Mariana Islands Map & DCS: WWII

NineLine

The Japanese deployed float plane fighters from islands bases, the A6M2-N being the most prominent case, the US just experimented with various designs, like a Devastator or Wildcat on floats. Never heard that anyone used battleships for this, except some rather heavily armed reece planes like the Ar-196.

Yes, agreed.

But I'm not sure why you single out the Ar-196 as being "heavily armed". Are you referring to the 20mm cannon?

Most of the battleship- or cruiser-launched floatplanes were primarily for reconnaissance, naval-artillery spotting or liaison. That said, most of them had some guns for self-defence and the option of carrying bombs. I'm not aware of any being used for bombing though... does anyone have a examples/references?

Some of the classic floatplanes launched from capital ships in the Pacific include:

OS2U-3 Kingfisher

SOC-1 Seagull

SC1 Seahawk

Mitshubishi F1M Pete

Aichi E13A1 Jake

All of these would be fantastic additions for the Marianas WW2 map. (Although I would still love to see an Ar-196). Oh, and here is a link for the Nakajima A6M2N although, as was stated in the previous post, it was not launched from capital ships. It did operate off a seaplane carrier, though.

One thing that might be useful for the Marianas WW2 map (as an interim) is having floatplanes as static objects. Certainly having some which could be placed in the mission editor alongside docks, pulled up on beaches or floating in bays would make for great targets for aircraft such as the F4U Corsair.

However, getting some flyable seaplane in DCS would be amazing.

I'm not sure why you single out the Ar-196 as being "heavily armed". Are you referring to the 20mm cannon?

Yes, with one forward firing 7.92 mm machine gun and two 20 mm cannon (+ SC50 bombs) the Ar-196 had a similar armament than contemporary fighters and it made the plane quite versatile. It was more than capable of destroying even larger enemy reecon planes (if it could catch them) and the cannons were also effective in damaging surface targets. The Bismarck launched an Ar196 against a RAF Catalina, planes from German commerce raiders were used to attack single merchantmen early in the war (to take out their radios) or two Ar-196 attacked and ultimately captured the submarine HMS Seal.

Technically, Ise and Huyga after conversion for hybrid battleship - aircraft carriers were supposed to carry Judy dive bombers. Relevant air units for both vessels were trained and deployed, but decimated during "normal" air ops from land bases in late '44. As far as I know no further air strike ops from these two ships were carried out in the last months of the war.

i7 9700K @ stock speed, single GTX1070, 32 gigs of RAM, TH Warthog, MFG Crosswind, Win10.

• 3 weeks later...
Yes, with one forward firing 7.92 mm machine gun and two 20 mm cannon (+ SC50 bombs) the Ar-196 had a similar armament than contemporary fighters and it made the plane quite versatile. It was more than capable of destroying even larger enemy reecon planes (if it could catch them) and the cannons were also effective in damaging surface targets. The Bismarck launched an Ar196 against a RAF Catalina, planes from German commerce raiders were used to attack single merchantmen early in the war (to take out their radios) or two Ar-196 attacked and ultimately captured the submarine HMS Seal.

Thanks, I didn't know the story about the HMS Seal, sounds like it was quite an awesome submarine and crew despite being the only one to pick up the notorious honour of being captured. Cheers

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Is there a time frame as to when the Mariana islands project will be complete?

There was, but covid-19 obliterated it.

• Like 1

System specs: I7 14700KF, Gigabyte Z690 Aorus Elite, 64GB DDR4 3600MHz, Gigabyte RTX 4090,Win 11, 48" OLED LG TV + 42" LG LED monitor

Is there a time frame as to when the Mariana islands project will be complete?

Kate Perederko (Chief Operating Officer Eagle Dynamics) wrote:

"Mariana Islands - Mid Term"

This was clarified with:

"Mid term - we have the list of tasks and we think that it might be delivered in less than 9 months."

The post was made on reddit about a month ago.

Ref:

So, taken as written, that would mean Marianas = by end of 2020. However, that announcement was before the CoVid-19 lockdown, and it is also commonplace for delays to occur in the software industry anyway.

So, I would more likely expect Marianas to arrive sometime in 2021.

And, if by "complete" you mean "out of early access", then add another year or so.

• ED Team

"Mid term - we have the list of tasks and we think that it might be delivered in less than 9 months."

While it is nice to have timelines, plans can change, timelines can be extended, for example current world events are making things difficult, but the team are still working hard and I see progress daily in reports.

As soon as we can share a more solid date we will, usually just before we are ready for public testing.

Thanks

smallCATPILOT.PNG.04bbece1b27ff1b2c193b174ec410fc0.PNG

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2

I wonder if it would be possible to get an answer about the ww2 version of the map, i.e. which period is it going to represent ? Prior to U.S. landings, shortly after the landings or later period when new longer strips were constructed to facilitate operation of B-29s ?

I'd personally opt and hope for the first option, since that way one could recreate in detail entire battle for those islands.

AMD Ryzen 5900X @ 4.95 Ghz / Asus Crosshair VII X470 / 32 GB DDR4 3600 Mhz Cl16 / Radeon 6800XT / Samsung 960 EVO M.2 SSD / Creative SoundBlaster AE-9 / HP Reverb G2 / VIRPIL T-50CM /
Thrustmaster TPR Pendular Rudder Pedals / Audio Technica ATH-MSR7

While I appreciate your enthusiasm Hiromachi, I have to ask, why would you want a map to represent a time period in the war for which we have no time period aircraft, much less most of the other ships and objects used during that battle. Why not opt for the post battle map with the longer runways that jets can use? That way, as the Pacific theater a/c are being developed, we could actually use the map. :pilotfly:

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Because jets will use modern version of that map ?

So proper question is, why in topic related to ww2 version of that map, would you care about post war developed jets ?

AMD Ryzen 5900X @ 4.95 Ghz / Asus Crosshair VII X470 / 32 GB DDR4 3600 Mhz Cl16 / Radeon 6800XT / Samsung 960 EVO M.2 SSD / Creative SoundBlaster AE-9 / HP Reverb G2 / VIRPIL T-50CM /
Thrustmaster TPR Pendular Rudder Pedals / Audio Technica ATH-MSR7

How about we lighten up and stop worrying about time frames? I'm not even going to worry about the fact that it's the Marianas. I'll fly my Corsair out of there and it'll be the Solomons in 1943. I'll fly my Mustang and it'll be the Phillipines in 1945.

I do that with the Caucuses map. I dress my Mustang or Spit in Med paintschemes and it's Italy. I paint them in the colors of the 506th Group and it's Japan.

"But it's the Caucuses...you can't do that? That's stupid!?" Oh please. It's a game. Do what the hell you want with it.

While I appreciate your enthusiasm Hiromachi, I have to ask, why would you want a map to represent a time period in the war for which we have no time period aircraft, much less most of the other ships and objects used during that battle. Why not opt for the post battle map with the longer runways that jets can use? That way, as the Pacific theater a/c are being developed, we could actually use the map. :pilotfly:

I think that you are missing the fact that the map will have two different versions: one for modern combat, another one for WWII.

i7 12700KF | MSI Z690 A-PRO | Corsair Vengeance 2x16 gb @ 3200 Mhz | RTX 3070 Ti FE | Acer XB271HU 1440P 144HZ | Virpil T-50 CM throttle | Virpil WarBRD Base + MongoosT-50 CM2 Grip | MFG Crosswind | TrackIR 5 | HP Reverb G2

Bf 109 K-4 | Fw 190 A-8 | Spitfire LF Mk. IX | P-51D | Fw 190 D-9 | P-47D | Mosquito FB VI | F/A 18C | F-14 A/B | F-16C | MiG-15bis | MiG-21bis | M-2000C | A-10C | AJS-37 Viggen | UH-1H | Ka-50 | Mi-24P | C-101 | Flaming Cliffs 3

Persian Gulf | Nevada | Normandy | The Channel | Syria

I am VERY much looking forward to flying that F4U from Pacific Island airfields. The only thing that could be better would be having a P-38. But it's not gonna happen, so I'll take what I can get.

Corsair + Zero (even AI Zero) will be epic for me and I hope that a full fidelity Zero comes eventually as there is enough information around to get it done I think.

i7 12700KF | MSI Z690 A-PRO | Corsair Vengeance 2x16 gb @ 3200 Mhz | RTX 3070 Ti FE | Acer XB271HU 1440P 144HZ | Virpil T-50 CM throttle | Virpil WarBRD Base + MongoosT-50 CM2 Grip | MFG Crosswind | TrackIR 5 | HP Reverb G2

Bf 109 K-4 | Fw 190 A-8 | Spitfire LF Mk. IX | P-51D | Fw 190 D-9 | P-47D | Mosquito FB VI | F/A 18C | F-14 A/B | F-16C | MiG-15bis | MiG-21bis | M-2000C | A-10C | AJS-37 Viggen | UH-1H | Ka-50 | Mi-24P | C-101 | Flaming Cliffs 3

Persian Gulf | Nevada | Normandy | The Channel | Syria

I think that you are missing the fact that the map will have two different versions: one for modern combat, another one for WWII.

That is precisely why I posted what I did. I would be in favor of a more modern era map that can be used now and the WWII era map - pre invasion that Hiromachi is asking for - later when at least the Corsair becomes available.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

• 2 weeks later...

Is Pearl Harbor on this map? Would be an amazing campaign starter. Scrambling from a nearby field, flying over battleship row watching the attack take place, script in a gunner on a battleship (Dory Miller) shooting down an enemy plane.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

• 3 months later...

What is the word on the Marianas Islands Map? It was announced back in January and here it is August and it hasn't dropped. Whats become of it? The photos ED showcased led me to believe the maps was about ready to go.

"Now how do I land this thing?" *Sound of pages turning*

What is the word on the Marianas Islands Map? It was announced back in January and here it is August and it hasn't dropped. Whats become of it? The photos ED showcased led me to believe the maps was about ready to go.

From the first screenshots to an Early Access release can be years, depending on the module. Showcased map photos usually mean that one area (out of a vast region) is good enough to show what it might look like when it's finished. Who knows what it looks like just out of the field of view of camera.

The CEO announced in Mid-April (ref: https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=269757 ) that the Marianas was "Mid-term" which was clarified to mean "it might be delivered in less than 9 months". From mid-April, that means it might be by the end of the year.

The key word is "might".

Given covid-19, the major summer push on bugs, the general delays on software and Hofstadters law, I would consider this to be a very optimistic might.

In the GR interview with Simon, I think he said it was pushed back to the end of the year or Q1-2021.

i9 9900k @5.1GHz NZXT Kraken |Asus ROG Strix Z390 E-Gaming | Samsung NVMe m.2 970 Evo 1TB | LPX 64GB DDR4 3200MHz

EVGA RTX 3090 FTW3 Ultra | Reverb G1  | HOTAS Warthog | Saitek Flight Pedals

• 2 months later...