Why the nose is greenish?

csper

youre not taking into account the different global lighting color

compare the relationship between the radome with the darker patch aft of the canopy, it is generally correct

it's also obvious from the lack of weathering that the skin still will require a few passes which will likely further adjust the tones

Edited by probad

The radome is colour matched to the lighter grey of the fuselage, but the erosion coating on it tends to just suck in dirt, so depending on the dirt getting it there, I guess there could possibly be a greenish tint to it, but I've most commonly seen them get coloured to the darker grey shown in the second picture.

Owned Modules: F-16C, MiG-19P, CEII, F-14, Yak-52, F/A-18, SA342, UH-1H, AV8B, AJS-37, F-5E, MiG-21, Spitfire, M-2000C, F-86, MiG-15, 109 K-4, 190 D-9, P-51D, FC 3, Ka-50, A-10C

Owned Terrains: Persian Gulf, Normandy, Nevada

Owned Campaigns: Operation Piercing Fury, Operation Epsom Campaign

Controls: Warthog HOTAS, MFG Crosswind Pedals, TrackIR 5

Computer Build: ASRock AB350 K4 FATAL1TY, Ryzen 5 1600, EVGA Geforce GTX 1080 FTW, G.Skill Flare X 32GB 2400

Looks normal to me. Not one single radome is the same. They were once black, but now they are various shades of grey. It is the one thing that doesn’t get a fresh coat of paint during the schedule paint maintenance. So it will fade over time from sun, weather, and flying.

Twitch Channel

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Virtual Thunderbirds, LLC | Sponsored by Thrustmaster

Z390 Aorus Xtreme, i9 9900k, G.SKILL TridentZ Series 32GB, 1080ti 11GB, Obutto R3Volution, Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog, TPR, Cougar MFDs, FSSB R3L, JetSeat, Oculus Rift S, Buddy-Fox A-10C UFC, F/A-18C UFC, Tek Creations F-16 ICP

The radome (nosecone) is usually made of special composite materials and/or painted with special paint that allows the energy emitted from the radar to pass through. Regular paint or materials can actually block or disrupt radar energy. The exact composite of materials or paint is sometimes classified information.

Naturally the paint or material will have different reflective properties (kinda like gloss VS matte). Also, it's possible that the painters cannot get an exact color match due to the composites used. That's basically why radomes appear to be off-colored. My guess is ED modelers/skinners were able to incorporate different reflective properties for parts of the model... or they just used creative skinning to show the difference.

There are other reasons and applications for radome coloration but that's another discussion.

On e.g. the Typhoon the radome isn't painted at all and its composite material color changes (darkens) faster than the camo.

The UK Typhoons are painted BS626 and the radome has initialy the same color. The radom darkens over time and the difference in color between the airplane and its radome noticable increases.

On the US F-16 the sources vary between FS26231 (RGB 132,136,137) and 36251 (136/139/139) which als almost a perfect neutral grey.

i7-7700K 4.2GHz, 16GB, GTX 1070 

" Radome Color

Gray…..plain ol’ gray. Seriously. If you live in the UK, it’s Grey. The radomes on F-16s are coated, not painted, and this coating picks up dirt and grime and darkens with age and use and a myriad of other factors. They range in shade from fuselage color to almost black. No 2 F-16s have the same color radome, and you’ll find pics of them with either different domes at various times or one that’s aged a bit. "

https://www.usaf-sig.org/index.php/reference/41-research-material/82-f-16-viper-faq-stuff-you-wanted-to-know-about-the-f-16cd?fbclid=IwAR2KmDkm3o6DWc1kdh9RBXqfzhnOhrfY5Vz4p9lnoBsZLVLGCxxb8iHybMc

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Primary Computer

ASUS Z390-P, i7-9700K CPU @ 5.0Ghz, 32GB Patriot Viper Steel DDR4 @ 3200Mhz, ZOTAC GeForce 1070 Ti AMP Extreme, Samsung 970 EVO M.2 NVMe drives (1Tb & 500 Gb), Windows 10 Professional, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS, Thrustmaster Warthog Stick, Thrustmaster Cougar Throttle, Cougar MFDs x3, Saitek Combat Rudder Pedals and TrackIR 5.

-={TAC}=-DCS Server

Gigabyte GA-Z68XP-UD3, i7-3770K CPU @ 3.90GHz, 32GB G.SKILL Ripjaws DDR3 @ 1600Mhz, ZOTAC GeForce® GTX 970.

Regardless if the radome is new, old, dirty or not, in no case there is a green hue.

main-qimg-5c7b6dd17d8ed35c724e3406071bac98.webp

I've seen plenty that have inherited a light red tint do to the amount of bugs/mosquitos they've nailed on approach. It wouldn't at all surprise me if some faded a light shade of green from certain outdoor conditions. Hell, my time at Kunsan AB exposed me to the ROKAF F-16's and they are definitely not a flat grey in color.

Now to the extent that is shown in the EA WIP DCS F-16, I think there's a little more fine tuning to make on the textures before they release so I really wouldn't stress out over it. We're still at minimum 2-3 months out from release.

System: Lian Li 011 Dynamic Evo / Ryzen 5900X / 128gb Trident Z 3600mHz / ASUS TUF X570 / Lian Li Galahad 360 AIO / Asus Tuf RTX 3080ti / Asus Rog 1000w PSU / TM Warthog + TM Pedals

Modules/Terrains: All but the Mig-19, MB-339, P-47, I-16, CE II, and Yak-52

IRL: USAF F-16C AGR Crew Chief / Private Pilot

Oh man... last year I built a 1/32 scale F-16CJ and tried to do my best to make it as accurate as possible with correct research. Trying to figure out the colour of that radome took a while...

In the end, after consulting some rather obsessed fellows over at F-16.net and other sites, it seems they're all painted in the same tone to begin with, which is a shade of grey (can't remember the 'FS' number). And then the fading and weathering begins.

But, and I don't know if this is the same with all fighters (?), the cone was never repainted, due to the sensitivity of the radar equipment. I guess that it'll explain the huge variation you find in tones of aircraft based in different regions and subject to different forces of natures.

- i7-7700k

- 32GB DDR4 2400Mhz

- GTX 1080 8GB

- Installed on SSD

- TM Warthog

DCS Modules - A-10C; M-2000C; AV8B; F/A-18C; Ka-50; FC-3; UH-1H; F-5E; Mi-8; F-14; Persian Gulf; NTTR

The radome is usually made out of glass fiber reinforced plastic because a non conductive material must be used. Same goes for antenna fairings. And as already said it is normally not allowed to apply any kind of paint because of possible blockage/distortion of the radar.

Don't forget to take into account reflected light. Depending on the surrounding colors, like trees or dirt, concrete or sky, the model will reflect light according to the rendering engine. Matte or gloss will have some effect but it should be subtle and not look like a moss or algae coating. To me gray-er is better.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

It's perfectly ordinary banter Squiffy, "Bally Jerry, pranged his kite, right in the 'how's your father.'" - Monty Python, RAF Banter Sketch.

Squiffy, a. slang. 1. Intoxicated; drunk. 2. Askew, skew-whiff. - OED

"Put that sucker in a 4G turn and keep it there!!" - Maj. Gen. "Boots" Blesse

I said something recently about people nit picking over random minutiae and here we have a 'concern thread' about the nose cone shading of a partially textured model. Exhibit A.

Де вороги, знайдуться козаки їх перемогти.

5800x3d * 3090 * 64gb * Reverb G2

Also something for the skinners - artistic grime removal :thumbup:

P1010036.jpgubiROQB.jpg

Edited by ams999

"[...] because, basically, in this day and age, if you get to the merge and no one's died - it's not good for anybody." - Keith 'Okie' Nance
"Nun siegt mal schön!" - Theodor Heuss, September 1958

"Nobody has any intention of building a wall." - Walter Ulbricht, June 1961
"Russia has no plans to invade either Ukraine or any other country.
" - Vladimir Chizhov, Russia's ambassador to the EU, January 2022

The F-16's radome has one job: to provide an aerodynamic covering of the radar assembly, and to allow the radar to "see" through it at the same time. The radome is not painted, but its neoprene coating is initially about the same color as the forward fuselage section (FS36270).

However, the coating is very sensitive to dirt and grime, and quickly darkens as a result of contaminants in the air. A radome is seldom replaced, so the color will continue to darken as it ages. During the Jet's routine repaint, the radome will remain unpainted. For this reason there is no "correct" color to represent a accurate radome. It can be any color between FS 36270 and dark grey.

That said, hope OP is now informed. to pick up on a small detail such as that.. the mind boggles..

Check six,

Pukedogg.

Edited by Pukedogg

No one has heard of pollen? I grew up in a region where, every spring, you would wake up in the morning to find your car covered in green powder. As Pukedogg said, the radome isn't painted at all, and it gets its "color" from picking up environmental crap.

Radomes are very regularly painted - paint doesn't stop radar waves.

You want to weatherproof your radome as much as possible because you know what does block radar waves...moisture trapped in fibreglass.

Asus Maximus VIII Hero Alpha| i7-6700K @ 4.60GHz | nVidia GTX 1080ti Strix OC 11GB @ 2075MHz| 16GB G.Skill Trident Z RGB 3200Mhz DDR4 CL14 |

Samsung 950 PRO 512GB M.2 SSD | Corsair Force LE 480GB SSD | Windows 10 64-Bit | TM Warthog with FSSB R3 Lighting Base | VKB Gunfighter Pro + MCG | TM MFD's | Oculus Rift S | Jetseat FSE

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Radomes are very regularly painted -

Not in the USAF F-16

To whom it may concern,

I am an idiot, unfortunately for the world, I have a internet connection and a fondness for beer....apologies for that.

Thank you for you patience.

Many people don't want the truth, they want constant reassurance that whatever misconception/fallacies they believe in are true..

Not in the USAF F-16

Indeed - apologies I was replying to this earlier comment - I should have quoted;

The radome is usually made out of glass fiber reinforced plastic because a non conductive material must be used. Same goes for antenna fairings. And as already said it is normally not allowed to apply any kind of paint because of possible blockage/distortion of the radar.

Asus Maximus VIII Hero Alpha| i7-6700K @ 4.60GHz | nVidia GTX 1080ti Strix OC 11GB @ 2075MHz| 16GB G.Skill Trident Z RGB 3200Mhz DDR4 CL14 |

Samsung 950 PRO 512GB M.2 SSD | Corsair Force LE 480GB SSD | Windows 10 64-Bit | TM Warthog with FSSB R3 Lighting Base | VKB Gunfighter Pro + MCG | TM MFD's | Oculus Rift S | Jetseat FSE

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

F-16 USAF camo.

Old (or "three-color")

Nose & intake profile: FS36118 (15% scale fade) (humbrol 156)

Topside: FS36118 (humbrol 125)

Sides, wingtips & vertical satbilizer: FS36270 (humbrol 126)

Underside, pylons & drop tanks: FS36375 (humbrol 127)

New (or "two-color)

Nose & intake profile: FS36118 (15% scale fade) (humbrol 156)

Topside: FS36118 (humbrol 125)

Overall: FS36270 (humrol 126)

P.S. many drop tanks still in FS36375 (humbrol 127 or light ghost grey)

The 1F-16CJ-2-00GV-00-1, starting on Figure 11-1, page 11-4 would show you what colors, what parts have no finish nor paint (including the radome). It show you all the makings dimensions and placement locations to include instrument markings.

To whom it may concern,

I am an idiot, unfortunately for the world, I have a internet connection and a fondness for beer....apologies for that.

Thank you for you patience.

Many people don't want the truth, they want constant reassurance that whatever misconception/fallacies they believe in are true..