So I got my tail shot off and...

And I killed the rest of the blue units...recorded a video and "landed" Just wait til it get's close lol.

Edited by Headwarp
Spoiler

Win 11 Pro, z790 i9 13900k, RTX 4090 , 64GB DDR 6400GB, OS and DCS are on separate pci-e 4.0 drives 

Sim hardware - VKB MCG Ultimate with 200mm extension, Virpil T-50CM3 Dual throttles.   Blackhog B-explorer (A), TM Cougar MFD's (two), MFG Crosswinds with dampener.   Obutto R3volution gaming pit.  

• 1 month later...

The truth is in the "Tail" ;-)

I'm not sure how realistic this woud be IRL, but I just had a similar experience in DCS 2.1 flying a mission in Nevada with KA50.

I took some heavy ground fire hits. Checked systems, all seemed OK although the helo was now becoming hard to keep pointed straight in my hover.

I continued my attack and managed two Vickers missile kills on those BTR-80's that had hit me.

I then tried to move off, but found I could only side slip the chopper and could not point the chopper or fly nose forward.

I still had collective control though and got some height and decided to look at the damage from external view.

To my surprise the whole tail section was missing!

No wonder it had been hard to point the chopper. :doh:

I still managed (with some difficulty) to fly to a nearby FARP and get down safely.

The KA is an inigma, at times it can be destroyed by a single burst of fire from almost anything. This time it suffered catastrophic damage from an auto cannon and I get to fly home ;-)

p1503038500000027

p1503038546000149

Doesn't look like there's much in the back of the tail that would critical to flight in a helicopter where pitch and yaw are controlled through the main rotors...

e185fb4bcf805a607024b1a2034d8b60.gif

I don't think it should fly 'normally' but it looks like it should still be controllable...

Cheers.

I don't think it should fly 'normally' but it looks like it should still be controllable...

As I remember it, this is exactly how the Shark behaved in the past at least; controllable, but unstable. But I've last flown her literally years ago, so no idea if something has changed in the meantime...

The DCS Mi-8MTV2. The best aviational BBW experience you could ever dream of.

...is not controllable with the tail section removed.

Hmmm... Well yeah, granted, one would assume the RL weight distribution being such that completely removing the tail would make the AC extremely nose-heavy and thus uncontrollable.

But that's just a guess regardless.

How much does the tail section weigh and what is its effect on the aircraft center of gravity with it removed?

The answer to this question is the reason that the aircraft is not controllable with the tail section removed.

Or the question should be if there is enough controllability to compensate for tail loss.

Intel i5-9600k - Asus TUF Z390 - 32GB DDR4 corsair - Gigabyte RTX 2070 - Seasonic 620W - SSD Crucial, HDD Seagate

That's what the center of gravity range defines, a range of balance points where the aircraft is safely controllable. So that's really another way of saying essentially the same thing.

Hey I'm not trying to be mean or be a smart-you-know-what or anything. I'm just saying that the game is quite wrong in this respect but it's irrelevant because quite frankly it's not worth the time to come back and revisit. The best solution, and most realistic, would be to simply remove the animation of the tail coming off, since that is extremely unlikely to happen (and when I say extremely unlikely, I'm being extremely generous).

The best solution, and most realistic, would be to simply remove the animation of the tail coming off, since that is extremely unlikely to happen (and when I say extremely unlikely, I'm being extremely generous).

I believe you are right.

Cheers.

be a smart-you-know-what or anything

Hey, you definitely didn't come across as a smart**** or anything, and I actually believe you're right in your assumption of the AC being uncontrollable after a complete tail loss. I just mentioned guesswork because no actual evidence was presented by anyone in this thread, including me ;)

Flying the Ka50 without the tail has always been possible since BS1. Sure, you will always see a more or less graceful degradation of mainly the hydraulics and electrical indeed.

Aerodynamically speaking, the tail of the Ka50 is just here to stabilize the yaw axis during cruise so the pilot does not need to adjust it all the time with the rudder. You'll notice that it gets increasingly harder to maintain a straight flight without the tail as you are flying faster because the lack of vertical stabilizers requires more counter torque from the rudders.

Now, loosing the tail have an impact on CG but, at least in the sim, it seems like you can mostly compensate this with the cyclic.