2 x Harpoon vs Russian frigate.

Harmer

I did a tiny test of the harpoon before the current patch.

And i notised that a harpoon only damge a russian war ship by about 3%

I cant remember the name of the ship but maybe its the same for all ships that the harpoon need to be adjusted so it deliver more damage.

( the harpoon system is WIP and it need some more updates/fine tuning )

Is it even able to, in real life? Two missiles to sink a 1000 tonnes warship?

I know a single Harpoon missile can wreak havoc on summer cottages though :).

- Jack of many DCS modules, master of none.

- Personal wishlist: F-15A, F-4S Phantom II, JAS 39A Gripen, SAAB 35 Draken, F-104 Starfighter, Panavia Tornado IDS.

| Windows 11 | i5-12400 | 64Gb DDR4 | RTX 3080 | 2x M.2 | 27" 1440p | Rift CV1 | Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS | MFG Crosswind pedals |

Is it even able to, in real life? Two missiles to sink a 1000 tonnes warship?

I know a single Harpoon missile can wreak havoc on summer cottages though :).

Real life? Take the Iranian frigate Sahand that was sunk in 1988 by the US Navy. It took them 3 Harpoons, 4 AGM-123 (which basically were rocket powered GBU-16s) and a pair of Rockeyes to sink that ship...

I think that both the damage modeling and the missile inflicted damage need some rework. A single Exocet missile sank HMS Sheffield while its warhead was a dud. The destroyer has wholly burned up from the missile's unspent fuel. The fuel itself could act as a dangerous igniter, especially in a form of an aerosol.

Yeah, that probably needs to be looked at. IIRC it takes 2x2000lb bombs to sink one of those.

Realistically it should mainly knock out the weapons for some time, i.e. mission kill even if it doesn't sink it right away.

New hotness: I7 9700k 4.8ghz, 32gb ddr4, 2080ti, :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, HP Reverb (formermly CV1)

Old-N-busted: i7 4720HQ ~3.5GHZ, +32GB DDR3 + Nvidia GTX980m (4GB VRAM) :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, Rift CV1 (yes really).

It took us 16 to sink a single Moskva. But it did give us lots of landing/relaunching practice.

there's always a plus side! (more practice, nice). :lol:

MSI MAG Z790 Carbon, i9-13900k, NH-D15 cooler, 64 GB CL40 6000mhz RAM, MSI RTX4090, Yamaha 5.1 A/V Receiver, 4x 2TB Samsung 980 Pro NVMe, 1x 2TB Samsung 870 EVO SSD, Win 11 Pro, TM Warthog, Virpil WarBRD, MFG Crosswinds, 43" Samsung 4K TV, 21.5 Acer VT touchscreen, TrackIR, Varjo Aero, Wheel Stand Pro Super Warthog, Phanteks Enthoo Pro2 Full Tower Case, Seasonic GX-1200 ATX3 PSU, PointCTRL, Buttkicker 2, K-51 Helicopter Collective Control

I think that both the damage modeling and the missile inflicted damage need some rework. A single Exocet missile sank HMS Sheffield while its warhead was a dud. The destroyer has wholly burned up from the missile's unspent fuel. The fuel itself could act as a dangerous igniter, especially in a form of an aerosol.

Not sank in the immediate sense as we see in DCS. It was rendered inoperative and sank 6 days later.

"Even two months after the attack, the board of inquiry was uncertain whether the Exocet’s warhead had detonated. Although crew members were convinced it had detonated, the board’s five members eventually concluded that it had not, and reported that the fire had been caused by the missile’s propellant, only 40% of which had been used during its flight. A fresh MoD reassessment made public in 2015 concluded that the warhead had exploded."

Not sank in the immediate sense as we see in DCS. It was rendered inoperative and sank 6 days later.

"Even two months after the attack, the board of inquiry was uncertain whether the Exocet’s warhead had detonated. Although crew members were convinced it had detonated, the board’s five members eventually concluded that it had not, and reported that the fire had been caused by the missile’s propellant, only 40% of which had been used during its flight. A fresh MoD reassessment made public in 2015 concluded that the warhead had exploded."

Agree, had the design flaws the type 42 damage control system not been in place she would probably survived( although would have been forced to with withdraw from the conflict)

HMS-Sheffield-51.jpg

HMS Glamorgan was hit by an Exocet that definitely exploded and the damage control parties were able to bring the fire under control.

HMS_GLAMORGAN7.jpg

Anti ship missiles are not very good at sinking ships,

Screenshot from our server MP mission vid.

Russian frigate. One Harpoon hit and another milliseconds away from same.

Result - not sunk!

What's going on here? Maybe we should buy some Exocet's instead?

Untitled.png

Neustrashimy, can take 148, 5 inch shells to kill it, so it's going to take more than a couple of Harpoons. It can also shoot down Harpoons.

Molniya, 66, 3 inch shells and 4 Harpoons.

Edited by Holbeach

I7 2600K @ 3.8, CoolerMaster 212X, EVGA GTX 1070 8gb. RAM 16gb Corsair, 1kw PSU. 2 x WD SSD. 1 x Samsung M2 NVMe. 3 x HDD. Saitek X-52. Saitek Pro Flight pedals. CH Flight Sim yoke. TrackIR 5. Win 10 Pro. IIyama 1080p. MSAA x 2, SSAA x 1.5. Settings High. Harrier/Spitfire/Beaufighter/The Channel, fanboy..

I'm pretty sure ED has stated the damage model for the Harpoon is still WIP.
+2

Thats the point I was trying to make on second post below the OP by providing link to Hornet mini update. Its clearly stated on the last paragraph. Its known issue and its WIP.

Mastering others is strength. Mastering yourself is true power. - Lao Tze

I think the Harpoon should aim for the middle of the radar signature above the waterline. This is normally about where the Operations Room is. This weapon is about a mission kill, not a sinking. The only really effective way to sink a ship is with torpedoes.

If ED can model failure of Ship system independently of the models damage percentage then we are onto something... Until then I doubt anti-ship missiles will properly represent the detriment to operational capability that they should have.

I could buy into these Russian ships' damage model being a bit... sub-par as well, considering how they are pretty much FC2 legacy assets and display an array of fun bugs. They rather desperately need to be looked into a bit more if that previous ED statement of wanting to get more naval action in focus is supposed to work out at all, in my opinion.

Yeah hopefully the new damage model gets applied to the naval assets quickly. Though they are going to be more complicated to do.

New hotness: I7 9700k 4.8ghz, 32gb ddr4, 2080ti, :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, HP Reverb (formermly CV1)

Old-N-busted: i7 4720HQ ~3.5GHZ, +32GB DDR3 + Nvidia GTX980m (4GB VRAM) :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, Rift CV1 (yes really).

Doubtful that it's the ships, as the RB15 from a Viggen can happily sink a Russian frigate, and IIRC, both carry a similar weight in warhead.

As stated above, it's early days for the updated Harpoon, just another case of having a little patience.

System: 9700, 64GB DDR4, 2070S, NVME2, Rift S, Jetseat, Thrustmaster F18 grip, VPC T50 stick base and throttle, CH Throttle, MFG crosswinds, custom button box, Logitech G502 and Marble mouse.

Server: i5 2500@3.9Ghz, 1080, 24GB DDR3, SSD.

Doubtful that it's the ships, as the RB15 from a Viggen can happily sink a Russian frigate, and IIRC, both carry a similar weight in warhead.

As stated above, it's early days for the updated Harpoon, just another case of having a little patience.

That is a very good point.

Meh ships in DCS have incredibly limited damage modelling. In reality AShMs hitting smaller vessels such as frigates and destroyers are going to put them out of action even if they don't end up sinking. I mean look at the USS Stark, an Oliver Hazard Perry class (notoriously tough ship looking at SINKEXes) took 2 Exocets (which by the way have a smaller warhead than Harpoon, by about ~55kg and their rockets have solid propellant), 1st one didn't detonate, the second one did and you can see numerous photographs of the damage caused, the ship listing and a fair bit of grey smoke.

maxresdefault.jpg

Ships in DCS however don't start listing, there's no subsystem damage AFAIK, graphically the damage is fairly basic apart from maybe the WWII asset pack ships and ships sink in the same scripted way regardless of where damage was done to the ship.

So for me I think the issue is twofold the Harpoon maybe under-performing, but the damage modelling of ships definitely doesn't help, though I will experiment with the RB-15F.

Modules I own: F-14A/B, Mi-24P, AV-8B N/A, AJS 37, F-5E-3, MiG-21bis, F-16CM, F/A-18C, Supercarrier, Mi-8MTV2, UH-1H, Mirage 2000C, FC3, MiG-15bis, Ka-50, A-10C (+ A-10C II), P-47D, P-51D, C-101, Yak-52, WWII Assets, CA, NS430, Hawk.

Terrains I own: South Atlantic, Syria, The Channel, SoH/PG, Marianas.

System:

GIGABYTE B650 AORUS ELITE AX, AMD Ryzen 5 7600, Corsair Vengeance DDR5-5200 32 GB, Western Digital Black SN850X 1 TB (DCS dedicated) & 2 TB NVMe SSDs, Corsair RM850X 850 W, NZXT H7 Flow, MSI G274CV.

Peripherals: VKB Gunfighter Mk.II w. MCG Pro, MFG Crosswind V3 Graphite, Logitech Extreme 3D Pro.

There actually is a subsystem damage model in the ships, at least in the russian warships I can tell for sure. If they get enough hits (but not enough to sink them), they stop firing SAMs and CIWS. They are usually burning at this point but that subsides after a while.