Damage Model Update - 10/12 - Page 46 - ED Forums

Notices

Old 06-11-2019, 12:25 AM   #451
NineLine
Community Manager

Yeah its already reported as needing lots of loves.
ED Facebook PageED YouTube PageWags YouTubeMy YouTube • My Discord - NineLine #0440
**How to Report a Bug**
NineLine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2019, 01:49 AM   #452
Catseye

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hiromachi View Post
Yes, I had the same impression regarding .50 caliber and hit animations. Based on the available footage like guncams in comparison to what is in game right now, when your round hits object you see a lot of sparks, whereas in reality there should be a tiny flash associated with the tip of the round being covered in magnesium which upon impact with aluminium skin of the airframe should create flash.
Than, hit should produce a tiny puffs of whitish smoke due to incendiary part of the round, whereas with recent update we get big puffs of the dark grey smoke covering entire aircraft and obstructing the view.

I dont know if this is intentional and final, considering DM is still WIP as Nineline said. But it shows that they're trying and that is good. Lets hope it keeps going in that good direction

+1
Artists conception vs. reality.

Rant on!

API .50 should look different than a DeWilde .303 which should look different from a Tungsten round which should look different from a Hispano He round and so on and so on and so on.

Lot's of folks here just look at the calibre and should be looking at the design of the round chosen.

Another SIM takes serious programming to make this apparent even in the damage model. Has been for about 10 years. What's so hard to do it now in these times?

I know because I was part of the team working on the damage model in the other SIM.

Rant off!
Catseye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2019, 03:01 AM   #453
NineLine
Community Manager

Who said it was hard? What it is, is a lot of man-hours, if you have worked on one then you probably have some idea, now put that on one of the most advanced Flight Models you can find, and make it all work, its a lot of work. I don't think I need to see exact specific puffs for each different type of ammunition in the game, but I do agree there needs to be some variation in the look, feel and sound of the hits based on what is hitting you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catseye View Post
+1
Artists conception vs. reality.

Rant on!

API .50 should look different than a DeWilde .303 which should look different from a Tungsten round which should look different from a Hispano He round and so on and so on and so on.

Lot's of folks here just look at the calibre and should be looking at the design of the round chosen.

Another SIM takes serious programming to make this apparent even in the damage model. Has been for about 10 years. What's so hard to do it now in these times?

I know because I was part of the team working on the damage model in the other SIM.

Rant off!
ED Facebook PageED YouTube PageWags YouTubeMy YouTube • My Discord - NineLine #0440
**How to Report a Bug**
Old 06-12-2019, 12:06 AM   #454
Buzzles

Quote:
Originally Posted by NineLine View Post
I don't think it was meant to be released yet, effects are still being tuned.

Please start dropping links to Git in internal emails to the coders. Sounds as if the branch merge under whatever source control system they're currently using (SVN is it?) is causing some terrible problems.
Buzzles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2019, 10:21 PM   #455
Magic Zach

An update, please?

And screenshot perhaps. Maybe a small list of different conditions in which the DM will act differently? Like ditching behavior, or not instantly exploding upon hitting the ground. Not every crash results in a firey kaboom. It could change depending on fuel load, or maybe the fuel doesn't all ignite at once.
Graphical changes? We won't have the painted-on black splatter, or the same looking damage every time? Holed and scrapes are always in the same position, might need a bit of random to it.
Big question though, would something like soft-body physics be added as well, or does that not compatible with the DCS engine? I mean, my wing being bent or folded, but still loosely (barely) attached.

Any update would be nice, tbh. I just had a list of questions in case there were any answers for them.
Old 06-22-2019, 10:24 PM   #456
NineLine
Community Manager

Currently, the DM update is only focused on combat damage. But things like ditching, etc are all reported for improvements.
**How to Report a Bug**
Old 06-22-2019, 10:28 PM   #457
Magic Zach

Quote:
Originally Posted by NineLine View Post
Currently, the DM update is only focused on combat damage. But things like ditching, etc are all reported for improvements.
Alright, thx m8!
Old 06-27-2019, 04:23 AM   #458
rhinofilms

Totally agree with Catseye. Not a fan of the sparks -- it should be a small flash.
rhinofilms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2019, 07:53 PM   #459
Catseye

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al-Azraq View Post
Has anyone else noticed way better impact effect and damage? I was hitting that B17 formation and sparks when jumping when hit and small explosions in my wing when I was being hit. It was really cool!

Damage model and damage graphics - two different but related things when the damage model gets completed.

Having bits fly off is a graphics issue, it's the hydraulics, cylinder heads, fuel tanks, main struts and the materials that make these up that have to have a calculation applied to them related to the trajectory of the bullet, the type of bullet and the impact related to other ballistics and if the bullet has traveled through another part of the plane before contact.

Then what failures take place - rad leak and glycol streaming behind followed by an overheated engine? Smoke trail followed by fire followed by wing failure other damage.

These will take some time to perfect and I'm really looking forward to it.

Especially if they apply the damage model to railway trains. Straffing sparkling and then huge steam shooting upward followed by engine seizure or fuel cars exploding. Heck, even fuel storage tanks would be great if heavy API brought to bear on them.

Last edited by Catseye; 06-27-2019 at 07:57 PM.
Catseye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2019, 08:49 AM   #460
lucky-hendrix

Any news ? It is really taking forever xD

Sent from my VTR-L09 using Tapatalk
lucky-hendrix is offline   Reply With Quote