looking for list of ADF frequencies

fitness88

I once thought it didn't. I did set up the frequency the map told me for the small airporton Sirri Island, switched my COMM2 to ADF and nothing happened. Well, I took a closer look just to see the frequencies on the map are truncated and therefor totally incorrect. It shows 113.8 whereas 113.75 is correct. The latter can be seen though by selecting the airport itself and checking the boxes in the lower left corner. On the other hoof, I often encouter these boxes being too small for the information given, be it a wide list of frequencies for ATC (though that's rare) or just coodinates for units that show just Lat but no Long at all.

35045369_DCS2018-08-1420-21-07-36.thumb.jpg.3ea3b4cbc119afd4a3d6e47e933285e2.jpg

813554275_DCS2018-06-0400-08-14-14.thumb.jpg.6a4a11b3aff3d12d7ad2fb50cbe9f33f.jpg

dcsdashie-hb-ed.jpg

I thought F-18 couldn't use VOR. Is NDB what is written on the charts/maps or is it VOR? Is VOR a beacon and the ADF the receiver for VOR?

NDB stands for non-directional beacon and is usually the term for the transmitter antenna. As the name suggests, it transmits in all directions simultaneously. ADF (automatic direction finder) is the term for the receiver. Use the ADF in your aircraft to navigate via NDBs.

A VOR (VHF Omnidirectional radio range) transmits also in every direction but not simultaneously. There are actually two signals. One signal, which rotates and a reference signal, which is omnidirectional and 'blips', when the rotating signal hits the 000 radial. When receiving both, using time difference between the two signals, you can calculate, to which radial the rotating signal corresponds.

The frequency range of NDBs is usually in the 100kHz range while for VORs, it is the 100MHz range.

I thought F-18 couldn't use VOR. Is NDB what is written on the charts/maps or is it VOR? Is VOR a beacon and the ADF the receiver for VOR?

I found this slightly confusing too.

The Hornet radio set can tune to a relatively wide range of frequencies, including the range in which VORs transmit. The radio can also establish the direction of the radio it's receiving. So while the Hornet doesn't have a VOR receiver in the sense many pilots (at least civil pilots) would understand, it can direction find off of a VOR signal.

In short it's a strange hybrid, receiving from a VOR transmitter but with an NDB type representation in the cockpit.

I found this slightly confusing too.

The Hornet radio set can tune to a relatively wide range of frequencies, including the range in which VORs transmit. The radio can also establish the direction of the radio it's receiving. So while the Hornet doesn't have a VOR receiver in the sense many pilots (at least civil pilots) would understand, it can direction find off of a VOR signal.

In short it's a strange hybrid, receiving from a VOR transmitter but with an NDB type representation in the cockpit.

Are you saying we take the VOR frequency and treat it as we would any ADF signal and input the frequency into the radio?

Yeah, tune the VOR into the radio as if it was a com freq then flip the ADF switch to the respective radio. Wags did a video on it too.

Thanks will give it a try later tonight.

I must say that once I put together the airfields quick info sheet on GPS co-ords, putting waypoints in at the runway threshold has become so simple and fast.