ED Visionary In Bringing the P-51 to DCS

Slap_Chop

Remembering the controversy when ED introduced the P-51 to DCS. Many

scoffed.

Seems a bird is a bird to all true flight enthusiasts.

No words to describe the feeling. Behold.......

I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy and I've had both.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

"Behold..........

YouTube Video"

Erm...something is missing. Can you give a link?

Hardware: T-16000M Pack, Saitek 3 Throttle Quadrant, Homemade 32-function Leo Bodnar Button Box, MFG Crosswind Pedals Oculus Rift S

System Specs: MSI MPG X570 GAMING PLUS, GTX 1070 SC2, AMD RX3700, 32GB DDR4-3200, Samsung 860 EVO, Samsung 970 EVO 250GB

Modules: Ka-50, Mi-8MTV2, FC3, F/A-18C, F-14B, F-5E, P-51D, Spitfire Mk LF Mk. IXc, Bf-109K-4, Fw-190A-8

Maps: Normandy, Nevada

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Ah! Thanks!

Hardware: T-16000M Pack, Saitek 3 Throttle Quadrant, Homemade 32-function Leo Bodnar Button Box, MFG Crosswind Pedals Oculus Rift S

System Specs: MSI MPG X570 GAMING PLUS, GTX 1070 SC2, AMD RX3700, 32GB DDR4-3200, Samsung 860 EVO, Samsung 970 EVO 250GB

Modules: Ka-50, Mi-8MTV2, FC3, F/A-18C, F-14B, F-5E, P-51D, Spitfire Mk LF Mk. IXc, Bf-109K-4, Fw-190A-8

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I'd rather see the other aircraft from that formation in DCS.

Yeah, yeah, too modern, classified, can't do that, yadda yadda.

Hardware: VPForce Rhino, FSSB R3 Ultra, Virpil T-50CM, Hotas Warthog, Winwing F15EX, Slaw Rudder, GVL224 Trio Throttle, Thrustmaster MFDs, Saitek Trim wheel, Trackir 5, Quest Pro

I understand your desire for a F-22 but be aware that if ED were to make one right now it would be complete crap. When all the documentation on the aircraft is classified what can you do really? Not much...

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

"Who Knows only his own Generation remains always a child."

I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy and I've had both.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

"Who Knows only his own Generation remains always a child."

I know WWII generation pretty well, I have other, arguably better simulators for that period.

Hardware: VPForce Rhino, FSSB R3 Ultra, Virpil T-50CM, Hotas Warthog, Winwing F15EX, Slaw Rudder, GVL224 Trio Throttle, Thrustmaster MFDs, Saitek Trim wheel, Trackir 5, Quest Pro

I know WWII generation pretty well, I have other, arguably better simulators for that period.

Depends on how you define "better". But you'll get a more complete experience elsewhere, which OTOH is understandable since DCS WW2 is still under development ;)

That would be my question as well. I can only refer to things I've read elsewhere in the internets, as DCS is the only flight simulator I fly. As far as the Flight Model is concerned, I've not read anything putting any other simulation ahead of DCS's FM.

The 'simulations' I've read about which have a much richer WWII gaming environment, from my reading, also have much poorer FM's to the point of simply being games and not actual simulations.

• Like 1

When you hit the wrong button on take-off

hwl7xqL.gif

System Specs.

Spoiler
System board: MSI X670E ACE Memory: 64GB DDR5-6000 G.Skill Ripjaw System disk: Crucial P5 M.2 2TB
CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D PSU: Corsair HX1200 PSU Monitor: ASUS MG279Q, 27"
CPU cooling: Noctua NH-D15S Graphics card: MSI RTX 3090Ti SuprimX VR: Oculus Rift CV1

If you haven't even tried other simulators yourself, then your perspective is quite limited, don't you think? Especially to claim that only DCS is worthy to be called a simulator.

The performance of aircraft in other WWII simulators also matches real world data, the more subtle differences in FM are much harder to compare qualitatively and often come down to personal preference and controller setup.

WWII in DCS is still in an alpha state, without end in sight or even a clear roadmap. It's a nice study sim of four WWII aircraft that don't even fit into one realistic combat scenario (P-51 from Pacific theatre, two very-late-WWII German airplanes and almost a year older Spitfire), hindered by very poor damage model, abysmal AI, lacking assets and graphics engine still under heavy development.

Maybe in a few years things will improve, but personally, I'd rather see ED spend resources on post-WWII content, where they don't have any competition other than good old Falcon 4.0.

I stated, my perspective is from reports I've read; nothing more, nothing less.

But when I read things like 1942 lend-lease P-40's out climbing era Bf-109's then I tend to think something is amiss in somebody's FM.

I've read many reports of v-pilots testing DCS AC performance and comparing with published performance tests, and reaching very comparable results. What is difficult to reproduce are that some reports don't document every single AC setting a test pilots use, like whether radiator flaps were closed or not, which can change results significantly.

Regardless, from all my experience, both in reading reports, and personal in the sim, DCS is primarily committed to producing simulations of aircraft in the strictest sense of the term, and secondarily on peripheral aspects of the environment, like ground vehicles etc.

DCS did not primarily set out to create a WWII environment. It's something that kind of fell into their collective laps, and something I believe they have taken seriously since. Yet as far as this environment goes, ED is still at the beginning of a long journey.

I'm aware that people are impatient, and look at other WWII sim-environments and find what is still in alpha and beta in DCS lacking in comparison, which is a simple fact. The DCS WWII environment and some of it's modules are not only still in development, they are transitioning to new technology (T-4 map) and rebuilding some techniques from the ground up, like the Damage Model, in addition to the paradigm shift of VR.

Maybe mid 2018 (and this is just a slightly educated guess on my part) DCS might be able to present a viable WWII environment with a handful of AC to offer an enjoyable experience for a much wider audience of WWII-flightsim enthusiasts. I'm hoping so, but we shall see what we shall see.

• Like 1

When you hit the wrong button on take-off

hwl7xqL.gif

System Specs.

Spoiler
System board: MSI X670E ACE Memory: 64GB DDR5-6000 G.Skill Ripjaw System disk: Crucial P5 M.2 2TB
CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D PSU: Corsair HX1200 PSU Monitor: ASUS MG279Q, 27"
CPU cooling: Noctua NH-D15S Graphics card: MSI RTX 3090Ti SuprimX VR: Oculus Rift CV1

I think your info is either outdated or incorrect, haven't seen P-40 doing that on my PC. But what do I know, if you read it on the internet, that must be true.

DCS did not primarily set out to create a WWII environment. It's something that kind of fell into their collective laps, and something I believe they have taken seriously since. Yet as far as this environment goes, ED is still at the beginning of a long journey.

Yeah, that's the problem. DCS wasn't designed as a WWII combat sim from the start, it's something that still requires a lot of work from ED to "catch up" with the competition. Personally, I don't think its the best way to spend limited ED resources, but that's dragging this thread further off-topic :)

P-51D is my favourite, by a large margin! But it has nothing to do with WW2 or simulating historic battles. It is just to fly this incredible piece of engineering today!

Nothing can beat a warbird, and certainly not this one. Somehow they got flight "right", in its essence. Even tough I do own the Normandy map, for me, I just love to fly it in NTTR, just to see its gorgeous lines in the skies! And then the sound of that Merlin engine! Engineering can be so beautiful!

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

P-51D is my favourite, by a large margin...And then the sound of that Merlin engine!

Same! 51 forever.

Sounds amazing, but in real life. The sounds in DCS for the Mustang represent something closer to a vacuum cleaner at the moment.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]