Unrealistic landing and emergency air system doesnt work. - ED Forums

Notices

Old 02-14-2019, 04:40 AM   #1
motoadve

Default Unrealistic landing and emergency air system doesnt work.

I try short landings on taxiways and stop in 300ft, its like touch down and arrested by a hook in a carrier.
Impossible and unrealistic.

Tried closing the main tank, and running out of air by lowering and retracting flaps and gear, at the end ran out of air, the air pressure gauge still indicates I have air, so does not work.
Put lever in neutral, open the emergency tank, lower the gear, nothing, does not work.

I fly a real CJ6 Nanchang, same systems, and same landing roll as per the manual as the Yak 52. It cannot stop in 300ft ever.

This needs to be fixed, no ground effect whatsoever either.
Pretty dissapointing.
motoadve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2019, 02:42 PM   #2
freemind_fly

Interesting. Was about to buy the module during summer sales but that sounds disappointing.
freemind_fly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2019, 03:14 PM   #3
freemind_fly

Or are you using some arcade mode settings?
freemind_fly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2019, 01:27 AM   #4
Weta43
Veteran

You should check to see if you have some sort of assist or simple mode turned on motoadve, because there are 13 pages of discussion regarding the Yak-52 flight characteristics here :

https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=217349
started by AcroGimp:
Quote:
Originally Posted by AcroGimp
First off my qualifications:

FAA licensed commercial pilot, ~700 hrs total time, 350 in Yak-52 which I have owned for 3 and half years. I am a member of the Red Star Pilot's Association, I hold a Formation Wingman Card and am working on upgrading to Lead. I fly weekly, formation, aerobatics, I lead a casual 3-ship formation aerobatic team, and I even take her out for the occasional $200 hamburger or very short trip.
then added to by several other Yak & CJ6 pilots, and while there is some discussion around the rate of air use and recharging, an unrealistic landing rollout is not one of the issues ever mentioned (& as they thread includes an analysis of the take off and landing characteristics, you'd have thought it would if there were as big an issue as you're claiming.
Old 07-02-2019, 03:02 AM   #5
bbrz

I don't think that any RW Yak52/CJ6 pilot would routinely perform a max performance landing and apply full braking, since the flight manual landing roll is already really short 300m.
So I'm not sure if you can easily make a RW comparison.

Touching down at 140km/h and applying full braking immediately afterwards (again I doubt that any sane Yak/CJ owner would do that) I need 200m.

That's still considerable less than the flight manual 300m, but more than double the distance (90m) motoadve needs.

One (or even the) reason for the too short landing run might be the still way too high flap drag.

Last edited by bbrz; 07-02-2019 at 03:06 AM.
bbrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2019, 12:36 AM   #6
motoadve

Brakes in CJs and Yak 52s are crap, you push too much and they lock up, no power.
300 mts is doable, I have done it consistenly, but 100 meters, no way.

Last edited by motoadve; 07-04-2019 at 12:39 AM.
Old 07-04-2019, 02:41 AM   #7
bbrz

Why are the brakes crap? If they lock up, which is expected without antiskid, aren't they too powerful?
Old 07-04-2019, 01:26 PM   #8
motoadve

Skid, loose traction , longer breaking, really crap, like drum brakes in car.
Old 07-04-2019, 01:58 PM   #9
bbrz

So you mean they lock up too quick/easy I assume.
Old 07-04-2019, 04:40 PM   #10
zhukov032186

Ummm... if you're locking the brakes that means you're braking too hard. That isn't a 'brake quality' thing. If the pressure being exerted is too high, it overcomes the road friction and the wheel stops spinning. That applies to ANY aircraft, car, whatever.

That is NOT an example of 'bad brakes' it is an example of
1. Poor braking habits. I.e. a pilot/driver issue, not a plane/car issue. Exacerbated by it being a light aircraft.

Other contributing factors in-rl :

2. Tires are poorly suited or bald. For example racing tires are not 'better quality' than econo-tires... they are SOFTER than econo-tires, which means they grip the road better than the harder, longer lasting typical tires. Racing tires are often WIDER than regular tires, too, which increases surface area contact and traction (particularly when hot).

3. The road/landing surface is slick or unsuitable.

The Yak may be stopping too quickly, but I'm afraid your understanding of brakes, tires, etc is entirely wrong. I find people have issues by trying to fly/drive like an on/off switch with no finesse. Throttle wide open or closed, brakes off or fully applied, etc @@

Last edited by zhukov032186; 07-04-2019 at 04:43 PM.
zhukov032186 is offline   Reply With Quote