Who auto starts their aircraft

CBenson89

I know this is gonna be contentious but who here uses auto start? I literally never use it for any aircraft because I feel like it defeats the purpose of playing a game like this. If I want to auto start I’ll go play arma or ace combat or something. I love bringing the jet and it’s systems to life.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have a full-time job, cook and clean for myself, and regularly go to the gym and enjoy other hobbies. During the work season there just isn't time for "proper" starts, so I either do an auto start or a hot ramp start most of the time.

During vacation periods when I have more free time I'll do full cold starts.

The argument against auto starts or hot starts purely boils down to gate-keeping arrogance, i.e. "I'm better than those auto start plebs." Same with the sim vs. game argument. Are you using this simulator to train to real life? No? Then it technically isn't a simulator in the true sense, especially when you consider that "simulator" could apply to DCS, Xplane, P3D, FS2020, yet the difference in fidelity among these titles is quite large.

Edited by Nealius
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Sometimes for just training or time constraint reasons I’ll auto start and time accelerate. But most real DCS missions or campaign missions are so long that the startup time is inconsequential. Sometimes for a particular quick mission I might want to rerun or something it’s worthwhile. Generally I like the full start as it’s all immersive etc.

i9-13900K @ 6.2GHz oc | ASUS ROG MAXIMUS Z790 HERO | 64GB DDR5 5600MHz | iCUE H150i Liquid CPU Cooler | 24GB GeForce RTX 4090 | Windows 11 Home | 2TB Samsung 980 PRO NVMe | Corsair RM1000x | LG 48GQ900-B 4K OLED Monitor | CH Fighterstick | Ch Pro Throttle | CH Pro Pedals | TrackIR 5

I use both tbh, but I like manual start overall. For the F-16/18 I almost always manual start it, for the Mirage I autostart, simply because I havent bothered to learn it yet. TBH one of the main reasons I dislike the autostart it how inefficient it is. Being an airquake/air combat/BVR guy I really dont care for the full complete startups, its just not what I play for. I can literally start the F-16 in 30 sec manually, the Hornet under a minute (excluding INS alignment). Meanwhile the autostart seems to take forever. Just my 2c

• Like 1

Eagle Enthusiast, Fresco Fan. Patiently waiting for the F-15E. Clicky F-15C when?

HP Z400 Workstation

Intel Xeon W3680 (i7-980X) OC'd to 4.0 GHz, EVGA GTX 1060 6GB SSC Gaming, 24 GB DDR3 RAM, 500GB Crucial MX500 SSD. Thrustmaster T16000M FCS HOTAS, DIY opentrack head-tracking. I upload DCS videos here https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC0-7L3Z5nJ-QUX5M7Dh1pGg

I have a full-time job, cook and clean for myself, and regularly go to the gym and enjoy other hobbies. During the work season there just isn't time for "proper" starts, so I either do an auto start or a hot ramp start most of the time.

During vacation periods when I have more free time I'll do full cold starts.

The argument against auto starts or hot starts purely boils down to gate-keeping arrogance, i.e. "I'm better than those auto start plebs." Same with the sim vs. game argument. Are you using this simulator to train to real life? No? Then it technically isn't a simulator in the true sense, especially when you consider that "simulator" could apply to DCS, Xplane, P3D, FS2020, yet the difference in fidelity among these titles is quite large.

100% this

How often I do auto start is directly proportional to how much time I have to myself.... yadda yadda yadda, I auto start quite a bit.

F-14B, F-16, F-18C, A-10C, F-5E, F-86, FC3, BF-109, FW-190, P-51, Spitfire, UH-1,AJS-37 Viggen, MIG-15, MIG-19, MIG-21, AV-8B Harrier, P-47D

Persian Gulf, Caucuses, NTTR, Normandy, The Channel, Syria

Combined Arms, WWII Assets,Super Carrier

TM Warthog, Virpil VFX,BuddyFox UFC, Saitek Pro Flight quadrant & Switch Panel, Odyssey+ VR, Jet Pad w/ SSA, Voice Attack w/Viacom Pro

GeForce RTX2080TI OC, Intel Core i7-7700K 4.5Ghz, 64GB DDR4, Dedicated 1TB SSD

When the A-10C came out i always cold started the thing but since then a lot of modules were added and i can't remember each and one of those startup sequences, especially when i don't fly them for a long time (i'm way beyond 51 already, things don't get any easier). So auto-start it became most of the time.

Win11 Pro 64-bit, Ryzen 5800X3D, Corsair H115i, Gigabyte X570S UD, EVGA 3080Ti XC3 Ultra 12GB, 64 GB DDR4 G.Skill 3600. Monitors: LG 27GL850-B27 2560x1440 + Samsung SyncMaster 2443 1920x1200, HOTAS: Warthog with Virpil WarBRD base, MFG Crosswind combat pedals, TrackIR4, Rift-S.

Personal Wish List: A6 Intruder, Vietnam theater, decent ATC module, better VR performance!

I am probably one of the greatest flight model and system realism snobs, and I use auto start. Used to not, but that was in a period when I did not have one full time and one part time job, as well as personal projects, other hobbies, and almost every aircraft module.

It doesn't defeat the purpose indeed. The purpose of having aircraft with as realistic flight models, systems, and where applicable also weapons as possible remains very much intact.

Wishlist: F-4E Block 53 +, MiG-27K, Su-17M3 or M4, AH-1F or W circa 80s or early 90s, J35 Draken, Kfir C7, Mirage III/V

DCS-Dismounts Script

• ED Team

I use auto start a lot, while it is happening I can get other stuff done or fetch a drink.

Play however you like :)

smallCATPILOT.PNG.04bbece1b27ff1b2c193b174ec410fc0.PNG

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2

I don't own all modules, but in the ones I do, putting immersion and whatnot aside, starting them manually is actually much faster, so I stick with it.

I'm mostly a warbird guy, however. I suppose things might be different for modern jet players.

i7 9700K @ stock speed, single GTX1070, 32 gigs of RAM, TH Warthog, MFG Crosswind, Win10.

Always cold start on the A-10C. Autostart quite often on the other modules.

A-10A, A-10C, A-10C II, AV-8B, F-5E, F-16C, F/A-18C, F-86F, Yak-52, Nevada, Persian Gulf, Syria, Supercarrier, Combined Arms, FW 190 A-8, FW 190 D-9, Spitfire LF Mk. IX, Normandy + WWII Assets Pack

One of the joys of DCS, ie it allows pilots to chose.

If other players use auto start, that’s fine by me.

As for myself, I don’t actually know how to auto start.

System: 9700, 64GB DDR4, 2070S, NVME2, Rift S, Jetseat, Thrustmaster F18 grip, VPC T50 stick base and throttle, CH Throttle, MFG crosswinds, custom button box, Logitech G502 and Marble mouse.

Server: i5 2500@3.9Ghz, 1080, 24GB DDR3, SSD.

This is like asking people how they like their tea.

I think the statement behind it, is, "How clever do I feel" which is a bit silly. Go do it with every single module and it's still not some sort of feat. Its highly useful, let me share a couple of normal, not so "I'm clever remebering a 40 keypress sequence"

1) It's actually useful for recalling which way all your switches are set. Not all modules have good setups for cold and dark, going through the cold start gets you to look a good way around the cockpit and makes you think of things that cannot be setup. Good example, A-A waypoint for the F-18, what actually is the Bullseye for today? Asking that question before you start is better than asking it whilst defending a missile.

2) It's a good refresher on the placement of the switches. Like many folks, if you are using lots of the modules in DCS, some have common themes and others put things in places you dont expect. So the startup sequence is a short period of acclimitisation. It goes places you dont always have time to look at, keeps your brain wired into the aircraft layout and covers a deeper set of switchology.

All the debate about sim vs game are redundant. Often the case the aircraft in many countries and type is started for a pilot anyway, there's way too much missed out to begin to start the comparisons here, but, it IS useful.

SIMPLE SCENERY SAVING * SIMPLE GROUP SAVING * SIMPLE STATIC SAVING *