Switching to SSD - ED Forums

Notices

Old 01-05-2016, 01:37 PM   #1
Brixmis

Reputation power: 9
Brixmis is just really niceBrixmis is just really niceBrixmis is just really niceBrixmis is just really niceBrixmis is just really niceBrixmis is just really niceBrixmis is just really niceBrixmis is just really niceBrixmis is just really nice
Default Switching to SSD

I am keen to know if I am able to clone my DCS installations from my current drives to my new SSDs.

I'm not concerned about activations - that will be necessary in any case, what I'd like to avoid is having to download the whole kaboosh again.

That would be for both v1.5.2 and for the v2 open alpha.

I'm thinking of just directing the installers to the root folder of the cloned directories.

Anyone done it?
Old 01-05-2016, 02:12 PM   #2
txmtb

Reputation power: 8
txmtb is a jewel in the roughtxmtb is a jewel in the roughtxmtb is a jewel in the roughtxmtb is a jewel in the roughtxmtb is a jewel in the roughtxmtb is a jewel in the roughtxmtb is a jewel in the rough

You can just copy the directory over and update your shortcuts to the new directory path.

Win 10 64 Pro, MSI Z87 I5-4670K @4.5 Water Cooled, 16Gb Corsair Dominator, 2X EVGA 970 SSC SLI, 512Gb SSD's, 2 TB HD Raid, , TM Warthog, Pro Rudders, OpenTrack w/ IR Clip
Old 01-05-2016, 02:26 PM   #3
Azrayen
ED Translator

Reputation power: 29
Azrayen is a glorious beacon of lightAzrayen is a glorious beacon of lightAzrayen is a glorious beacon of lightAzrayen is a glorious beacon of lightAzrayen is a glorious beacon of lightAzrayen is a glorious beacon of lightAzrayen is a glorious beacon of lightAzrayen is a glorious beacon of lightAzrayen is a glorious beacon of lightAzrayen is a glorious beacon of lightAzrayen is a glorious beacon of light

And update the "path" keys from your registry (one key for each DCS branch installed).

This last step is useful for the updater, it needs to know where to search if you have multiple DCS installations; saves a lot of download time, by automatically copying files if identical across various installations.

Reference: http://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=154865
Old 01-05-2016, 02:39 PM   #4
Brixmis

Brixmis is just really niceBrixmis is just really niceBrixmis is just really niceBrixmis is just really niceBrixmis is just really niceBrixmis is just really niceBrixmis is just really niceBrixmis is just really niceBrixmis is just really nice

Great to know - thanks

I won't be cloning Windows, that will be a new install, so I take it new registry paths are entered once I start the sim and reactivate the modules?

Anyway, I'll check once I've got everything in.
Old 01-05-2016, 05:17 PM   #5
majapahit

Reputation power: 11
majapahit has a spectacular aura aboutmajapahit has a spectacular aura aboutmajapahit has a spectacular aura aboutmajapahit has a spectacular aura aboutmajapahit has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azrayen View Post
And update the "path" keys from your registry (one key for each DCS branch installed).

This last step is useful for the updater, it needs to know where to search if you have multiple DCS installations; saves a lot of download time, by automatically copying files if identical across various installations.

not necessary if you DCSupdater via cmd window in \bin folder (I do all the time with multiple installs)
Old 01-05-2016, 05:37 PM   #6
Azrayen
ED Translator

Reputation power: 29
Azrayen is a glorious beacon of lightAzrayen is a glorious beacon of lightAzrayen is a glorious beacon of lightAzrayen is a glorious beacon of lightAzrayen is a glorious beacon of lightAzrayen is a glorious beacon of lightAzrayen is a glorious beacon of lightAzrayen is a glorious beacon of lightAzrayen is a glorious beacon of lightAzrayen is a glorious beacon of lightAzrayen is a glorious beacon of light

majapahit, read the link provided.
It's useful for copies across installations.
Old 01-05-2016, 06:39 PM   #7
Genchou

Reputation power: 0
Genchou is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azrayen View Post

Is the dcs_local_source.txt still relevant ? I can't find it anywhere on my computer, I guess it's not used anymore ?
Old 01-09-2016, 10:27 AM   #8
Brixmis

Change to SSDs went smoothly and was my fastest ever reinstall of windows and my utilities/progs.

It's also very impressively fast

DCS World 1.5 and 2 open alpha both worked perfectly after copying to the SSD, just the expected reactivation required.

Now using 3 Samsung 850 evo's and one SATA III hard drive. Some of the installations were just supefyingly quick - and some were as slow as they always were! (here's looking at you, Elite: Dangerous!).
Old 01-09-2016, 10:38 AM   #9
Redglyph

Reputation power: 7
Redglyph is a jewel in the roughRedglyph is a jewel in the roughRedglyph is a jewel in the roughRedglyph is a jewel in the roughRedglyph is a jewel in the roughRedglyph is a jewel in the roughRedglyph is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brixmis View Post
Change to SSDs went smoothly and was my fastest ever reinstall of windows and my utilities/progs.

It's also very impressively fast

DCS World 1.5 and 2 open alpha both worked perfectly after copying to the SSD, just the expected reactivation required.

Now using 3 Samsung 850 evo's and one SATA III hard drive. Some of the installations were just supefyingly quick - and some were as slow as they always were! (here's looking at you, Elite: Dangerous!).
Does it improve the frequent mini-freezes while the world parts are loaded, while you fly or when you look in another direction? Those make it hard to enjoy some parts of NTTR, even on RAID 0.
Old 01-09-2016, 11:40 AM   #10
Brixmis

I haven't experienced those, even before the upgrade.

The main reason I wanted SSDs for DCS World were a) the sometimes very long mission load times (also the mission editor for NTTR was very slow and cumbersome - haven't tested that yet) and b) future proofing, for anything they might add in NTTR or future maps requiring better performance.

I did consider using a RAID set-up with the SSDs but decided to try without first, and so far I've not had reason to regret it.

Windows 7 HP64 installed completely in less than 10 minutes. As an example of the general speed increase. My PC start-up and shut down times are much, much faster than they have ever been, too. Copying large files (50GB+) is also incredibly quick - even when I was copying from the old hard disks to SSD.