Seat height

DGC338

The seat height can be adjusted up & down with the seat switch. Switch is beside the pilot left leg and throttle friction lever.

I believe as it suit pilot base on physical height, this can be move

Edited by Eaglewings

Windows 10 Pro 64bit|Ryzen 5600 @3.8Ghz|EVGA RTX 3070 XC3 Ultra|Corair vengence 32G DDR4 @3200mhz|MSI B550|Thrustmaster Flightstick| Virpil CM3 Throttle| Thrustmaster TFRP Rudder Pedal /Samsung Odyssey Plus Headset

With the default cockpit for me, I do not see some of the cockpit information especially for the rpm percentage on the IFEI so I normally adjust the seat height to enable me see that part very well. Also I would adjust the seat height to get proper HUD view during aar.

This is for me though. I do not know how it works for other, it is a part that id rarely talked about.

Edited by Eaglewings

Windows 10 Pro 64bit|Ryzen 5600 @3.8Ghz|EVGA RTX 3070 XC3 Ultra|Corair vengence 32G DDR4 @3200mhz|MSI B550|Thrustmaster Flightstick| Virpil CM3 Throttle| Thrustmaster TFRP Rudder Pedal /Samsung Odyssey Plus Headset

I've not tried it in the Hornet, but I find it useful to raise the seat in the Mirage for landings. And lowering it in flight to see more detail in the HUD.

MSI M5 z270 | Intel i5 7600k (OC) 4.8GHz | MSI GTX1080ti Gaming X 11Gb | 500gb Samsung 970 Evo NVME M.2 (DCS World) | 500gb Samsung 850 Evo SSD (OS and Apps) | 32Gb 2400MHz DDR4 - Crucial Ballistix | Be Quiet Silent Loop 240mm | NZXT H440 case |

Thrustmaster Warthog - 47608 with Virpil Mongoose joystick base | MFG Crosswinds - 1241 | Westland Lynx collective with Bodnar X board | Pilot's seat from ZH832 Merlin | JetSeat | Oculus Rift S | Windows 10 | VA |

Like in the A-10C, it is more like a gimmick, yes. Some people just find it easier to raise/lower their viewpoint a little bit though. Speaking of which, I looked through some files in the DCS folder and ED already has some pretty nice sound files for the seat adjustment servo/motor/whatever but in game those sounds are not enabled. I wonder why.

I suspect that this subject has been hashed out in other threads, but I don't have time to search them out. I have noticed that the default view assumes that everybody has the same sitting height as I have experimented with moving my monitor up or down with TrackIR on or off. With the default view the top of the engine RPM readings are cut off and when you run the seat down you can't see the complete HUD picture, I have to compromise and set it somewhere in between.

Now, IRL when a pilot adjust the seat he will place his fist between the top of his helmet and the canopy for an optimum position, they are taught this in training and you can witness this in one or more YouTube videos. Also, IRL all the aircraft that I worked on had a step in the checklist to run the seat up to the full up position prior to shutdown, so when you start a cold and dark aircraft the seat would be in the full up position (which is really high). Maybe a setting for sitting position? I don't know, I'm just thinking out loud.

Digital Storm Lynx: i9-10850k (5.2 GHz): 64GB RAM (3200 MHz): 2TB SSD M.2 Samsung 970 EVO: 2TB Samsung HD: GEFORCE 2080 TI: Thrust Master WartHog (modified): TM F-18C joystick: Saitek Rudder Pedals: HP Reverb PRO: Volair Sim Cockpit: Current Stable Version of DCS :thumbup:

IRL Retired Maintainer of the AT-38B: F-4E/G: F-15A/B/C/D: and McDonnell Douglas/Boeing Technical Advisor for the F-15C/D. I drive trains now. :yawn:

I suspect that this subject has been hashed out in other threads, but I don't have time to search them out. I have noticed that the default view assumes that everybody has the same sitting height as I have experimented with moving my monitor up or down with TrackIR on or off. With the default view the top of the engine RPM readings are cut off and when you run the seat down you can't see the complete HUD picture, I have to compromise and set it somewhere in between.

Now, IRL when a pilot adjust the seat he will place his fist between the top of his helmet and the canopy for an optimum position, they are taught this in training and you can witness this in one or more YouTube videos. Also, IRL all the aircraft that I worked on had a step in the checklist to run the seat up to the full up position prior to shutdown, so when you start a cold and dark aircraft the seat would be in the full up position (which is really high). Maybe a setting for sitting position? I don't know, I'm just thinking out loud.

A custom setting for seat height isn’t required as you can adjust the default position to whatever you want and then save it.

https://forums.eagle.ru/showpost.php?p=3006209&postcount=3

Proud owner of:

PointCTRL VR : Finger Trackers for VR -- Real Simulator : FSSB R3L Force Sensing Stick. -- Deltasim : Force Sensor WH Slew Upgrade -- Mach3Ti Ring : Real Flown Mach 3 SR-71 Titanium, made into an amazing ring.

My Fathers Aviation Memoirs: 50 Years of Flying Fun - From Hunter to Spitfire and back again.

A custom setting for seat height isn’t required as you can adjust the default position to whatever you want and then save it.

https://forums.eagle.ru/showpost.php?p=3006209&postcount=3

Done that and it still requires me to raise the seat each time I enter the SIM.

I also think that it should "remember" the seat height when saving the default position.

edit: I just watched you link you provided to the youtube vid and saw the use of L_WIN + 6 command. I'll check it out.

Edited by Catseye

When saving a custom don't move the seat, leave the seat in its default position. Then move the view around using the move view keyboard keys or middle mouse click (presume that still works) and then save it then. If you move the seat before saving your custom view then the custom view will be offset by the amount you move the seat, defeating the whole purpose of the above.

Proud owner of:

PointCTRL VR : Finger Trackers for VR -- Real Simulator : FSSB R3L Force Sensing Stick. -- Deltasim : Force Sensor WH Slew Upgrade -- Mach3Ti Ring : Real Flown Mach 3 SR-71 Titanium, made into an amazing ring.

My Fathers Aviation Memoirs: 50 Years of Flying Fun - From Hunter to Spitfire and back again.

Now, IRL when a pilot adjust the seat he will place his fist between the top of his helmet and the canopy for an optimum position, they are taught this in training and you can witness this in one or more YouTube videos.

This isn't necessarily for proper seat height. This is to ensure that if you have to eject and the canopy fracturing system doesn't fire, the canopy breakers on the seat will safely punch through without also breaking your neck. For proper seat height, it depends on the aircraft, but you're lining up different things such as a gap between the glareshield and the MFDs, or to overlap certain parts of the HUD combiners.

This isn't necessarily for proper seat height. This is to ensure that if you have to eject and the canopy fracturing system doesn't fire, the canopy breakers on the seat will safely punch through without also breaking your neck. For proper seat height, it depends on the aircraft, but you're lining up different things such as a gap between the glareshield and the MFDs, or to overlap certain parts of the HUD combiners.

Changing seat height does not change the head to top of seat relationship. The breaker portion of the seat still hits the canopy at the same point in he sequence.

Maintaining a gap keeps them from scratching the hell out of the canopy with the helmet and nogs.

It’s pilot preference, some sit higher, some sit lower.

Edited by Rainmaker

I use VR and as such have to "center" the view each time prior to beginning. I use voice attack. With my voice I can "raise seat" or "lower seat" or "center" with my voice, and I never have to take my hands off the stick & throttle. My mileage, yours may vary.

I use VR and as such have to "center" the view each time prior to beginning. I use voice attack. With my voice I can "raise seat" or "lower seat" or "center" with my voice, and I never have to take my hands off the stick & throttle. My mileage, yours may vary.

captflyby - Are you able to adjust your seat to see the 10 degree line in the HUD. I also use VR and seem not to be able to see that line. Thanks

When saving a custom don't move the seat, leave the seat in its default position. Then move the view around using the move view keyboard keys or middle mouse click (presume that still works) and then save it then. If you move the seat before saving your custom view then the custom view will be offset by the amount you move the seat, defeating the whole purpose of the above.

Mouse center click worked and I saved the position.

Everything works OK now without having to raise the seat.

Thanks a bunch.