, TM Warthog, VKB Gladiator Pro, Saitek X56, et. al., MFG Crosswind Pedals #1199, VolairSim Pit, Rift CV1 :thumbup:

How much is a seat of 3DSMAX?? May be hard to justify it, but I would love to help. I'm sure I could pick up on it. I'm having to teach myself new techniques and learning new versions of CREO/PRO-E when they roll them out... :)

Its pretty expensive but my friend can do it not me.

He live just next to me so its OK. :smilewink:

1600€ per year or 300€ per month. :cry:

If you can teach me 3DSMAX I can give you all my afternoon for maps after work.

sorry, but how many decades will you have to learn 3dsmax ? :) - to reach an acceptable level - it's not about money, it's about time, aptitude, intrepidity, patience and ability

It is a preview render with the map software. In 3dsmax the high of moutains is good don't worry.

well, i prefer the opposite: i dont mind if it looks bad in 3dsmax but it must look good in dcsw, imho :D

Edited by NRG-Vampire

sign-pic4.jpg

sorry, but how many decades will you have to learn 3dsmax ? :) - to reach an acceptable level - it's not about money, it's about time, aptitude, intrepidity, patience and ability

well, i prefer the opposite: i dont mind if it looks bad in 3dsmax but it must look good in dcsw, imho :D

I have time I need the good teacher or the good video.

Just $1440 annually.

There are legal ways to get it cheaper or free if you're a student.

I wish they had the same military veterans program that Solidworks has.

I have time I need the good teacher or the good video.

It takes several years of learning to get on a high level with 3Ds Max. It's fairly complex and alot of things you can do with it. It's up there in complexity with something like Solidworks.

Edited by Priller

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

There are legal ways to get it cheaper or free if you're a student.

I wish they had the same military veterans program that Solidworks has.

It takes several years of learning to get on a high level with 3Ds Max. It's fairly complex and alot of things you can do with it. It's up there in complexity with something like Solidworks.

Which one is easier?

• 2 weeks later...

Waaaaaay back in the Operation Flashpoint there were plenty of '

'-maps. Basically a flat island with some small hills and simple 128x128 texturemap. Tooling was available on http://www.ofpec.com/.

Imagine i whish to create such Flatland desertisland for DCS World with a 128x128px texture..

Questions;

1. What tooling do you use for DCS-World map making?

2. Is this map-making process HOWTO documented anywhere?

3. Anyone care to make a 'desert island', just so we can get the ball rolling?

-- No airfields

-- No trees, no structures.

-- in principle flatland.

4. How do you translate Demographics GIS-data (back in the day .dem-formatted) to a format which could be used in map making.

-- I suppose when you have this mapdata, then create some sort of 3D surface in Blender/similiar tooling?

Edited by pappavis

met vriendelijke groet,

Михель

"умный, спортсмен, комсомолетс"

[sIGPIC]159th_pappavis.jpg[/sIGPIC]

[TABLE]SPECS: i9-9900K 32gigs RAM, Geforce 2070RTX, Creative XFi Fata1ity, TIR5, Valve Index & HP Reverb, HOTAS Warthog, Logitech G933 Headset, 10Tb storage.[/TABLE]

Some time ago I tinkered around in my GIS with elevation maps.

I got to the point where I had them filtered, filled the holes in the data, and converted them in a format usable by 3D programs. But then I had to stop because I don't have 3DsMax and I don't know what to do anyway.

My test environment was Wake Island and Midway island including the other atolls in the areas and a LOT of water around them.

I think such a map would be great for trying the tools, since the area is really small, with almost no buildings, practically flat, and since it is part of the US we have high resolution terrain data and aerial photography for building the textures.

If a 3rd party decides to do such a thing and get the tools I'd be glad to help with a little bit of GIS knowledge.

I'll work on Midway/Wake. :thumbup: Realise that a WW2 context would have many more buildings and structures and that even small map will require a lot of work. I have spent the last few months finding a good modelling and texturing workflow for producing EDM models that have high quality. I can only work on non-commercial projects while using a student copy of Max. It would be interesting to see if ED would offer tools to mod team making a free map.

Interesting!

I actually would have used modern times for the first try. It makes things much easier, and once the navy planes are here (F/A-18, A-7, F-14) that would make for a great training map. One carrier, one air field, a few hundred kilometers of water in between.

The WWII scenario based on the same map would be the second step IMO.

btw: For placing objects and making textures: Google has Streetview on the complete Midway Island. It is like being there if you build a modern times map.

EDIT: In that case also a positive point: For the buildings you would only need a few new ones, most buildings there look pretty generic. All in all there aren'T many buildings on that island anyway.

EDIT:

We probably should form a 3rd party just to be able to ask Wags what we have to do to get those damn map tools. Or maybe talk to someone..... Hang on, maybe I should just PM The_Fragger....

Edited by Aginor

non-commercial projects while using a student copy of Max. It would be interesting to see if ED would offer tools to mod team making a free map.

Blender is opensource, and it can both import/export 3ds Max files.

I have noexperience in neither 3ds, nor in Blender.

met vriendelijke groet,

Михель

"умный, спортсмен, комсомолетс"

[sIGPIC]159th_pappavis.jpg[/sIGPIC]

[TABLE]SPECS: i9-9900K 32gigs RAM, Geforce 2070RTX, Creative XFi Fata1ity, TIR5, Valve Index & HP Reverb, HOTAS Warthog, Logitech G933 Headset, 10Tb storage.[/TABLE]

Without wishing to rain on anybody's parade, I would still urge caution when it comes to creating new maps for any aircraft sim, let alone DCS. It's much more work that meets the eye.

There are ten-plus layers of "invisible" functionality on top of an average map in DCS. Things like telling aircraft what's a taxiway and what's going to tear off the gear, assuming you get as far as modelling actual air bases. Same for on-road/offroad navigation for land vehicles.

ILS.

Nav beacons.

etc.

Just be careful not to promise too much. :) It's no coincidence that it's taken ED longer than a decade to [not] release a single new map.

UltraMFCD 3.0 in the works.

https://ultramfcd.com

The NTTR map was a testbed of sorts for the new engine.

When they sort out the plugins and what not it'll be easier to build maps.... how easier I don't know.

But yes you are right. Any body can put a model in DCS, but to make it work is the challenge.

The only way to make sense out of change is to plunge into it, move with it, and join the dance.

"Me, the 13th Duke of Wybourne, here on the ED forums at 3 'o' clock in the morning, with my reputation. Are they mad.."

https://ko-fi.com/joey45

• ED Team
The NTTR map was a testbed of sorts for the new engine.

When they sort out the plugins and what not it'll be easier to build maps.... how easier I don't know.

But yes you are right. Any body can put a model in DCS, but to make it work is the challenge.

The map itself was only a small part of the development time, the engine was a larger part, I dont think the SoH has been in work that long, and is nearly complete last we heard...

64Sig.png
Forum RulesMy YouTube • My Discord - NineLine#0440• **How to Report a Bug**

1146563203_makefg(6).png.82dab0a01be3a361522f3fff75916ba4.png  80141746_makefg(1).png.6fa028f2fe35222644e87c786da1fabb.png  28661714_makefg(2).png.b3816386a8f83b0cceab6cb43ae2477e.png  389390805_makefg(3).png.bca83a238dd2aaf235ea3ce2873b55bc.png  216757889_makefg(4).png.35cb826069cdae5c1a164a94deaff377.png  1359338181_makefg(5).png.e6135dea01fa097e5d841ee5fb3c2dc5.png