Tacview, the ACMI for DCS World – Official Thread

Vyrtuoz

Where can I download the JPEG 2000 textures you are talking about? Are they free?

I don't know if this is the source of vicx's imagery, but you can download JPEG2000 orthoimages from Earth Explorer. Look at the selections on the left in the attached screenshot.

Paul

JP2000.jpg

It's been a while since I last used it but try modify this in a batch job:

start "" "C:\Program Files (x86)\Stra Software\Tacview 1.3.3 beta 1\Tacview (64-bit).exe" /Open:"%1"  /ExportFlightLog:"%2.csv" /Quiet
start "" "C:\Program Files (x86)\Stra Software\Tacview 1.3.3 beta 1\Tacview (64-bit).exe" /Open:"%1"  /ExportFlightLog:"%2.xml" /Quiet

This is mine batch file based on the one on TacView web site:

@echo off

rem Export flight logs from telemetry files

for /r %%i in (*) do (
echo Exporting flight log for [%%i]...
"C:\Program Files (x86)\Stra Software\Tacview\Tacview64.exe" -Open:"%%i" -ExportFlightLog:"%%i.csv" -Quiet -Quit
)

It exports all files in folder, but no matter what only XML format, even flies with CSV extension is XML when opening in editor.

I'm trying the free version and I have a question: I'm reviewing a mission in which I have to destroy bunkers heavily protected by aa defences, but in tacview I can see only the position and type of SAM threats and not the bunkers themselves. How can I see them? Is it possible?

nessuno0505, there is a way to do it.

I have done tests exporting mission specific regions of buildings and static objects and recording damage done to them during the course of a mission. It is possible and it makes great looking playbacks.

BUT to do it my way you have to use lua and integrate the code with the mission manually. I can share lua snippets that you can assemble but I would share them without support cause I am taking a break from this type of play while I wait for 1.xx and 2.xx to be merged. Honestly taking longer than two weeks :megalol:

Otherwise you might patiently wait and see what Vyrt has planned for Tacview 2.0. I think it will be able export most types of static objects AND scenery objects. Scenery export is not in the Tacview 1.xx exporter (not sure about Statics - some may work).

===

Now the conversation to have is what might be the best way to implement exporting of scenery objects in Tacview 2.0. The method has to be partially opinionated because you can't export ALL the scenery (run out of diskspace you will) and exporting large chunks on-demand might be bad for performance.

Two approaches come to mind.

First: Export mission-defined statics AND optionally a defined region of scenery around them

Second: Monitor damage to ALL scenery and export scenery objects in a small region around the damaged object. Monitor death of bomb/missile due to ground impact and export region so you can see what was missed (show undamaged scenery).

First approach could be VERY filesize greedy for large missions. Second approach might need clever code to avoid affecting runtime performance.

Both approaches might end up being quite resource intensive for many missions in which case a third approach would be to require mission designers to manually define zones (naming convention required) for scenery export. Mission designers become responsible for balancing export detail with predicted load on client and/or server.

Mission frameworks like MOOSE have a completely unique opportunity to use Tacview in much more powerful ways. They could pass structured data to Tacview for parsing or do their own unique and customised parsing for custom visualisation in

Anyway if have ideas, you should present them (Even if it's just what colors objects like bunkers and bridges should be in Tacview)

===

Still assembling ortho imagery for Nevada.

Edited by vicx

I have tested the flight log export with Tacview 1.6.3 and 1.6.4 and it is working well. I get a csv log when I ask for one.

Can you share the exact batch file you are using to do so?

Trying to export Tacview files using Commandline tool. Only get XML files. how to switch to CSV?

This is command:

Tacview.exe" -Open:"TacviewFileName" -ExportFlightLog:"TacviewFilename.csv" -Quiet -Quit

Regards Wingthor

tacview-signature-512x128x24.png

Vicx is right: it is a very complex task to export all the static objects from DCS World maps.

Right now, the exporter is exporting all the objects exposed by DCS World interface. This includes some, but not all, of the objects related to the mission like the bunkers.

In a future update, I will try to export some of the buildings.

I'm trying the free version and I have a question: I'm reviewing a mission in which I have to destroy bunkers heavily protected by aa defences, but in tacview I can see only the position and type of SAM threats and not the bunkers themselves. How can I see them? Is it possible?

So sorry if this has been reviewed here before, but I have just downloaded the latest version, seems to have installed ok (as a separate module in DCS).

When I go to load a DCS flight to view on Tacview, the acmi file loads up but there is NO AIRCRAFT showing and zero running time...only the two 'Bullseyes' and a yellow and black bar titled 'None'. Any ideas what I'm doing wrong?

Should Tacview be installed in 'program files' OR 'program files x86' ?

Edited by Comrade Vodka

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

:pilotfly:

I'm trying to study fuel consumption with the help of Tacview.

Started with the most convenient module I have, the Mirage 2000, but fuel data is just not logged :cry:

Then I picked up the second most convenient module, the MiG-21bis. This time the IAS is not recorded and more critically, the AOA logged values are too different from the cockpit's instruments. I performed a record from 1° to 10°, I get -0.1° to 3.9° in Tacview.

I think it's module specific with their special code routines behind the instruments but I'm asking anyway here if something can be done for Tacview in hope I can continue my research with it.

DCS V1.5.7.9411

I'll buy :

МиГ-23МЛД & МЛА МиГ-27К МиГ-25 Mirage III F-4E any IJ plane 1950' Korea Dynamic campaign module

Just want to say thanks for TacView. I'm teaching my son BFM and in his words it really clicks for him when he views the ACMI.

DCS Wishlist: | Navy F-14 | Navy F/A-18 | AH-6 | Navy A-6 | Official Navy A-4 | Carrier Ops | Dynamic Campaign | Marine AH-1 |

Streaming DCS sometimes:

You are correct: each aircraft is a specific case in DCS World. So far, I have done my best to export has much data as possible with the default functions available to me.

I have planned to experiment a bit deeper as soon as possible. If it works, I might be able to export more from third party aircraft in the future.

I'm trying to study fuel consumption with the help of Tacview.

Started with the most convenient module I have, the Mirage 2000, but fuel data is just not logged :cry:

Then I picked up the second most convenient module, the MiG-21bis. This time the IAS is not recorded and more critically, the AOA logged values are too different from the cockpit's instruments. I performed a record from 1° to 10°, I get -0.1° to 3.9° in Tacview.

I think it's module specific with their special code routines behind the instruments but I'm asking anyway here if something can be done for Tacview in hope I can continue my research with it.

DCS V1.5.7.9411

OK, it's not Tacview's fault indeed. I intended to create an export lua script to log and process directly the data I need, so I'm actually happy to cancel it and save time if the results would no be good anyway.

Meanwhile I found a simpler method just by reading the instruments. It gives crude and generic values but they do the job for flight planning.

I'll buy :

МиГ-23МЛД & МЛА МиГ-27К МиГ-25 Mirage III F-4E any IJ plane 1950' Korea Dynamic campaign module

I have a track on 2.1 and when I replay it, the tacview doesnt show the last 10 minutes, any way around this? I need the tacview from the last ~15 minutes... so i get 5 of them, but not the whole thing.... very frustrating.

Twitch2DCS - Bring twitch chat into DCS.

SplashOneGaming.com - Splash One is a community built on combat flight simulation. S1G Discord

twitch / youtube / facebook / twitter / discord

• 2 weeks later...

In the Justdogfight multiplayer server i have a while now constantly only 1kb files. Single player files are ok. Just updated to 1.6.3., problem persist.

The problem occurred when i bought the extended or how is it called version, in the initial trial version everything was ok. Any ideas?

I have tested the flight log export with Tacview 1.6.3 and 1.6.4 and it is working well. I get a csv log when I ask for one.

Can you share the exact batch file you are using to do so?

Sorry for late reply, though I would get no answer...

I can get CSV file when exporting from Win Gui. My Batch was given in my previous message, but here its again. Its suppose to grab all Tacview files in a directory, and make CSV exports.

@echo off

rem Export flight logs from telemetry files

for /r %%i in (*) do (
echo Exporting flight log for [%%i]...
"C:\Program Files (x86)\Stra Software\Tacview\Tacview64.exe" -Open:"%%i" -ExportFlightLog:"%%i.csv" -Quiet -Quit
)

Regards :)

If you are talking about Just Dogfight running DCS 1.5, it looks like it prohibits any data export (see the attached screenshot).

You may want to record your flight after a flight, by playing back the DCS World track file. This should work well with Tacview 1.6.3 and will generate a proper acmi file.

In the Justdogfight multiplayer server i have a while now constantly only 1kb files. Single player files are ok. Just updated to 1.6.3., problem persist.

The problem occurred when i bought the extended or how is it called version, in the initial trial version everything was ok. Any ideas?

justdogfight.thumb.jpg.17598744063119b610799a5b57b51308.jpg

Tacview 1.6.4 is available!

This intermediate release is manly focused on fixes and brings several improvements which have been requested for a long time (like the look-at dogfight camera).

Tacview 1.7 is already in development and will offer improved modules and tools related to customization. Like a new and smart database for the objects of the battlefield, as well as new module to manage navaids, airspaces, runways, ILS and so on.

Enjoy!

Vyrtuoz

Download: http://tacview.net/download

918897238935515136.jpg

FEATURES & CHANGES

• Added support for NMEA 0183 GPS files

• Added a Look-at camera mode to the dogfight camera

• Added IL-2 Sturmovik: Battle of Kuban terrain

• When not available, magnetic heading is now calculated using IGRF-12 models

• The line-of-sight between selected objects is now displayed in red when obstructed by terrain

• Attitude indicator, HIS and HUD heading indicator are now emulated when no rotation information is available

• Real-time telemetry and remote-control TCP ports can now be customized in DCS World exporter options

• Gear handle status is now recorded by FSX2ACMI

• It is now possible to mouse-hover buildings to display any available debug info

• Tacview will now display if the file is authentic, not altered since its recording

• Added more predefined types in the object properties editor

• You can now double click to restore the default aircraft trail size

• Boosted by a factor of two terrain texture resolution for the highest level of detail

• Updated BMS Ostsee theater to version 3.28.88

• Added BMS Nordic 2.0 theater

FIXES

• Mouse input (rotation, zoom...) is now giving the same result regardless on screen DPI

• Flaps status is now properly recorded for all FSX aircraft (e.g. A2A ones)

• Export Flight Log was not always working with Falcon 4.0 flight recordings

• The last lines of nmea and text acmi files was not always read (regression)

• Custom rectangular terrain textures were not always properly displayed

• Objects violating altitudes restrictions were not blinking anymore

• Debug console and log now properly output a full date including seconds

• Fixed multiple minor bugs in dockable windows

• The exporter will now properly work when the user’s name contains dots

• ExportFlightLog command was not exporting csv files when multiple file extension was used