Fly by wire

Shibbyland

You can, but you wouldn't, the protections are there for a reason. If this losing dogfight you need to analyse why.

The hornet should perform better against those opponents in a single circle flight at slow speed. You can use Tacview to review your fights.

That said you can engage the spin switch on the right of the forward panel which will achieve what you originally asked, but I wouldn't recommend it.

While on the FBW topic..

What stick pressure does the pilots feel in the F/A-18? Is it a linear pressure that gets stronger throughout all the flight envelopes or how much artificial feel is involved here?

Hi,

Is it possible to remove the protections given to you by the aircraft and allow full control deflection at any speed? I have trouble making turns against F15s, SU27s etc.

Keep your speed around 360kts, don't bleed off the speed to take the snap shot, always be prepared to get in a guns position always (Missiles fail, guns rarely jam). Fly lag pursuit to keep the speed up, don't go to fast either. Keep it under 400 so you can whip it when you need to. Practice;)

Atk-G2.jpg

Edited by David OC

i7-7700K OC @ 5Ghz | ASUS IX Hero MB | ASUS GTX 1080 Ti STRIX | 32GB Corsair 3000Mhz | Corsair H100i V2 Radiator | Samsung 960 EVO M.2 NVMe 500G SSD | Samsung 850 EVO 500G SSD | Corsair HX850i Platinum 850W | Oculus Rift | ASUS PG278Q 27-inch, 2560 x 1440, G-SYNC, 144Hz, 1ms | VKB Gunfighter Pro

Chuck's DCS Tutorial Library

Download PDF Tutorial guides to help get up to speed with aircraft quickly and also great for taking a good look at the aircraft available for DCS before purchasing. Link

Hey hang on a minute I'm not complaining the aircraft lacks performance at all, I'm saying I don't know how to access the performance it's capable of. It's the first complex fighter module I've had so I'm not used to how it behaves. The handling is weird, large control inputs for comparatively little response and I know it's just the aircraft saying "chill out, can't do that at this speed". The question is, what should I be doing? Is it totally unrealistic to expect to it behave like the FC3 aircraft in terms of handling?

I've got the A10C so I'm used to having to learn systems but up until now the only fighters I've had a go with are the F15 and Su27. The F15 is so simple and easy to fly just smashing it round with "over G over G" blaring and no consequences and the weapons are very easy to select and use it's taking time to get used to a more detailed fighter.

I suspect if the F15 were a full module like the Hornet it'd be a lot more difficult to fly.

Am I right in thinking the F18 should totally outmatch the F15 in a turning fight? At present I'm struggling to achieve this and in part I think it's because I can't do the mental manoeuvres I'm used to.

Edited by Shibbyland

While on the FBW topic..

What stick pressure does the pilots feel in the F/A-18? Is it a linear pressure that gets stronger throughout all the flight envelopes or how much artificial feel is involved here?

Stick centring forces are provided by springs in the Hornet. Artificial feel is provided by the FCS moving the controls less for a given stick displacement as speed increases (rather than a more conventional arrangement where control surface to stick movement remains proportional, but requires more stick force). Hopefully that makes sense. This might help also:

11.1.5 Stick Force. In maneuvering flight, there is a light but constant stick force per g (about 3.5 to

4.5 pounds/g). Unlike many other aircraft, maneuvering stick forces do not vary significantly over the

entire operating envelope as long as the AOA is less than AOA feedback of 22°. Where AOA feedback

is active, maneuvering stick forces are increased significantly.

Hey hang on a minute I'm not complaining the aircraft lacks performance at all, I'm saying I don't know how to access the performance it's capable of. It's the first complex fighter module I've had so I'm not used to how it behaves. The handling is weird, large control inputs for comparatively little response and I know it's just the aircraft saying "chill out, can't do that at this speed". The question is, what should I be doing? Is it totally unrealistic to expect to it behave like the FC3 aircraft in terms of handling?

I've got the A10C so I'm used to having to learn systems but up until now the only fighters I've had a go with are the F15 and Su27. The F15 is so simple and easy to fly just smashing it round with "over G over G" blaring and no consequences and the weapons are very easy to select and use it's taking time to get used to a more detailed fighter.

I suspect if the F15 were a full module like the Hornet it'd be a lot more difficult to fly.

Am I right in thinking the F18 should totally outmatch the F15 in a turning fight? At present I'm struggling to achieve this and in part I think it's because I can't do the mental manoeuvres I'm used to.

Ignore probad, they're just a troll.

The F-15 has a fully fledged flight model, so if it ever gets turned into a full module I don't think it'll fly much differently. It is a purpose build air superiority fighter, where as the Hornet is not, so the F-15 should in theory beat it. However air combat is a very complex topic and while I wouldn't pretend to know the half of it, I can hopefully give you some pointers.

Accessing best performance probably isn't your biggest issue, it's how to position yourself so you're in a situation where your aircraft performs better relative to the aircraft you're fighting. For example, when comparing two aircraft, one may turn better at high speed but worst at slow speed. In the case of the Hornet, I believe getting into a slow 1, or single, circle fight is where you'll have your best chance.

Flow.jpg

Corner speed is an important concept. It would be too much to go into here, but in simple terms it's the speed at which your plane turns best. Any faster or slower and your turn won't be as good.

You need to learn about the geometry of a dogfight too. You need to gain 'angles' (get your aircraft pointing at your target) and 'turning room' (having space to get behind the target), but you can't usually get them at the same time. Knowing when to trade one for the other is important and takes lots of practice.

If you feel this is something you really want to learn more about, reading this is a good place to start:

http://falcon.blu3wolf.com/Docs/Fighter%20Combat-Tactics%20and%20Maneuvering.pdf

What’s your airspeed at the merge? What’s the power setting in the fight and at what airspeed?

If you’re being out turned, chances are you’re too fast. Fast speed isn’t always your friend in a fast mover.

Twitch Channel

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Virtual Thunderbirds, LLC | Sponsored by Thrustmaster

Z390 Aorus Xtreme, i9 9900k, G.SKILL TridentZ Series 32GB, 1080ti 11GB, Obutto R3Volution, Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog, TPR, Cougar MFDs, FSSB R3L, JetSeat, Oculus Rift S, Buddy-Fox A-10C UFC, F/A-18C UFC, Tek Creations F-16 ICP

Anyone with a MSFFB2 joystick flying the Hornet? (I've yet to buy it, gonna wait for more features before jumping in, also waiting for the F14)

The reason why I ask is because of what Flamin_Squirrel wrote about how the real F18 stick behaves (11.1.5 Stick Force) and Im wondering if that's simulated with force feedback in our sim?

That would be really cool if the forces were significantly stiffer once you reached critical AoA, like in the real plane.

Current specs: Windows 10 Home 64bit, i5-9600K @ 3.7 Ghz, 32GB DDR4 RAM, 1TB Samsung EVO 860 M.2 SSD, GAINWARD RTX2060 6GB, Oculus Rift S, MS FFB2 Sidewinder + Warthog Throttle Quadrant, Saitek Pro rudder pedals.

You can, but you wouldn't, the protections are there for a reason. If this losing dogfight you need to analyse why.

The hornet should perform better against those opponents in a single circle flight at slow speed. You can use Tacview to review your fights.

That said you can engage the spin switch on the right of the forward panel which will achieve what you originally asked, but I wouldn't recommend it.

Squirrel is absolutely correct the F18c is a single circle fighter it's abilities are in the slow flight. Corner speed is almost irelavant if you are going against a fighter that will out rate you. You are looking for min radius just make sure you are the last to turn as the last guy to turn decides the fight, just make sure it single circle!!

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

Edited by WindyTX

I7 3930 4.2GHz ( Hyperthreading Off), GTX1080, 16 GB ddr3

Hotas Warthog Saiteck Combat Pedals HTC Vive, Oculus CV1.

GTX 1080 Has its uses

Haha Doum, yea I couldn't resist. It's great I don't regret buying it at all but I see what people have been saying about the radar being a bit rubbish at the moment and it seems totally outmatched BVR. I've been sticking to really aggressive low level flying until I can use an Aim 9 or guns.

I hope they get to the point where the radar is as reliable as the F15s. I've stayed away from the Russian fighters for the most part because they're just not as intuitive as the US fighters.

Haha Doum, yea I couldn't resist. It's great I don't regret buying it at all but I see what people have been saying about the radar being a bit rubbish at the moment and it seems totally outmatched BVR. I've been sticking to really aggressive low level flying until I can use an Aim 9 or guns.

I hope they get to the point where the radar is as reliable as the F15s. I've stayed away from the Russian fighters for the most part because they're just not as intuitive as the US fighters.

Glad to hear and that you enjoy it. Yep so i'Ve heard about the Radar, i haven'T done Aie-Air stuff for a while, and i'm more a WVR than BVR type of guy. :( But i am sure they'll work on it quite soon.