[NOT A BUG][MERGED] HUD COMBINER COATING

FistofZen

so playability as of secondary concern...?

After realism? I sure hope so. This is a simulator afterall.

And I'm sure mods will be released which change the tint.

Spoiler

W10-x64 | Z390 Gigabyte Aorus Ultra | Core i7 9700K @ 4.8Ghz | Noctua NH-D15

Corsair 32Gb 3200 | MSI RTX 3080ti Gaming X

Asus Xonar AE | TM Hotas Warthog

MFG Crosswind pedals | Valve Index

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

yes i understand that, but you all realize there is a difference between the human natual eye and a flat Screen. the Human eye can adapt, the screen cannot

'controlling' the Ka50 feels like a discussion with the Autopilot and trim system about the flight direction.

I think most of us want that but now, even with photo evidence, it seems that there is ambiguity about how transparent the real HUD is. Is a Hornet HUD more tinted than an Eagle HUD, for instance, or more so than other HUDs? Is a darker tint as in-game now, really representative of the the real one? IRL tints on sunglasses / visors / camera lenses etc usually has a positive effect on contrast, by subtracting obnoxious colours and so on. I mean, that is why you put coatings on in the first place. Can we honestly say this is the case in this HUD? Based on the photo evidence and in-game experience I would say no. Its not a feeling or my imagination or my opinion here, I literally posted evidence showing the effect clearly and I looked for evidence otherwise and the only think I could find is Hornet HUDs at a severe angle which is not representative of the situation. Some of those do appear quite dark, but those angles are impossible to reach in the cockpit, whilst strapped in.

Plus Most of those photo's posted above w/ nearly clear HUD Combiners are from F/A-18A/Bs, or Earlier C Blocks before the tint was applied to the Combiners.

The Tint is Realistic from what I've physically seen in person.

Thanks, that explains a lot.

We are striving for the most realistic simulation of the F/A-18C.

Thank you for doing your best, I appreciate A LOT your attention to details in your modules.

yes i understand that, but you all realize there is a difference between the human natual eye and a flat Screen. the Human eye can adapt, the screen cannot

I guess that means the human eye can adapt to a flat screen then..

Not even kidding, if you get it out of your mind that the HUD is too dark (which may or may not be true) you can get used to it and actually don't bother with it at all. For example: I didn't really notice or pay attention to the darkness (not the tint/hue) in the HUD for the first almost a week, until I saw the threads here mentioning it.

HOTAS: Thrustmaster Warthog

PC: it's much better now

so playability as of secondary concern...?

It’s a simulator, so yes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

VR Cockpit (link):

Custom Throttletek F/A-18C Throttle w/ Hall Sensors + Otto switches | Slaw Device RX Viper Pedals w/ Damper | VPC T-50 Base + 15cm Black Sahaj Extension + TM Hornet or Warthog Grip | Super Warthog Wheel Stand Pro | Steelcase Leap V2 + JetSeat SE

VR Rig:

Pimax 5K+ | ASUS ROG Strix 1080Ti | Intel i7-9700K | Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Master | Corsair H115i RGB Platinum | 32GB Corsair Vengeance Pro RGB 3200 | Dell U3415W Curved 3440x1440

I'm afraid we are having a fruitless discussion here as some people including myself experience an overly opaque HUD and others incl. community managers, moderators saying that everything is right and it's realistic. In fact many are having the problem. This thread here is not the only one on the subject.

I have come to the conclusion that probably both sides are right, and apart from subjective factors like eyesight there may be rig-related factors as well.

Realism is an important factor, but the moderators and community managers should take into account that most of us are here to have fun. And if I cannot see my target the amount of fun is very limited. And that's a pity, because otherwise this is a phantastic module. Personally I have solved the problem by using two changed .dds files which make the HUD about as transparent as that of the A-10C and work very well for me. But I'm sure a lot of people haven't found this solution. And user customization is not an ideal solution. I'm already having to manage 18 mods (mostly addressing missing commands), and I don't care for more.

So, rather than letting many people get frustrated I would suggest that ED look into a way to let opacity be adjustable, or provide a switch option on the "Special" page.

LeCuvier

Windows 10 Pro 64Bit | i7-4790 CPU |16 GB RAM|SSD System Disk|SSD Gaming Disk| MSI GTX-1080 Gaming 8 GB| Acer XB270HU | TM Warthog HOTAS | VKB Gladiator Pro | MongoosT-50 | MFG Crosswind Pedals | TrackIR 5

I'm afraid we are having a fruitless discussion here as some people including myself experience an overly opaque HUD and others incl. community managers, moderators saying that everything is right and it's realistic. In fact many are having the problem. This thread here is not the only one on the subject.

I have come to the conclusion that probably both sides are right, and apart from subjective factors like eyesight there may be rig-related factors as well.

Realism is an important factor, but the moderators and community managers should take into account that most of us are here to have fun. And if I cannot see my target the amount of fun is very limited. And that's a pity, because otherwise this is a phantastic module. Personally I have solved the problem by using two changed .dds files which make the HUD about as transparent as that of the A-10C and work very well for me. But I'm sure a lot of people haven't found this solution. And user customization is not an ideal solution. I'm already having to manage 18 mods (mostly addressing missing commands), and I don't care for more.

So, rather than letting many people get frustrated I would suggest that ED look into a way to let opacity be adjustable, or provide a switch option on the "Special" page.

LeCuvier

Windows 10 Pro 64Bit | i7-4790 CPU |16 GB RAM|SSD System Disk|SSD Gaming Disk| MSI GTX-1080 Gaming 8 GB| Acer XB270HU | TM Warthog HOTAS | VKB Gladiator Pro | MongoosT-50 | MFG Crosswind Pedals | TrackIR 5

If it makes you feel any better - I'm seeing exactly the same issue with the AV-8B - I actually have to look around the HUD when flying low through the valleys so I don't fly into the deck when it gets later in the day or in shadow from the low Sun.

I haven't posted about it because I expect exactly the same reaction as you are getting here.

Kneeboard Guides

Rig: Asus B650-GAMING PLUS; Ryzen 7800X3D ; 64GB DDR5 5600; RTX 4080; VPC T50 CM2 HOTAS; SN-1 Pedals; VR = Pico 4 over VD Wireless + Index; Point Control v2

If it makes you feel any better - I'm seeing exactly the same issue with the AV-8B - I actually have to look around the HUD when flying low through the valleys so I don't fly into the deck when it gets later in the day or in shadow from the low Sun.

I haven't posted about it because I expect exactly the same reaction as you are getting here.

It doesn't make me feel any better; but it's one of the reasons why I don't fly the AV-8B much.

But if you feel that something is wrong you have to speak up. Silent majorities never get their problems fixed.

LeCuvier

Maybe an option to be included in the options->special?

System spec: Intel i9 13900KF @ stock,  Gigabyte GeForce RTX 4090 Gaming OC 24GB GDDR6X, Gigabyte Z690 UD DDR4, Corsair Vengeance RGB PRO SL 32GB (2 x 16GB) DDR4 3600MHz C18, Samsung 980 EVO 500 GB NVME M.2 SSD (system drive), Samsung 970 EVO 1 TB NVME M.2 SSD (games drive), Cooler Master ML360 Illusion CPU Cooler, Asus XG43UQ Monitor, Oculus Quest Pro, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS, MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals

Realism is two edged sword.

As we are limited to digital displays instead our real eyes in reality, we can't observe things as in reality.

Computer displays has limited about 6-7 stops dynamic range, while human eyes are about 18-20 stops.

We could sit in a cockpit in very dim lighting situation and see very well a dark object front of us, but with displays a 20% dimming renders visibility to near zero.

So in reality thing would be right as anyone could see the tinting, but our output is limited and hence far more limiting.

So what would be realistic? In bright light tinting to be visible, in low light transparent and so on tinting gone.

i7-8700k, 32GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 2x 2080S SLI 8GB, Oculus Rift S.

i7-8700k, 16GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 1080Ti 11GB, 27" 4K, 65" HDR 4K.

I suggest please tune for visibility instead of color/tint in very bright light which appears to be what has happened.

All I can say is that there are SME's looking at this all the time, and this is one of the things they tuned. I am not going to argue with Hornet pilots.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Reminder: SAM = Speed Bump :D

I used to play flight sims like you, but then I took a slammer to the knee - Yoda

I suggest please tune for visibility instead of color/tint in very bright light which appears to be what has happened.

^^ This. Go for realism instead of visuals

I don't have the Hornet, but this problem exists in other modules too.

My DCS modding videos:

Modules I own so far:

Black Shark 2, FC3, UH-1H, M-2000C, A-10C, MiG-21, Gazelle, Nevada map

^^ This. Go for realism instead of visuals

I don't have the Hornet, but this problem exists in other modules too.

Then it wont change, as it is tuned to realism,

You mean tune to play-ability.

Windows 10 Pro, Ryzen 2700X @ 4.6Ghz, 32GB DDR4-3200 GSkill (F4-3200C16D-16GTZR x2),

ASRock X470 Taichi Ultimate, XFX RX6800XT Merc 310 (RX-68XTALFD9)

3x ASUS VS248HP + Oculus HMD, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS + MFDs

I'm on the realism wagon, but there is no need to avoid gameability options like we have labels, game mode and invulnerability to cater everyone. This kind of options take little development time, add enjoyment which in eventually means more sales and generate little problems in MP since is up to the server to enforce game or simulation options.

Enviado desde mi SM-G950F mediante Tapatalk

Then it wont change, as it is tuned to realism,

You mean tune to play-ability.

No, I meant tune for realism. One thing is the darkness of the texture matching its darkness IRL, another thing is the visibility through it matching the visibility through it IRL. If matching the visibility means that the darkness will be a bit off in relation to RL, I say visibility ranks higher. Who's going to notice or even care if darkness is off by 0.00002 if visibility is realistic?

My DCS modding videos:

Modules I own so far:

Black Shark 2, FC3, UH-1H, M-2000C, A-10C, MiG-21, Gazelle, Nevada map

• 3 weeks later...

It just doesn't make sense for the HUD to be this tinted. Look through the HUD in the light conditions on the instant 4v4 mission on Caucasus. The mod works well thanks for sharing.

Edited by Nascar

Thermaltake Core P90 Tempered Glass//Thermaltake iRGB Plus 1200W//GIGABYTE Z390 AORUS MASTER LGA 1151//i9-9900K//Thermaltake CL420 Copper Radiator//Thermaltake W4 Plus//Thermaltake 140mm Radiator Fan Triple Pack//Samsung 1TB 970 EVO NVMe M2//SAMSUNG 970 EVO M.2 500GB //CORSAIR Vengeance RGB Pro 64GB 3200//GIGABYTE AORUS GeForce RTX 2080 TI//Logitech G940//Virpil MT50 Throttle//MFG Crosswind rudder pedals//Geko GSeat//Gametrix Jetseat//Htc Vive//Pimax 5k+//Viril VFX//Razer Nari Ultimate

Another "the HUD is too dark" thread

The HUD is too dark, and I'm not basing this off real life pictures.

I'm basing it on the fact that in the sim, I cannot see stuff in front of me unless I lean to the side so I'm not looking at it through the HUD, especially at dusk or at night.

I don't really care how dark or not it is in real life. I care mostly if I can use the HUD to see stuff when it's dark outside, and right now I can't.

Maybe the developers can consider adjusting the tint so the HUD is usable at later hours in the sim?

Some comparison screenshots:

Looking at a 737 flying over the Vegas strip at dusk.

(Looking through HUD)

mNC9uQB.jpg

(Looking without the HUD)

Kw5jhJa.jpg

On the runway at Nellis during night time.

(Looking through HUD)

oJ6yGRT.png

(Looking without the HUD)

sNB2TRi.png

Yes indeed is like having sunglases while flying at night. I am not sure if this is realistic or not, however if this would be realistic, sorry but it should stay. If it is not realistic it should go

Look my post above, you have 3 Hornet's HUD picture on top, see yourself the difference with the DCS DEfault and judge if it's realistic or not. ;)

Hi Doum,

would you mind sharing that mod?

MSI MAG Z790 Carbon, i9-13900k, NH-D15 cooler, 64 GB CL40 6000mhz RAM, MSI RTX4090, Yamaha 5.1 A/V Receiver, 4x 2TB Samsung 980 Pro NVMe, 1x 2TB Samsung 870 EVO SSD, Win 11 Pro, TM Warthog, Virpil WarBRD, MFG Crosswinds, 43" Samsung 4K TV, 21.5 Acer VT touchscreen, TrackIR, Varjo Aero, Wheel Stand Pro Super Warthog, Phanteks Enthoo Pro2 Full Tower Case, Seasonic GX-1200 ATX3 PSU, PointCTRL, Buttkicker 2, K-51 Helicopter Collective Control