Tarawa landing . Why land like helicopter? - ED Forums

Notices

Old 11-07-2018, 11:36 AM   #1
DmitriKozlowsky

Default Tarawa landing . Why land like helicopter?

I get it, that real world NATOPS and USMC Harrier and F-35B Squadrons SOPs dictate a helicopter like approach and landing. Approach to vessel's port (aviator's starboard) side, stabilize at 50 feet above deck, then little side shimmy to stabilize 50' above landing station. Then land vertically, with respect to vessel, around 12-20 knots . Vessel usually steaming into wind, to provide 20-30 knots wind over deck. OK so that is SOP.
I am questioning this process, when it appears , that approaching from vessel's stern, and landing with 5-10 kn IAS using runline, is easier quicker and safer.
DmitriKozlowsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2018, 11:56 AM   #2
ZeroReady

Not positive, but could it be because the Harrier's wheel brakes are barely functional and the suspension isn't built to handle slamming down on a pitching deck at speed? Just safer and easier on the jet to come down vertically?
ZeroReady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2018, 11:58 AM   #3
USSInchon

It is possible to do it the way you suggest, and in certain cases it is done. However, during Case I operations it allows for harrier landings while helicopters are staged on the starboard spots. This means that the Harriers can land be rearmed while helicopters/Ospreys are ferrying Grunts and supplies to the beach without having to protect for a long rollout by a Harrier.
USSInchon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2018, 12:28 PM   #4
DmitriKozlowsky

USSInchon. Thats sounds good. But it would not preclude stern straight approach and landing almost vertically with 5 knot ground(deck) speed, on strern station. It takes minimal room, and leaves plenty space for rotary operations. There is no need to slam onto deck with F/A-18 VV .
DmitriKozlowsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2018, 02:16 PM   #5
Shadow_1stVFW

In the Sim, sure, why not.

In real life
What happens if the brakes fail on roll out?
What happens if a tire blows?
What new approach system will be installed on the ship to accommodate this?
What about all the lessons learned during WWII on straight in approaches to ships?

I could go on.

The ship is designed to accept aircraft in that manner.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
Old 11-08-2018, 09:11 AM   #6
Nealius

There is also footage showing recoveries of multiple jets parking along the tram line. If you're #2 or #3 and you come in for a rolling landing, you'll smack into the guy parked in front of you. There's simply not as much deck space as a full-fledged carrier.

ASUS Z170 | i5-7600 | GTX1050Ti | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 10
Nealius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2018, 05:54 PM   #7
CoBlue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadow_1stVFW View Post
In real life
What about all the lessons learned during WWII on straight in approaches to ships?
I was wondering why the tight CASE I pattern is preferred instead of straight in approaches on the carrier, thinking F-18 here. What was the disadvantages of straight in approaches vs. CASE I pattern?
Old 11-09-2018, 06:28 PM   #8
Shadow_1stVFW

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoBlue View Post
I was wondering why the tight CASE I pattern is preferred instead of straight in approaches on the carrier, thinking F-18 here. What was the disadvantages of straight in approaches vs. CASE I pattern?
By "straight in" I meant deck style. I should have been more clear. I was specifically talking about the invention of the angled deck.

But, to answer your question the Case I approach is extremely efficient. I allows pilots and controllers to conduct radio silent recoveries, it's simple, and can be translated to ground based airfields which simplifies pilot training.
Old 11-09-2018, 06:30 PM   #9
Repth

The CASE I pattern is a modified left hand traffic pattern similar to what you have at your local small airport. It simplifies the work for the controllers and allows proper separation between landing aircraft, Whereas if planes were to come straight in they could potentially be arriving from anywhere in a 180 degree arc and collisions could occur. Using CASE I one ensures that all aircraft are approaching the runway or landing area from the same direction.

Edit: Sniped by Shadow

Last edited by Repth; 11-09-2018 at 06:32 PM.
Repth is offline   Reply With Quote