Iran, Shiraz strike mission

71st_Mastiff

impossible to shoot down AI mig21's, R60's instant 100% pilot kills, no amount of Flares will help.I watch the missiles go straight into the cockpit and not the engines, which these weapons are supposed to do go into the engines. So frustrating..

Movement of the seeker head of the IRIS-T

Infrared homing is a passive weapon guidance system which uses the infrared (IR) light emission from a target to track and follow it. Missiles which use infrared seeking are often referred to as "heat-seekers", since infrared is radiated strongly by hot bodies. Many objects such as people, vehicle engines and aircraft generate and emit heat, and as such, are especially visible in the infrared wavelengths of light compared to objects in the background.

Infrared seekers are passive devices, which, unlike radar, provide no indication that they are tracking a target. This makes them suitable for sneak attacks during visual encounters, or over longer ranges when used with a forward looking infrared system or similar cuing system. This makes heat-seekers extremely deadly; 90% of all United States air combat losses over the past 25 years have been due to infrared-homing missiles.[1] They are, however, subject to a number of simple countermeasures, most notably dropping flares behind the target to provide false heat sources. This only works if the pilot is aware of the missile and deploys the countermeasures, and modern seekers have rendered these increasingly ineffective even in that case.

Edited by Mastiff

" any failure you meet, is never a defeat; merely a set up for a greater come back, "  W Forbes

"Success is not final, failure is not fatal, it is the courage to continue that counts,"  Winston Churchill

" He who never changes his mind, never changes anything," 

MSI z690MPG DDR4 || i914900k|| ddr4-64gb PC3200 || MSI RTX 4070Ti|Game1300w|Win10x64| |turtle beach elite pro 5.1|| ViRpiL,T50cm2|| MFG Crosswinds|| VT50CM-plus rotor Throttle || G10 RGB EVGA Keyboard/MouseLogitech || PiMax Crystal VR || 32 Samsung||

The trick is not to find yourself in a fair fight. Dont drop single flares but ~10/s and pull high g maneuvers. The 21 drops its flares very ineffectively, almost every 9M is a hit. Even with 4 Mk84s, you are maneuvering as equally well as the 21, you can even achieve guns kills.

The trick is not to find yourself in a fair fight. Dont drop single flares but ~10/s and pull high g maneuvers. The 21 drops its flares very ineffectively, almost every 9M is a hit. Even with 4 Mk84s, you are maneuvering as equally well as the 21, you can even achieve guns kills.

no the Aim 9s keep missing I have tried for 3 days now to shoot these mig 21's down and one or the other gets me my wingman spends all his missiles also missing the migs. and the migs are out turning me. which I have no idea how they are, because they could not turn like that.

" any failure you meet, is never a defeat; merely a set up for a greater come back, "  W Forbes

"Success is not final, failure is not fatal, it is the courage to continue that counts,"  Winston Churchill

MSI z690MPG DDR4 || i914900k|| ddr4-64gb PC3200 || MSI RTX 4070Ti|Game1300w|Win10x64| |turtle beach elite pro 5.1|| ViRpiL,T50cm2|| MFG Crosswinds|| VT50CM-plus rotor Throttle || G10 RGB EVGA Keyboard/MouseLogitech || PiMax Crystal VR || 32 Samsung||

It also helps to drop 2 bombs at the beginning as one hit on the target is enough anyway. This enhances your maneuvering capabilities.

Of course, for the AIM9s, it depends on the aspect. They are all-aspect missiles in terms of detecting the heat source but this does not mean that they hit regardless of aspect.

Try to avoid high g maneuvers during firing, missiles of course also don't like high g maneuvers

1080p60

Edited by Mastiff

The trick is not to find yourself in a fair fight.

You engage both Mig 21 at the same time at a range where they can be dangerous to you. I would use a sparrow for the guy who is not engaged by the wingman (probably you want to go for the second one). Force him to go defensive then he is not shooting at you. Even if the sparrow misses, you have time to place yourself into a better rear aspect position.

When you try to avoid the missile, you push down to negative g's. Go for positive g's as i think you can pull more of these. Try to put as many g's onto the missile as possible, try to go to a course relative to the missile where it must steer the most. Also, you are obstructing your own flares with your aircraft as the flares are ejected downwards (if this is even simulated). Like the way you did, it is indeed unlikely that you defeat the missile. And sometimes it is just bad luck, the R60s are not too bad.

You engage both Mig 21 at the same time at a range where they can be dangerous to you. I would use a sparrow for the guy who is not engaged by the wingman (probably you want to go for the second one). Force him to go defensive then he is not shooting at you. Even if the sparrow misses, you have time to place yourself into a better rear aspect position.

When you try to avoid the missile, you push down to negative g's. Go for positive g's as i think you can pull more of these. Try to put as many g's onto the missile as possible, try to go to a course relative to the missile where it must steer the most. Also, you are obstructing your own flares with your aircraft as the flares are ejected downwards (if this is even simulated). Like the way you did, it is indeed unlikely that you defeat the missile. And sometimes it is just bad luck, the R60s are not too bad.

It’s not loaded with aim 7’s. Ok I got one and the wingman got another and then I was shot down by a 3rd mig that came in. But getting there thanks.

That's strange. I didn't change anything on the mission but i have two sparrows and two sidewinders

All I have is 2x aim9’s, and 4x m84’s, 1x center tank.

I can clearly see on the stores page in your video that you have two Sparrows loaded. Take another look.

Specs:

i9 10900K @ 5.1 GHz, EVGA GTX 1080Ti, MSI Z490 MEG Godlike, 32GB DDR4 @ 3600, Win 10, Samsung S34E790C, Vive, TIR5, 10cm extended Warthog on WarBRD, Crosswinds

I can clearly see on the stores page in your video that you have two Sparrows loaded. Take another look.

Ok I’ll look when I wake up, it’s Blurry in VR.

Edited by Mastiff

ok Aim 7 x's 2 on one mig, then aim 9 on anther; to only get to the target area and shot down by 4 more migs circling which they took out all the flights before I got there. lol AI...

The F14's are doing nothing the other F/A 18's got shot down by 4 more mig's, and Sams. so I think the AI is stupid. Going to have to make this a CO-Op mission just to finish it.

Because this SP version isn't working with the current AI Open beta we have.

Ah I see an updated version, let me give that one ago.

Edited by Mastiff

you don't need to shoot down all the MiGs to finish the mission. Just finish off one or two of the first wave and keep the second wave a little bit busy. Try to evade the SAMs near the target site with a ton of speed an even more chaff. Drop the bombs on the first pass and egress...otherwise you are dead. Cycling over the site is impossible due to the SAMs

Edit: I also didn't make it the first time. More or less at the tenth. Don't give up. Try it a little bit differently every time

On another note, Wags and Co.:

Just reminded while flying this mission of how INCREDIBLE the Shiraz area on the PG map looks. What a spectacular mission! I've had no trouble with the bandits...but bombed the wrong building twice. :-)

Love the authentic comm. clips....and, again, what a spectacular area of the map!

Thanks

i7 8700K @ Stock - Win10 64 - 32 RAM - RTX 3080 12gb OC - 55 inch 4k Display

On another note, Wags and Co.:

Just reminded while flying this mission of how INCREDIBLE the Shiraz area on the PG map looks. What a spectacular mission! I've had no trouble with the bandits...but bombed the wrong building twice. :-)

Love the authentic comm. clips....and, again, what a spectacular area of the map!

Thanks

I know right it's freaking awesome, its just gotten better over time, Like a bottle of wine!

:thumbup:

ok finally I did it and used the ccip west to east and was able to take the Command center down!! yea great mission I think I will keep practicing on it.

Edited by Mastiff

• 3 months later...

I LOVE the audio clips in this mission. Just saying. I know they are triggered but I would love more of this stuff instead of the monotone AWACS and wingmen. Also, I have yet to hit the ground target. I can get there ok, but I am kept guessing as to the target in CCIP mode. :( Trying again.

• 3 weeks later...

I have completed it using AUTO and a spread of bombs. Not exactly precision bombing but hey why put yourself at risk needlessly. In CCIP I often bomb the wrong building trying to spot it while dodging SA-6 shots.

I did the mission with JDAMS as well... didn’t cause the trigger but if it did it was fun to see the difference it made (think releasing way out of any risk of getting taken down by the SA-6 and knowing your bombs are going to hit the target).

I did it with JDAMs, I think....No results or mission success confirmation? If that building isn't the target, I don't know what is.

I think the trigger is that you deliver the right bombs in the zone so delivering a JDAM doesn’t cause the mission success trigger.

Wingman takes one target with AIM-7 and I choose the other one again with AIM-7. After the initial engagement I make a left turn towards the north of Shiraz, that gives me time to prep my bombs, AI takes out SAMs and any other hostiles, and then I ingress the target area from N-N/E, deliver the full payload with a steep CCIP dive and climb above angels 25 towards w/p 2.

Intel i7 12700k / Corsair H150i Elite Capellix / Asus TUF Z690 Wifi D4 / Corsair Dominator 32GB 3200Mhz / Corsair HW1000W / 1x Samsung SSD 970 Evo Plus 500Gb + 1 Corsair MP600 1TB / ASUS ROG Strix RTX 3080 OC V2 / Fractal Design Meshify 2 / HOTAS Warthog / TFRP Rudder / TrackIR 5 / Dell U2515h 25" Monitor 1440p

I've done this mission like 10 times and only get shot down if i go too low from the SA13's all around.. but I have yet to hit that dam building i know where it is as WP1 is a ground target of the building but if i auto bomb they miss.. always 300m short of building if i CCIP i get shot down from IR SA13 or what ever they are lol

Acer Predator 500 Laptop i7 8750 @ 3.9MHz /16GB DD4 / GTX1070 / 256 SSD

Youtube https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC3FtEcJlj_34i3IVqx6pE_w?view_as=subscriber

I've done this mission like 10 times and only get shot down if i go too low from the SA13's all around.. but I have yet to hit that dam building i know where it is as WP1 is a ground target of the building but if i auto bomb they miss.. always 300m short of building if i CCIP i get shot down from IR SA13 or what ever they are lol

So I did it with CCIP for the first time successfully. After killing my Mig (with guns while still having bombs on the racks for good measure) I flew highish (25k feet) waiting for the SEAD to attack the SAM sites then came in fast from the south, full burner, went into a 30 degree dive over the target, initiated countermeasures, released and got the heck out of there.