Carrier speed for Case I/III to slow ?

lucky-hendrix

Hi all,

I looked at the instant instant mission for Caucasus and Persian Gulf in the mission editor. And it seems that for Case I/III the wind speed is set @5kts and the carrier speed @11kts.

Isn't this too slow ? I was under the impression the wind speed over deck should be around 25-30kts?

thx

You make me laugh with your science rocket math formula that maybe 2% of people here will use, even though appreciated.

But i simply set my carrier to 27 kts, specialy now that sliding is fix on Open Beta it's even more fun, and if i add some winds speed, will it just add a more challenge. I'm too laysy to do math and simply set my carrier to a 27 kts, though online is different, as eveyone sets it different, so it's always a matter to adjust yourself. But yes for me 11 kts is way too slow, it's almost slower than the Tarawa for Harriers.

I once set my wind speed in excess of 150 knots with some pretty fun results!

MS Win7 Pro x64, Intel i7-6700K 4.0Ghz, Corsair RAM 16Gb,EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 FTW GAMING ACX 3.0, w/ Adjustable RGB LED Graphics Card 08G-P4-6286-KR, Creative Labs SB X-FI Titanium Fatal1ty Champ PCIe Sound Card, Corsair Neutron XTI 1TB SSD, TM Warthog Throttle & Stick, TM TPR Pedels, Oculus Rift VR Headset CV1, Klipsch Promedia 4.1 Speakers...

Minimum recovery headwind for Hornet C/D is 18KTS. That's total wind over the deck as Trev alluded to; relative wind speed plus ship's speed. The main point of minimum recovery headwind is actually for the stress on the tailhook and arresting gear. 25-30KTS is recommended, but without going too far down the rabbit hole, 16KTS is always too slow.

Guys,

Thanks for all the formulas, But you didn't read my post ...

I say :

Carrier speed is 11kts.

Wind speed is 5kts

Wind direction is roughly aligned with angled deck bearing.

So wind over deck will be 'roughly' 11+5=16kts (or slightly less)

You just have to look at the CASE I& CASE III instant missions in the mission editor, very simple.

----

So my question is : Why did ED setup the instant mission like that ? it seems to be too slow of a wind speed over deck for recovery .

Can someone point to an actual source stating the min-max wind over deck for safe recovery ??

Should ED modify their instant action mission to match reality ?

Guys,

Thanks for all the formulas, But you didn't read my post ...

I say :

Carrier speed is 11kts.

Wind speed is 5kts

Wind direction is roughly aligned with angled deck bearing.

So wind over deck will be 'roughly' 11+5=16kts (or slightly less)

You just have to look at the CASE I& CASE III instant missions in the mission editor, very simple.

----

So my question is : Why did ED setup the instant mission like that ? it seems to be too slow of a wind speed over deck for recovery .

Can someone point to an actual source stating the min-max wind over deck for safe recovery ??

Should ED modify their instant action mission to match reality ?

There was one article stating that optimal takeoff speed would be 22 knots wind over deck and recover speed would be 25-30 knots over deck. To see the wind speed as DCS measures it just place a spawning F/A-18 on one of the catapults and join it. The wind speed will show on the status line when viewing outside F2. :thumbup:

And why ED made that mission you can wonder with all the help they seem to have from pilots.

Edited by HiJack

If you search the net for "Carrier Landing Parameters from Survey 45, Fleet and Training" you will find an interesting .pdf file that describes a lot of tests for different aircrafts. Check that .pdf for "TABLE 1: DAY/NIGHT MEAN LANDING VALUES COMPARISON" :)

... Because deck sliding issue. ..

I never was aware of the deck sliding issue that now suppose to be 'fixed',

BUT when yesterday I made wind speed 18 and boat speed 14,

when parking on the deck after landing, my F18 'moved' half a yard to and fro or so with the (rather massively) heaving deck.

Which is interesting, amusing, to watch, but still a tiny bit weird (low importance I'd say).

Also when I increased turbulence settings, with settings 1-3 OK, but set at for instance six (6) with 32 kts over the deck (tried to make the deck - and the ICLS - move a lot),

there is some weird unintended 'flare' behavior just above the deck (suddenly lifting the F18 10 feet), somewhere perhaps in the dead-zone of the tower that makes trapping about impossible (hook bouncing or whatever, floating over the deck).

I read a couple of months ago somewhere, a supposed DCS simulation limit to wind over deck of 30 kts, because this still needs to be modeled properly .. (?),

trapping with wind over deck 32 and turbulence 3 is no problem whatsoever (but for the interestingly movements of the ICLS horizontal needle coming down)

perhaps this still is 'in the pipeline'?

Edited by majapahit

| VR goggles | Autopilot panel | Headtracker | TM HOTAS | G920 HOTAS | MS FFB 2 | Throttle Quadrants | 8600K | GTX 1080 | 64GB RAM| Win 10 x64 | Voicerecognition | 50" UHD TV monitor | 40" 1080p TV monitor | 2x 24" 1080p side monitors | 24" 1080p touchscreen |