Is the Normandy map dead?

imacken

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

For me the (in)accuracy of the map is of no concern; sure, every improvement is welcome. To me the DM, AI, ATC and missing AI planes are much more important and that's in ED hands, so it will become better over time.

Secondly, We have now made some headway on the P-47, I expect that to start making news soon, the Mosquito is coming, I have ordered a whack of 262 documents for Yo-Yo, the asset pack is going to be getting some new AI aircraft soon and some other things I cannot speak of right now, but very exciting. So the conspiracy theory is pretty baseless.

More toys to play with :) The Mossie will be insta buy for me :pilotfly:

Windows 10 64bit, Intel i9-9900@5Ghz, 32 Gig RAM, MSI RTX 3080 TI, 2 TB SSD, 43" 2160p@1440p monitor.

For me, the things that could help with immersion aren't changes to the maps. I find the map very atmospheric, I have no serious complaints there. What I hope to see over time are:

- mission-configurable ATC voices. I'd like to hear a British accent when I'm flying a spitfire over England

- More AI WW2 bombers. At the moment I don't think there are any British or German bombers

- Some options (other than labels) to help with visibility. My poor eyes just can't make out the tiny ME109 or Spitfire at any distance at all over land :)

- An AWACS replacement? I know AWACS didn't exist at the time, but (maybe) the land-based radar stations provided a similar function at the time?

- To push my luck, maybe the V1 missile? Would make for some very interesting intercept missions, and historically accurate too.

Sinclair ZX Spectrum 48K, Kempston joystick Interface, Alba Cassette Recorder, Quickshot II Turbo Joystick

For me, the things that could help with immersion aren't changes to the maps. I find the map very atmospheric, I have no serious complaints there. What I hope to see over time are:

- mission-configurable ATC voices. I'd like to hear a British accent when I'm flying a spitfire over England

Agreed for flying with the RAF, however if flying a USAAF P-51 (or future P-47) it's most likely you'd be on frequencies operated by USAAF personnel. It was very much dependent on what the reason for your communication was. A lot of the DF stations were RAF linked but available for use by USAAF forces for example.

- More AI WW2 bombers. At the moment I don't think there are any British or German bombers

Agreed in principal; we will (pending further asset pack development) be seeing the B-25 (Mitchell) which was used solely by the RAF (and some it's Dutch, Polish and French squadrons) in NW Europe. Lancaster is supposed to be coming too.

As for Luftwaffe types, we will be getting a Ju-88A. However, this could be something of a white elephant as prototypically they were hardly ever seen in daylight during the invasion, the Germans having realised that by 1944 operating any multi-engine bomber in daylight over NW Europe was a recipe for heavy losses.

- Some options (other than labels) to help with visibility. My poor eyes just can't make out the tiny ME109 or Spitfire at any distance at all over land :)

Agreed!

- An AWACS replacement? I know AWACS didn't exist at the time, but (maybe) the land-based radar stations provided a similar function at the time?

This is really needed, especially considering that the architecture exists in DCS to have automated GCI.

There were Fighter Direction Tenders parked in the channel off the invasion beached providing GCI for the early part of the invasion:

http://www.therafatomahabeach.com/?page_id=1101

As units moved ashore the primary GCI radar type appears to have been the Type 15:

http://www.therafatomahabeach.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/11/Type-15-Radar-Type-458A-Aerial-Lorry-0011.jpg

- To push my luck, maybe the V1 missile? Would make for some very interesting intercept missions, and historically accurate too.

True, but with the majority of launch sites being in the Pas de Calais and therefore located in an area of the map that is for now undeveloped, personally I would prefer efforts in the interim to be focused on fleshing out the previously outlined elements.

Ju-88 in progress by ED and plans to a Heinkel He 111

Ju-88-01.jpg

V-1 and V-2 has into ED plans.

Secondly, We have now made some headway on the P-47, I expect that to start making news soon, the Mosquito is coming, I have ordered a whack of 262 documents for Yo-Yo, the asset pack is going to be getting some new AI aircraft soon and some other things I cannot speak of right now, but very exciting. So the conspiracy theory is pretty baseless.

DCS Kriegsmarine: Type VII and S-Boat Pilot-Able vs Channel convoys and bomber command, as feature Operation Cerberus / Channel Dash campaing

and

DCS Wehrmacht: German Soldiers FPS run vs American Paratroopers on Normandy. Panzergrenarier campaing

:music_whistling::megalol:

Edited by Silver_Dragon

V-1 and V-2 has into ED plans.

:)

I'm very happy to know that, thanks.

Sinclair ZX Spectrum 48K, Kempston joystick Interface, Alba Cassette Recorder, Quickshot II Turbo Joystick

I agree with this. There are a few anomalies, but the eponymous region of Normandy itself is covered pretty well. The map looks stunning and I get good frame rates out of it, even on my old laptop (albeit with a few settings turned down a notch).

That said, I would still welcome any improvements (esp. additional populating of the non-Normandy parts and correcting erroneous airfields).

A lot of the concerns about the map could actually be remedied using assets, aircraft and alterations to the core DCS simulator.

The biggest improvement to multiplayer and online campaigns would be the addition of a "mission-editor-placeable" fighter strip. This would give the best flexibility and allow emulation of the types of makeshift facilities used by the Luftwaffe during that time.

And German ATC for Evreux, please. Some more appropriate call-signs would also really help in this regard.

There was a major Freya site at Creil. Part of the Kammhuber Line. :-)

Freya and Würzburg sites would also make excellent targets for existing aircraft as well as the future Mosquito.

Really looking forward to the Ju 88 A-4! These were in use by I./KG54 during this time period, based out of Evreux, St.Andre and Juvincourt. They suffered huge losses during that time, but it will be really good to see them in the game (even better as flyable *hint hint*)

Not sure about the He 111 though. Did you mean He 177?

DCS Kriegsmarine: Type VII and S-Boat Pilot-Able vs Channel convoys and bomber command, as feature Operation Cerberus / Channel Dash campaing

Not a lot of air-to-U-boat contact in that area in 1944.

Cerberus would be rather anachronistic, esp. without Beauforts, Fairey Swordfish and Whirlwinds. And there would need to be German capital ships added.

But I agree Battle of Lyme Bay would certainly be feasible with player-sailable S-boats.

"As for Luftwaffe types, we will be getting a Ju-88A. However, this could be something of a white elephant as prototypically they were hardly ever seen in daylight during the invasion, the Germans having realised that by 1944 operating any multi-engine bomber in daylight over NW Europe was a recipe for heavy losses."

Oh, have some imagination, for Pete's sake. It's a Normandy map. Okay. But do you mean that I can't use it as a Normandy, 1943, map? Take a couple of Spits with me, across the channel to have a squirt at whatever we can find.

"11 o'clock, low. J-U eighty eight!"

Down we go after the hapless Hun. The Germans shouldn't have all the fun killing bombers. You guys want an ME262, also. Not used over Normnady. Who cares. Whatever ya got, boys, throw em at me!

Oh, have some imagination, for Pete's sake. It's a Normandy map. Okay. But do you mean that I can't use it as a Normandy, 1943, map? Take a couple of Spits with me, across the channel to have a squirt at whatever we can find.

"11 o'clock, low. J-U eighty eight!"

Down we go after the hapless Hun. The Germans shouldn't have all the fun killing bombers. You guys want an ME262, also. Not used over Normnady. Who cares. Whatever ya got, boys, throw em at me!

No problem from me regards hypotheticals; I am happy to use the map, ALGs and all to, stand in for pre-D-Day scenarios.

However, I prefer prototypical ops and given the trickle of updates would rather see the stuff that is directly relevant to the designated period the map is designed to represent (i.e. daytime operations post D-Day) such as the Allied mediums, the Typhoon, and the 190A and 109G arrive first.

No problem from me regards hypotheticals; I am happy to use the map, ALGs and all to, stand in for pre-D-Day scenarios.

However, I prefer prototypical ops and given the trickle of updates would rather see the stuff that is directly relevant to the designated period the map is designed to represent (i.e. daytime operations post D-Day) such as the Allied mediums, the Typhoon, and the 190A and 109G arrive first.

Yes, to all of this. The ability to fly RAMROD and CABRANK missions would add much-needed depth to activities on the Normandy map.

Very Respectfully,

Kurt "Yoda" Kalbfleisch

London

"In my private manual I firmly believed the only time there was too much fuel aboard any aircraft was if it was fire." --Ernest K. Gann

• 9 months later...
That's sounds awesome nineline! Oh yes 32 GB has made vr with pretty high settings bliss for me.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Wait, you are saying that upgrading to 32 GB system RAM made a big difference for you in VR all around? Not just big multiplayer servers? I mostly play single player, not sure if I'd be willing to pay for the RAM just to have a shot at doing multiplayer servers but if this can be confirmed that 32GB improves performance significantly in single player VR I'll be ordering more memory soon unless 2.5.5 really does make it a moot point.

Can anyone else confirm this? I guess I'd better take this to the VR area, but wanted to ask Sniper175 directly so sorry for the OT post.

My system is not as high end as yours, but it's pretty good. 8600K OC'd and GTX 1080 G1 Gaming.

On-Topic: I haven't loaded up Normandy for a long while, I guess I'd better give it another try. Shimmering and low frame rate were my major issues. I only fly in VR. As far as accuracy, ignorance is bliss!

Also this whole thing seems like a horrible business move for Ugra... if the perception is their previous map is buggy and neglected I'd expect that to seriously impact the number of sales of Syria/future maps.

Trip

Edited by TripRodriguez

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Demo of my 6DOF Motion VR Sim:

Wait, you are saying that upgrading to 32 GB system RAM made a big difference for you in VR? If this can be confirmed I'll be ordering more memory!

Can anyone else confirm this? I guess I'd better take this to the VR area, but wanted to ask Sniper175 directly so sorry for the OT post.

My system is not as high end as yours, but it's pretty good. 8600K OC'd and GTX 1080 G1 Gaming.

On-Topic: I haven't loaded up Normandy for a long while, I guess I'd better give it another try. Shimmering and low frame rate were my major issues. I only fly in VR. As far as accuracy, ignorance is bliss!

Also this whole thing seems like a horrible business move for Ugra... if the perception is their previous map is buggy and neglected I'd expect that to seriously impact the number of sales of Syria/future maps.

Trip

Yes the increase in Ram made a big difference for me in VR. Especially in Normandy. Most say 32gb is the standard for DCS world these days anyways.

I7-8700 @5GHZ, 32GB 3000MHZ RAM, 1080TI, Rift S, ODYSSEY +. SSD DRIVES, WIN10

Wait, you are saying that upgrading to 32 GB system RAM made a big difference for you in VR all around? Not just big multiplayer servers? I mostly play single player, not sure if I'd be willing to pay for the RAM just to have a shot at doing multiplayer servers but if this can be confirmed that 32GB improves performance significantly in single player VR I'll be ordering more memory soon unless 2.5.5 really does make it a moot point.

Trip

Can’t say I noticed much difference going from 16 to 32Gb.

Intel i7 12700K · MSI Gaming X Trio RTX 4090 · ASUS ROG STRIX Z690-A Wi-Fi · MSI 32" MPG321UR QD · Samsung 970 500Gb M.2 NVMe · 2 x Samsung 850 Evo 1Tb · 2Tb HDD · 32Gb Corsair Vengance 3000MHz DDR4 · Windows 11 · Thrustmaster TPR Pedals · Tobii Eye Tracker 5 · Thrustmaster F/A-18 Hornet Grip · Virpil MongoosT-50CM3 Base · Virpil Throttle MT-50 CM3 · Virpil Alpha Prime Grip · Virpil Control Panel 2 · Thrustmaster F-16 MFDs · HTC Vive Pro 2 · Total Controls Multifunction Button Box

In this case, it does.

I remember, Wags said something like this. Ugra Media will return to the normandy when they finished the work on their new syria map.

Or they just claim that so that their sales don't suffer - until it's too late to do anything about it.

Vote with your wallets. Don't buy the Syria map!

First, and again, it's up to the 3rd Party who created it. Personally, I have wanted Speedtrees just as much as the next guy because they do look and perform better.

Then reflect that in the store page system requirements instead of just copy-pasting the same thing on every module when that's simply not the case. As we can all see clearly.

It's dishonest. If that is also "up to the 3rd party", then goddamn call them out on it.

And how come Ugra-Media gets to develop another map for DCS when this is the response?

The same reason they can start the F-16 when the F/A-18 isn't finished. Money.

Well at least the F/A-18 is well underway and getting fairly regular updates, which is completely different from Normandy being all-but-abandoned and claims that they'll "fix it once Syria is done".

If all updates would've stopped on the F/A-18 "until the F16 is done" people would be rioting in the streets.

Don't buy the Syria map!

I understand where you're coming from, but the map's just a tad too compelling to pass up. So personally I'm just hoping that Ugra will indeed fix Normandy after Syria is released.

The DCS Mi-8MTV2. The best aviational BBW experience you could ever dream of.

I understand where you're coming from, but the map's just a tad too compelling to pass up. So personally I'm just hoping that Ugra will indeed fix Normandy after Syria is released.

In that case you'd better start praying that they bother with implementing SpeedTrees (and VR terrain fixes) this time around, because the coverage area their going for is densely forested (Jordan Valley, the Lebanon mountain range, and the southeastern Taurus mountains of Turkey.

Without this, it's gonna be dead on arrival.

In that case you'd better start praying that they bother with implementing SpeedTrees (and VR terrain fixes) this time around, because the coverage area their going for is densely forested (Jordan Valley, the Lebanon mountain range, and the southeastern Taurus mountains of Turkey.

Without this, it's gonna be dead on arrival.

Obviously, I can't speak for Ugra, but I would imagine that Syria will have speedtrees, as the issue with Normandy was/is that speedtrees came in after the map was developed, and they haven't bothered to update it.

Intel i7 12700K · MSI Gaming X Trio RTX 4090 · ASUS ROG STRIX Z690-A Wi-Fi · MSI 32" MPG321UR QD · Samsung 970 500Gb M.2 NVMe · 2 x Samsung 850 Evo 1Tb · 2Tb HDD · 32Gb Corsair Vengance 3000MHz DDR4 · Windows 11 · Thrustmaster TPR Pedals · Tobii Eye Tracker 5 · Thrustmaster F/A-18 Hornet Grip · Virpil MongoosT-50CM3 Base · Virpil Throttle MT-50 CM3 · Virpil Alpha Prime Grip · Virpil Control Panel 2 · Thrustmaster F-16 MFDs · HTC Vive Pro 2 · Total Controls Multifunction Button Box