Feedback on VOIP

NineLine

Feedback on VOIP  

107 members have voted

1. 1. Feedback on VOIP

• Yes, working fine here.
    • No, I couldn't get it to work right.

Not sure why ED is even doing this as we have excellent tools now such as Discord and SRS

Are you kidding? Having to use an outside-of-game, 3rd party tool like Discord or SRS is ridiculous. ED doing this is a no-brainer. I just wish MP guys would start investing in it so that ED would prioritize the bug smashing and get it running smoothly. But the idea of Voice Chat in-house is one of the simpler decisions for the Devs to make. :thumbup:

• Like 11

i7 8700K @ Stock - Win10 64 - 32 RAM - RTX 3080 12gb OC - 55 inch 4k Display

• 3 months later...

Any news on this feature? Is it still being worked on? Seems like it's been ages since it was introduced and no real work on it has progressed. Thank you.

• Like 2

Specs: Win10, i5-13600KF, 32GB DDR4 RAM 3200XMP, 1 TB M2 NVMe SSD, KFA2 RTX3090, VR G2 Headset, Warthog Throttle+Saitek Pedals+MSFFB2  Joystick. 

• 2 months later...

Hmm no news on integrated VoiP in the latest newsletter. It's a shame that there is nothing on the horizon for the foreseeable future.

• Like 1

Specs: Win10, i5-13600KF, 32GB DDR4 RAM 3200XMP, 1 TB M2 NVMe SSD, KFA2 RTX3090, VR G2 Headset, Warthog Throttle+Saitek Pedals+MSFFB2  Joystick. 

On 1/9/2021 at 1:18 PM, Lurker said:

Hmm no news on integrated VoiP in the latest newsletter. It's a shame that there is nothing on the horizon for the foreseeable future.

Yeah :hmm:

Modules I own: F-14A/B, Mi-24P, AV-8B N/A, AJS 37, F-5E-3, MiG-21bis, F-16CM, F/A-18C, Supercarrier, Mi-8MTV2, UH-1H, Mirage 2000C, FC3, MiG-15bis, Ka-50, A-10C (+ A-10C II), P-47D, P-51D, C-101, Yak-52, WWII Assets, CA, NS430, Hawk.

Terrains I own: South Atlantic, Syria, The Channel, SoH/PG, Marianas.

System:

GIGABYTE B650 AORUS ELITE AX, AMD Ryzen 5 7600, Corsair Vengeance DDR5-5200 32 GB, Western Digital Black SN850X 1 TB (DCS dedicated) & 2 TB NVMe SSDs, Corsair RM850X 850 W, NZXT H7 Flow, MSI G274CV.

Peripherals: VKB Gunfighter Mk.II w. MCG Pro, MFG Crosswind V3 Graphite, Logitech Extreme 3D Pro.

• 3 weeks later...

So let me ask you guys. I'd like to move away from the third party Software like discord and SRS. is this working and how well does it work? Is there any documentation on setting it up for a server and clients. 

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Not ready if you look for more than two voice chat rooms.

Ingame Comms will be great, but it needs to provide at least the basic functions of SRS/Radio integration.

Otherwise there is no point switching.

Intel I9 10900k @5.1GHz | MSI MEG Z490 Unify | Corsair Vengeance 64GB - 3600MHz | EVGA RTX 3090 FTW3
VPC T-50 Base /w Viper & Hornet Grip | VPC Rotor TCS Pro w/ Hawk-60 Grip | TM TPR
LG C2 42" | Reverb G2 | TIR 5 | PointCtrl | OpenKneeboard

On 2/2/2021 at 2:27 AM, Gruman said:

Not ready if you look for more than two voice chat rooms.

Ingame Comms will be great, but it needs to provide at least the basic functions of SRS/Radio integration.

Otherwise there is no point switching.

Gruman 

thanks for the reply. Step in the right direction but needs work so hopefully they continue to develop this. 

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

• 3 months later...

I've got some constructive feedback.

For my use-case it's necessary to override the key-binding used for voice communications on a plane-basis.
This requires moving the binding away from the UI-Layer.

I cannot use the current bindings, as my modifier keys are different based on the plane I'm flying.

(The modifier key on the f14, is used as a normal button in the A10 and vice versa.  The F18 uses no modifier at all)

• Thanks 1

• 7 months later...

RE Latest Open Beta patch -

Setup and use went smoothly, but there seems to be a bug with it where when the Radio is active it lowers all audio on Windows. (Confirmed with several people I fly with and by this forum post by another person:

It seems to be related to the "Voice Chat Output" setting. When set to another audio device not being used, the volumes remain where they should be (but since its an unused/non active device, you can no longer hear broadcasts over the new VOX Radio). When set to the actual audio device for windows sound output, all audio is lowered system wide.

I can't find the control mapping for the "push to talk" button on the "chat room" mode. There was also no mention in the pdf instructions. 

Also I couldn't find instructions on using/hearing & transmitting on the guard/tactical frequency.

On 5/19/2021 at 5:41 PM, Killerpils said:

I've got some constructive feedback.

For my use-case it's necessary to override the key-binding used for voice communications on a plane-basis.
This requires moving the binding away from the UI-Layer.

I cannot use the current bindings, as my modifier keys are different based on the plane I'm flying.

(The modifier key on the f14, is used as a normal button in the A10 and vice versa.  The F18 uses no modifier at all)

+1 for aircraft specific bindings. I have the TM Warthog HOTAS and I already don't have enough buttons. 

Having Voicechat in "Push to talk" mode, I have assigned "Transmit Switch - UHF (call radio menu)" command to my F-16.
If I press the respective button on the stick, Voicechat does not open the mic. Only the communication menu "UHF Radio AN/ARC-164" opens up.
If I manually click on "Mic on", I can hear my voice on the other computer.

WTF? Is Voicechat really ready for use or what is this?

Edited by TOViper

Visit https://www.viggen.training
...Viggen... what more can you ask for?

my computer:
AMD Ryzen 5600G | NVIDIA GTX 1080 Ti OC 11GB | 32 GB 3200 MHz DDR4 DUAL | SSD 980 256 GB SYS + SSD 2TB DCS | TM Warthog Stick + Throttle + TPR | Rift CV1

2 ore fa, TOViper ha scritto:

Having Voicec hat in "Push to talk" mode, I have assigned "Transmit Switch - UHF (call radio menu)" command to my F-16.
If I press the respective button on the stick, Voicechat does not open the mic. Only the communication menu "UHF Radio AN/ARC-164" opens up.
If I manually click on "Mic on", I can hear my voice on the other computer.

WTF? Is Voicechat really ready for use or what is this?

The right assignment is under the "Radio VoIP" menu, that is under the general drop down menu (not the f18 drop down sub menu)... You have to check the That assignment brings only the radio menu as the name says.

InkedScreen_220101_232517.jpg

BREAK BREAK

I have, instead, two other issues:

The first is, when I plug in a new input device in game, it breaks the microphone input and cannot detect any sound from any mic. When you are the host it's very annoying.

The second problem is that I cannot hear anything from ONE SINGLE PLAYER, and that specific player cannot hear anything from me. I can hear all the other players, in any game, but the relationship between me and him seems to be disliked by DCS somehow.

Edited by psimo46
  • Thanks 1

Several people cannot transmit, although the indicator shows a transmittion and there are signs of someone else speaking (PTT), But they don't hear each other. On the other hand, someone can listen in one direction. On the other hand, some can both seem normal.

What's the problem here? 

Edited by EagleEye11

cropped-GVAW_RC2.png

DCS INDONESIA COMMUNITY
Garuda virtual Air Wing
Official Website | Discord | Facebook | Instagram

My feed back does echo others previously. I found the quality of the audio too good when using the voice chat with the radios. One can’t help making the comparison with SRS and the immersive squelch and radio voice SRS provides. So for my squadron buddies a radio voice would be preferable to maintain the immersion. 

• Like 1

i7 7700 @ 4.7GHz--GTX1080ti--Samsung SSD 500GB--32 gigs of RAM--TH Warthog--Crosswinds rudder--HP Reverb--Dedicated Sim room.

My thoughts:

I’m very excited for this but we need some fixes fast

VoIP  needs to default on and default to radio (not common room)  A player unfamiliar with this at least understands the radios in the cockpit but the UI is hard to find and setup, unless you really want to figure it out.  If you do this, a lot of unassuming players might stumble into this and really enjoy it.

For this to work we need universal adoption and make the player choose to disable it if he desires, not the other way around

key bindings are hard to understand and the universal setting conflicts and plane specific settings are quite confusing

Why can’t I bind the interface screen to anything other than a keyboard key?  That sucks

we really need radio distortion and fast, at least in some basic form.  It sucks that it sounds like it does currently

Again, so close but so far

Edited by redcoat22

vor 10 Minuten schrieb redcoat22:

My thoughts:

I’m very excited for this but we need some fixes fast

VoIP  needs to default on and default to radio (not common room)  A player unfamiliar with this at least understands the radios in the cockpit but the UI is hard to find and setup, unless you really want to figure it out.  If you do this, a lot of unassuming players might stumble into this and really enjoy it.

For this to work we need universal adoption and make the player choose to disable it if he desires, not the other way around

key bindings are hard to understand and the universal setting conflicts and plane specific settings are quite confusing

Why can’t I bind the interface screen to anything other than a keyboard key?  That sucks

we really need radio distortion and fast, at least in some basic form.  It sucks that it sounds like it does currently

Again, so close but so far

To have radio as "default" when entering a cockpit, there is an option in the settings. I personally think it's better to have room mode, by default, as especially newcomers to Multiplayer struggle with operating the radios. It's easier for an experienced player/instructor to explain radio and the voice chat in a "room", then show how to switch to the radio mode.

Not everyone is an experienced player.

• Like 1

Shagrat

- Flying Sims since 1984 -:pilotfly:

Win 10 | i5 10600K@4.1GHz | 64GB | GeForce RTX 3090 - Asus VG34VQL1B  | TrackIR5 | Simshaker & Jetseat | VPForce Rhino Base & VIRPIL T50 CM2 Stick on 200mm curved extension | VIRPIL T50 CM2 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Plus/Apache64 Grip | MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals | WW Top Gun MIP | a hand made AHCP | 2x Elgato StreamDeck (Buttons galore)

A couple things I would like to see:

• mic click. Can be placeholder, or a simple "beep" to know the radio transmits
  • the ability to assign different keybinds to the cockpit PTT buttons per each(!) module. This is crucial to address flying planes AND helicopters as you need PTT on different controllers, namely throttle vs. joystick! E.g. F/A-18C COMM switch is on the throttle, in the Mi-24P or AH-64D you have PTT on the cyclic!
  • Room PTT should work with any PTT pressed.

Apart from that the implementation is very promising. If we get the effects like "radio/distortion", realistic squelch, clicks, encryption sounds this will be a big ease of use for multiplayer comms.

👍🏻

• Like 1

Shagrat

Win 10 | i5 10600K@4.1GHz | 64GB | GeForce RTX 3090 - Asus VG34VQL1B  | TrackIR5 | Simshaker & Jetseat | VPForce Rhino Base & VIRPIL T50 CM2 Stick on 200mm curved extension | VIRPIL T50 CM2 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Plus/Apache64 Grip | MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals | WW Top Gun MIP | a hand made AHCP | 2x Elgato StreamDeck (Buttons galore)

10 hours ago, shagrat said:

To have radio as "default" when entering a cockpit, there is an option in the settings. I personally think it's better to have room mode, by default, as especially newcomers to Multiplayer struggle with operating the radios. It's easier for an experienced player/instructor to explain radio and the voice chat in a "room", then show how to switch to the radio mode.

Not everyone is an experienced player.

I guess We agree but disagree with the process.  I feel like the unassuming pilot spawns in the plane and if the radio is on the common room (default) he won’t hear anything happening and not even know a bunch of people are chatting and talking on the radio.  He probably won’t know to find the obscure keyboard key bind to open the UI and he won’t know to click the sprocket and switch to radio.  

Maybe your friends are smarter than mine, as mine wouldn’t do all that without coaching

vor 6 Stunden schrieb redcoat22:

I guess We agree but disagree with the process.  I feel like the unassuming pilot spawns in the plane and if the radio is on the common room (default) he won’t hear anything happening and not even know a bunch of people are chatting and talking on the radio.  He probably won’t know to find the obscure keyboard key bind to open the UI and he won’t know to click the sprocket and switch to radio.  

Maybe your friends are smarter than mine, as mine wouldn’t do all that without coaching

Make the overlay visible by default, would fix the "awareness". Anyway, just think about multiple "newbies" to radio ops popping into servers, using the radios to "talk" to the other guys, unaware of the implication and basically blocking/jamming the frequency intermittent. Either everyone else is switching to another frequency (so they can't here them anyway) or they get instructions on how to use / get on the radio, and then there's no problem to add a "first click on the antenna icon, when ready to switch to radio comms mode".

But if they run into problems, the default coalition room would be active and any experienced player, just needs to switch back to room and pick them up and help them, with bi-directional comms.

Experienced players will simply activate the "switch to radio on start" option.

Shagrat

• 3 weeks later...
On 1/1/2022 at 11:28 PM, psimo46 said:

The right assignment is under the "Radio VoIP" menu, that is under the general drop down menu (not the f18 drop down sub menu)... You have to check the That assignment brings only the radio menu as the name says.

InkedScreen_220101_232517.jpg

BREAK BREAK

I have, instead, two other issues:

The first is, when I plug in a new input device in game, it breaks the microphone input and cannot detect any sound from any mic. When you are the host it's very annoying.

The second problem is that I cannot hear anything from ONE SINGLE PLAYER, and that specific player cannot hear anything from me. I can hear all the other players, in any game, but the relationship between me and him seems to be disliked by DCS somehow.

Did you resolve this problem?

I have same problem when I am a hosting MP, my mic just blocks or player joined to my server also dont have any response on the mic?

Thx in advance

Edited by Airbarba

Love it so far, but please have an input volume that doesn't change the windows volume. For me and the group I play with everyone was incredibly loud by default but changing the input changed windows setting so we couldn't hear each other on discord. Obviously you can change the volume of others but having to do it to everyone would get annoying, and knowing that by default you're all blowing peoples ears out isn't comforting

Edited by Snakepit92
  • Like 1

Il 29/1/2022 at 17:17, Airbarba ha scritto:

Did you resolve this problem?

I have same problem when I am a hosting MP, my mic just blocks or player joined to my server also dont have any response on the mic?

Thx in advance

Nope, no solution so far. To be honest I have been using DCS not so often lately, so I can't verify, but until the last time I used it I was wishing strongly to revert to SRS

On 2/3/2022 at 3:57 PM, psimo46 said:

Nope, no solution so far. To be honest I have been using DCS not so often lately, so I can't verify, but until the last time I used it I was wishing strongly to revert to SRS

Well

Its working fine with me now...it was on my side as a host to forward 10309 port.(10308,10309,10310)

Furthermore  MODs like Rafale or Su30MK can make problems as you have to add radio to them too,hope it helps!

Screenshot (19).png

• Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...

Is anyone else having issues when they respawn? When someone would respawn today, we could all hear them, but the respawned aircraft could not hear any of us. It seemed the only fix was to exit the server, come back in, then all was good again.

It was our first go at it today, and other than the respawn issue, it seemed to work well. After just a few checkboxes and PTT bindings, we just turned on our radios and it worked.

Miles

Now shipping up to website Pre-Order Form date 2022/06/01

Pre-Order  Form Submission https://pointctrl.com/preorder-form/

PointCTRL Support Discord https://discord.gg/jH5FktJ

PintCTRL Website https://pointctrl.com/

PointCTRLsmall.jpg

• 1 year later...

I predominantly fly the Apache and also the F18 even though I have lots of modules.  

In F18 - Using SRS I would assign each radio to one ear… so in left ear I have Radio 1 and in right ear Radio 2… means I know instantly who is talking to me and on what radio.

in the Apache… I do similar, FM1 is in left ear, FM2 is in Right ear… VHF and UHF are in both ears but I dial the volume down on one or the other to help work out which on is calling. 

Problem with Voice Chat, unless I’ve missed something, you can’t do this. Therefore knowing whose who on which radio is nigh on impossible… therefore you have no idea which radio to use to reply.

Also, unlike SRS the overlay is huge, and for those of us who are colourblind, I can’t make out the difference between green and yellow… the colours need to change. 

Until Voice Chat is more mature and user friendly I’m going back to SRS.

• Like 1