Holy Oculus !!!

Svsmokey

Hornet and L-39 today . The later is especially good in VR with oversized and well-marked instrumentatation , and clearly loads the CPU less . Much smoother frames even with terrain shadows on than than the Hornet without . May have to go back to my first love until I upgrade the CPU . Managed not to tip my chair backwards doing loops in both , shot a few landings . Felt like a crop-duster dodging last-second power lines-pylons that you can't see until almost-too-late , though maybe wearing glasses will help .

The l39 is great in VR. As for dodgeing powerlines its much easier in helos. Though low level flying is way more fun in VR.

New hotness: I7 9700k 4.8ghz, 32gb ddr4, 2080ti, :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, HP Reverb (formermly CV1)

Old-N-busted: i7 4720HQ ~3.5GHZ, +32GB DDR3 + Nvidia GTX980m (4GB VRAM) :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, Rift CV1 (yes really).

Re nausea. Keep your frame rate up. Turn off msa and depending on hardware you might need to turn shadow off.

Re seat adjustments. You can also just move your seat. Or, use center view (num5, or left Oculus controller). Eg if you want to sit closer, lean back, center view, relax

Ryzen 5600X (stock), GBX570, 32Gb RAM, AMD 6900XT (reference), G2, WInwing Orion HOTAS, T-flight rudder

L-39 is great period ! (But especially in VR) I am having a problem with it due to a pitch and roll control bias , still working on that . Be awhile before I chopper , as i need to upgrade CPU (7700k) and do something for a simpit . Still looking at options there . So no money for a collective .

Guess i am one of the lucky ones , no nausea whatsoever .no matter what i do . I strictly feel the weirdness between my ears , and mitigate that by unconsciously momentarily tilting my head in the direction of the roll input .

9700k @ stock , Aorus Pro Z390 wifi , 32gb 3200 mhz CL16 , 1tb EVO 970 , MSI RX 6800XT Gaming X TRIO , Seasonic Prime 850w Gold , Coolermaster H500m , Noctua NH-D15S , CH Pro throttle and T50CM2/WarBrD base on Foxxmounts , CH pedals , Reverb G2v2

L-39 is great period ! (But especially in VR) I am having a problem with it due to a pitch and roll control bias , still working on that . Be awhile before I chopper , as i need to upgrade CPU (7700k) and do something for a simpit . Still looking at options there . So no money for a collective .

It's way cheaper to make your own controls just saying.

Still a WIP

Guess i am one of the lucky ones , no nausea whatsoever .no matter what i do . I strictly feel the weirdness between my ears , and mitigate that by unconsciously momentarily tilting my head in the direction of the roll input .

It will become normalised after a while. :thumbup:

Control is an illusion which usually shatters at the least expected moment.

Gazelle Mini-gun version is endorphins with rotors. See above.

Currently rolling with a Asus Z390 Prime, 9600K, 32GB RAM, SSD, 2080Ti and Windows 10Pro, Rift CV1. bu0836x and Scratch Built Pedals, Collective and Cyclic.

Nice ! Never gave choppers a thought until VR . Bet i have a spare motorbike twist grip somewhere in my salvaged parts . The boy totaled TWO of my bikes , so it might be nice to get some use out of the scrap :)

9700k @ stock , Aorus Pro Z390 wifi , 32gb 3200 mhz CL16 , 1tb EVO 970 , MSI RX 6800XT Gaming X TRIO , Seasonic Prime 850w Gold , Coolermaster H500m , Noctua NH-D15S , CH Pro throttle and T50CM2/WarBrD base on Foxxmounts , CH pedals , Reverb G2v2

Wait till you try "Wing walking" ! :D

Get up to about 20,000 or so, open the cockpit, and get out!

(Best to have someone there to help the first time....)

Sit in a chair next to your pit. It is "The wing"

Look around and be amazed at the WORLD!

If you dare, look down...........

First time I did this, I had to crawl back to the cockpit to prevent falling to my death......:cry:

YMMV

Ever die By tank shell?

Get out of your tank and wait for the incoming.......:megalol:

How about.........

Set a flight of bombers to bomb a runway.

Spawn upon same.

Get out of aircraft.

Enjoy the show........

For a while anyway! :D

"Yeah, and though I work in the valley of Death, I will fear no Evil. For where there is one, there is always three. I preparest my aircraft to receive the Iron that will be delivered in the presence of my enemies. Thy ALCM and JDAM they comfort me. Power was given unto the aircrew to make peace upon the world by way of the sword. And when the call went out, Behold the "Sword of Stealth". And his name was Death. And Hell followed him. For the day of wrath has come and no mercy shall be given."

I seldom get nausea even with my crap system and frame rates as low as 20 at times. VR master race :megalol:

New hotness: I7 9700k 4.8ghz, 32gb ddr4, 2080ti, :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, HP Reverb (formermly CV1)

Old-N-busted: i7 4720HQ ~3.5GHZ, +32GB DDR3 + Nvidia GTX980m (4GB VRAM) :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, Rift CV1 (yes really).

Nice ! Never gave choppers a thought until VR . Bet i have a spare motorbike twist grip somewhere in my salvaged parts . The boy totaled TWO of my bikes , so it might be nice to get some use out of the scrap :)

I do fine with the TM throttle, but its like a million times easier to fly the weedwhackers in VR compared to pancake land IMO. I could barely land the huey for like a month on the flat screen. Nailed it first time in VR, same for the other choppers. I'm playing UFO games with the gazelle.

Have to say for the first time i'm tempted by the choppers . I love flying nap of the earth , and i note that one has a much greater appreciation for the terrain in VR . I love flying through and between those lovely coastal foothills between Batumi and Kobuleti for example . There is a great deal of subtlety in that area lost in 2D .

Starting to get the settings dialed in for best graphics and smooth frames down low under hard maneuvering .

Pd 1.3 and msaa x2 . Turned off cpu "turbo boost" in an effort to stop stuttering when i look to the side , turns out lowering the pd from 1.4 did the trick . Will turn turbo back on tomorrow (3.5ghz) for a little cpu headroom .

Edited by Svsmokey

Come over to the light side, we have cookies,.. :D

As a rule of thumb have a look at taskmanager for best smooth running I avoid 2 conditions 1 maxing out the single core performance and having the GPU hit 100% ether of those conditions will usually result in a drop in FPS or a stutter or 2 so I attempt to have settings that allow some headroom.

Unfortunately for you shadows need to be off mostly but if umm when you do come across ;) do have a look with shadows it does make the immersion better, but close up it's not as polished in VR as on a screen and looks a tad cartoony IMO but it's still pretty darn good, I guess we got in at the EGA level. :P

And there is something about racing the Mi-8 a metre above the deck at 250K/H through the sparser forests areas in Caucasus region, sure to bring a smile to your dial. :thumbup:

@Hawkeye60 Hi

The other good one is standup in the Gazelle. :megalol:

Control is an illusion which usually shatters at the least expected moment.

Gazelle Mini-gun version is endorphins with rotors. See above.

Currently rolling with a Asus Z390 Prime, 9600K, 32GB RAM, SSD, 2080Ti and Windows 10Pro, Rift CV1. bu0836x and Scratch Built Pedals, Collective and Cyclic.

Come over to the light side, we have cookies,.. :D

As a rule of thumb have a look at taskmanager for best smooth running I avoid 2 conditions 1 maxing out the single core performance and having the GPU hit 100% ether of those conditions will usually result in a drop in FPS or a stutter or 2 so I attempt to have settings that allow some headroom.

Unfortunately for you shadows need to be off mostly but if umm when you do come across ;) do have a look with shadows it does make the immersion better, but close up it's not as polished in VR as on a screen and looks a tad cartoony IMO but it's still pretty darn good, I guess we got in at the EGA level. :P

And there is something about racing the Mi-8 a metre above the deck at 250K/H through the sparser forests areas in Caucasus region, sure to bring a smile to your dial. :thumbup:

@Hawkeye60 Hi

The other good one is standup in the Gazelle. :megalol:

Thanks . I have cockpit shadows low , and terrain shadows off currently . I do agree with you regarding keeping a little headroom , on both the cpu and gpu . I'm actually very happy with my settings right now , with very smooth frames very low with the Hornet over anywhere in the Caucasus map . With the L-39 , I can even have flat terrain shadows . I'm prepared to wait for a cpu upgrade or ED's VR optimizations for further graphics improvements .

Thanks for the reminder regarding task manager . I was thinking today i wish Afterburner worked in VR , but Task Manager should provide the info i need for further tweaking , and verifying my upgrade path .

Edited by Svsmokey

Yeah , gonna experiment with saving a snap view at some point - mine was way to close due to current poor pit ergonomics . The virtual throttle is under my elbow...

When you get in the cockpit and find you are too far forward, just lean forwards and hit Num 5 and opposite if too far back. I nearly always have to recenter my forward view as I nearly always spawn into the cockpit pointing very slightly to left with forward view looking between left ddi and ufc.

Edited by Tinkickef

System spec: i9 9900K, Gigabyte Aorus Z390 Ultra motherboard, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3200 RAM, Corsair M.2 NVMe 1Tb Boot SSD. Seagate 1Tb Hybrid mass storage SSD. ASUS RTX2080TI Dual OC, Thermaltake Flo Riing 360mm water pumper, EVGA 850G3 PSU. HP Reverb, TM Warthog, Crosswind pedals, Buttkicker Gamer 2.

When you get in the cockpit and find you are too far forward, just lean forwards and hit Num 5 and opposite if too far back. I nearly always have to recenter my forward view as I nearly always spawn into the cockpit pointing very slightly to left with forward view looking between left ddi and ufc.

Thank you . I used "save cockpit angles" mapped to my old TrackIr center button . This puts me back in the cockpit exactly the same every time . Interestingly , it also re-centers the virtual desktop , Oculus home etc .

Thanks . I have cockpit shadows low , and terrain shadows off currently . I do agree with you regarding keeping a little headroom , on both the cpu and gpu . I'm actually very happy with my settings right now , with very smooth frames very low with the Hornet over anywhere in the Caucasus map . With the L-39 , I can even have flat terrain shadows . I'm prepared to wait for a cpu upgrade or ED's VR optimizations for further graphics improvements .

Thanks for the reminder regarding task manager . I was thinking today i wish Afterburner worked in VR , but Task Manager should provide the info i need for further tweaking , and verifying my upgrade path .

What I always do when needing performance: make sure you have as few as possible applications running, including background apps. You can check in your startup options, taskbar icons, system services. The less applications one has running, the more resources will be available for DCS.

What I always do when needing performance: make sure you have as few as possible applications running, including background apps. You can check in your startup options, taskbar icons, system services. The less applications one has running, the more resources will be available for DCS.

Good advice !

the easiest way to deal with this is to only install applications you need.

Yeah , the only apps i have running with DCS are Oculus and Voiceattack . Don't do much MP .

Yeah , the only apps i have running with DCS are Oculus and Voiceattack . Don't do much MP .

Yep same here.

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

Here are my current DCS settings for reference/comment/suggestions for improvements . These give me a solid and smooth 45fps with ASW off (kp2) low/very low over anywhere in the Caucasus in the Hornet (except buzzing Kholki !) .

CPU turbo off

Nvidea Inspector -all settings default

All textures low

Visibility medium

Civilian traffic low

Water medium

Heat blur/motion blur off (haven't tested on)

Cockpit shadows flat

Cockpit displays 512

Terrain shadows off

Grass/clutter 750

Trees 50%

Chimney smoke off

Preload about 2/3 to the right

PD 1.3

MSAA 2x

Am I satisfied ? Heck no ! I would love to have flat terrain shadows , medium cockpit shadows and more than anything , more anti-aliasing . But the performance is about what I expected from a 1070 , and the experience is still amazing . I may consider upgrading to a 2070/2080 (and a 7700k) in the future , if i can gain a clear expectation of the benefits gained in terms of pd , aa , and terrain shadows , but those numbers are hard to come by . As to the 2080ti-not even in my dreams :)

Edited by Svsmokey

Why Turbo off?

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

Good question . Thus far (and subject to more testing) , it seems to stutter occasionally with turbo on , and never with it off . I will be revisiting this setting , but in any case i seem to be running out of 1070 well before I run out of CPU , even with turbo off .

Here are my current DCS settings for reference/comment/suggestions for improvements . These give me a solid and smooth 45fps with ASW off (kp2) low/very low over anywhere in the Caucasus in the Hornet (except buzzing Kholki !) .

CPU turbo off

Nvidea Inspector -all settings default

All textures low

Visibility medium

Civilian traffic low

Water medium

Heat blur/motion blur off (haven't tested on)

Cockpit shadows flat

Cockpit displays 512

Terrain shadows off

Grass/clutter 750

Trees 50%

Chimney smoke off

Preload about 2/3 to the right

PD 1.3

MSAA 2x

Am I satisfied ? Heck no ! I would love to have flat terrain shadows , medium cockpit shadows and more than anything , more anti-aliasing . But the performance is about what I expected from a 1070 , and the experience is still amazing . I may consider upgrading to a 2070/2080 (and a 7700k) in the future , if i can gain a clear expectation of the benefits gained in terms of pd , aa , and terrain shadows , but those numbers are hard to come by . As to the 2080ti-not even in my dreams :)

What about if you turn msaa off, cranck up PD to 1.5 and activate FXAA on Nvidia control panel.

And I would rather having civ traffic on off and water low, with flat terrain shadows (terrain shadows add to the 3D effect when flying at medium-high altitute) and cockpit shadows off/low.

PS. I spent 6 months flying VR with a gtx 1060 3 Gb so I feel your struggle.

i5 8400 | 32 Gb RAM | RTX 2080Ti | Virpil Mongoose T-50 base w/ Warthog & Hornet sticks | Warthog throttle | Cougar throttle USB | DIY Collective | Virpil desk mount | VKB T-Rudder Mk IV | Oculus Rift S | Buddy-Fox A-10 UFC | 3x TM MFDs | 2x bass shakers pedal plate| SIMple SIMpit chair | WinWing TakeOff panel | PointCTRL v2 | Andre JetSeat | Winwing Hornet UFC | Winwing Viper ICP

FC3 - Warthog - F-5E - Harrier - NTTR - Hornet - Tomcat - Huey - Viper - C-101 - PG - Hip - SuperCarrier - Syria - Warthog II - Hind - South Atlantic - Sinai - Strike Eagle