Rift CV1 - Sudden black screen + orange led

SPIKEN

My Oculus CV1 was working beautifully up until friday (Apr 14th), when it all of a sudden stopped with black screen and orange light. The Oculus soft does not detect the headset usb + HDMI or the sensor usb. I am on Win7 SP1 which was just updated the day before. Dont know if that is related. Has anybody else on this forum experienced the same thing?

Check your HDMI cable going into the Rift headset, I have seen where sometimes they work a little loose- insure it is seated fully.

If that is not the case, suggest opening a support ticket with Oculus right away, especially if it is under warranty.

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

Check out your USB connectors.

Have to connect to an USB 3.0 and some times after windows upgrade these features will be buggy.

Give some attempt by changing port to make a new detect of your equipment.

So in case of any succes try to back your windows to a restore before the last update

Also, mine did the same out of the blue. I had to use the Display Port adapter instead of the HDMI. There was a lot of info about (not standard?) HDMI of Rift.

hsb

HW Spec in Spoiler

---

i7-10700K Direct-To-Die/OC'ed to 5.1GHz, MSI Z490 MB, 32GB DDR4 3200MHz, EVGA 2080 Ti FTW3, NVMe+SSD, Win 10 x64 Pro, MFG, Warthog, TM MFDs, Komodo Huey set, Rverbe G1

Hansangb,

Also a big thanks to you. I read your answer as you got everything working again by using the DP adapter. Interesting - I have to try that. Exactly where did you find a lot of info about HDMI and Rift?

Had a similiar issue on my previous rift.

In my case it was loose connector on the rift. Needed to replace the unit.

Check the cable that goes into the rift. Mine did work when there is tension on the cable, but it disconnected when pushing the cable into the unit...

Maybe you are lucky and this cable is just pulled out. Remove the cover and reseat the hdmi/usb cable.

Intel I9 10900k @5.1GHz | MSI MEG Z490 Unify | Corsair Vengeance 64GB - 3600MHz | EVGA RTX 3090 FTW3
VPC T-50 Base /w Viper & Hornet Grip | VPC Rotor TCS Pro w/ Hawk-60 Grip | TM TPR
LG C2 42" | Reverb G2 | TIR 5 | PointCtrl | OpenKneeboard

Hansangb,

Also a big thanks to you. I read your answer as you got everything working again by using the DP adapter. Interesting - I have to try that. Exactly where did you find a lot of info about HDMI and Rift?

It was in the original Rift thread (sticky one: Oculus Rift with DCS World Discussion). I believe it was SkateZilla? who may have posted information about it. And it also referenced Oculus and Reddit threads. I just searched the forum

(from google: site:forums.eagle.ru rift hdmi problem)

and found this post of mine regarding the orange led/Rift issue. :D

Also, I recall folks having to disable Asmedia controller (if your motherboard has it).

hsb

HW Spec in Spoiler

---

i7-10700K Direct-To-Die/OC'ed to 5.1GHz, MSI Z490 MB, 32GB DDR4 3200MHz, EVGA 2080 Ti FTW3, NVMe+SSD, Win 10 x64 Pro, MFG, Warthog, TM MFDs, Komodo Huey set, Rverbe G1

The HDMI Signal is not within HDMI Spec and is actually Overclocked (to put in simple terms), over time some HDMI Ports will simply wear out from pushing more than it's supposed to.

Users have had HDMI Ports go bad, and switch to DP-> HDMI Passive Adapters and continued using their units.

I believe I stated before, that eVGA published conclusive evidence of the Nonstandard HDMI Signal and it's effect on the 900 Series (970 and below especially).

Windows 10 Pro, Ryzen 2700X @ 4.6Ghz, 32GB DDR4-3200 GSkill (F4-3200C16D-16GTZR x2),

ASRock X470 Taichi Ultimate, XFX RX6800XT Merc 310 (RX-68XTALFD9)

3x ASUS VS248HP + Oculus HMD, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS + MFDs

Thank you all for your support - On this forum you never walk alone. I am however, still stuck with the black screen and I have tried most of your suggestions, including changing USB 3.0 ports and the HDMI from its orignal place to the DP port via adapter on my STRIX GPX 970.

Freehand,

THANKS!

The change to USB 2.0 worked! I am back to the full 3D of the Rift. I am surprised, since the recommendation for use of the 3.0 is so strong and I cannot say that I understand what has happened , but I am back with the Rift working and that is what counts.