Damage Model Update - 10/12 - Page 47 - ED Forums

Notices

Old 07-08-2019, 10:49 PM   #461
Catseye

Quote:
Originally Posted by NineLine View Post
Who said it was hard? What it is, is a lot of man-hours, if you have worked on one then you probably have some idea, now put that on one of the most advanced Flight Models you can find, and make it all work, its a lot of work. I don't think I need to see exact specific puffs for each different type of ammunition in the game, but I do agree there needs to be some variation in the look, feel and sound of the hits based on what is hitting you.

Agreed!,
One of my main concerns after having spent many hours developing the appearance of .303 DeWilde rounds, Spitfire/Hurricane, hitting and igniting the round on impact is that it really is sparkles. NOT explosions. There were no explosive rounds from the .303 nor the 20mm Hispano during this time period.

As it is a Simulator and not Warthunder, it should at least respect three things.

1. Bullet impacts from ball, contact incendiary (deWilde) and smoke trail tracers - not big overblown impacts.

2. Bullet impact from Browning .50 cals from U.S. aircraft which were API. Watch those big flashes on WWII footage when trains are being attacked by U.S. aircraft.

3. Explosive Minengeschoss from some German aircraft. Tungsten MG heavy impact but not explosive.

Lots of impact puffs but not BiG flashes indicating explosions. Overdoing the graphics is . . . . well, artistic license but not real.

Cheers
Catseye is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2019, 12:02 AM   #462
NineLine
Community Manager

Yup, this is a big deal for us, so as long as it takes to get it where it needs to be is how long it will take

I've seen some cool stuff with gear now, such as locks failing, so gear doesn't stay up, or lock in place when down. Gonna be helpful to have a wingman after a good tussle to make sure your gear is really in place
ED Facebook PageED YouTube PageWags YouTubeMy YouTube • My Discord - NineLine #0440
**How to Report a Bug**

Last edited by NineLine; 07-09-2019 at 12:05 AM.
NineLine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2019, 12:37 AM   #463
Magic Zach

Quote:
Gonna be helpful to have a wingman after a good tussle to make sure your gear is really in place
This is one of the reasons I look forward go the DM. Having a wingman to check you for damage.
At present, it isn't consistent all the time. Have a buddy a look in his 51 a few weeks ago, saying he was having some engine troubles, the compass gyro was out and so was his sight. Looked him over, and I didn't see a scratch. I hope the days of this will be behind us with the new DM.
Old 07-09-2019, 12:53 AM   #464
Catseye

Quote:
Yup, this is a big deal for us, so as long as it takes to get it where it needs to be is how long it will take

I've seen some cool stuff with gear now, such as locks failing, so gear doesn't stay up, or lock in place when down. Gonna be helpful to have a wingman after a good tussle to make sure your gear is really in place

For WWII theaters it's great when you hit a bomber engine for example, and the gear which is under that location loses hydraulics and hangs down limp. Another indication of some success and that there is good likelyhood that the bomber will not have a successful landing, if any.

Looking forward to the possiblility of those niceties.
Old 07-09-2019, 05:52 AM   #465
grafspee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catseye View Post
For WWII theaters it's great when you hit a bomber engine for example, and the gear which is under that location loses hydraulics and hangs down limp. Another indication of some success and that there is good likelyhood that the bomber will not have a successful landing, if any.

Looking forward to the possiblility of those niceties.
i dont think so that gear hangs on hydraulic during flight, gear should be mechanicly locked somehow to lift load from hydraulic system
grafspee is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2019, 12:29 PM   #466
DD_Fenrir

Quote:
Originally Posted by grafspee View Post
i dont think so that gear hangs on hydraulic during flight, gear should be mechanicly locked somehow to lift load from hydraulic system
Totally a/c dependent.

Some aircraft the up lock can automatically disengage on a loss of hydraulic pressure to drop the gear by gravity so that it's down for emergency landing.

In some cases the uplock mechanism could itself be damaged and fail causing one leg to drop but not the other. There is gun camera footage of just such an event occurring to an Fw 190 out there somewhere.

On aircraft with electrically actuated undercarriage systems, damage to the circuit could result in a short initiating gear extension, or alternatively it could automatically extend on loss of electrical power (again safety reasons).

There are a multitude of factors.
DD_Fenrir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2019, 05:34 PM   #467
Catseye

Quote:

You're missing the point!

Don't be so pedantic.
Old 07-09-2019, 06:45 PM   #468
NineLine
Community Manager

Quote:
The lock can be destroyed as well.
ED Facebook PageED YouTube PageWags YouTubeMy YouTube • My Discord - NineLine #0440
**How to Report a Bug**
Old 07-09-2019, 08:18 PM   #469
grafspee

yep, are we going to see something like this in New DM ??
grafspee is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2019, 09:08 PM   #470
NineLine
Community Manager

Quote:
yep, are we going to see something like this in New DM ??
That is what I was commenting on, the lock in DCS can be destroyed, so the lock both down and up, the strut, the wheel, the mechanism that moves it and the system behind it can all be destroyed or damaged, so you could have the gear drop, the gear stuck up, the gear collapse on landing.
**How to Report a Bug**