Induce a Flat Spin? - Page 2 - ED Forums

Notices

Old 01-11-2016, 12:30 AM   #11
Auger73

Reputation power: 8
Auger73 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hadwell View Post
except that, when you're rotating, there is still air going past the rudder, and extending airbrakes and flaps gives more horizontal stability, any tiny bit of drag helps get out of the flatspin...
so long as the goal is to get the nose pointed down, and airspeed up past safe levels.
try it... test it...
When I went to flight school we were taught by definition a flat spin is a spin you can't recover from.

An airfoil will not generate lift (and resultant drag) if it's maximum angle of attack is exceeded.

I would think having something like vectored thrust would make all the difference.
Old 01-11-2016, 10:30 AM   #12
Fab

Reputation power: 2
Fab is on a distinguished road

Eject eject eject, only time you have a chance to recover from a flat spin, is in a plane designed to make flat spins, like some arobatic planes.

Not saying it cant happen, but flying jets, is all about making good desisions, in the right time, and here its Eject

VAT The Black Widows
I´m in for a ride, a VR ride
DCS Oculus Rift Videos
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCBX_-Hml7_7s1dggit_vGpA?view_as=public

Old 01-11-2016, 12:36 PM   #13
Holbeach

Reputation power: 10
Holbeach is just really niceHolbeach is just really niceHolbeach is just really niceHolbeach is just really niceHolbeach is just really niceHolbeach is just really niceHolbeach is just really niceHolbeach is just really niceHolbeach is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winfield_Gold View Post

As chuck yeager stated in chuck yeager's air combat from many moons ago,
"to get out of a spin, apply full throttle, push the stick all the way forward and apply full opposite rudder"

still rings true for any aircraft in this dcs sim when in a spin.

F.
He also said, it's not possible to get out of a spin in a Mig-15.

Try it and see.

"Infamy! Infamy! They've all got it in for me!"
(Kenneth Williams 1964).

Old 01-11-2016, 01:10 PM   #14
codefox

Reputation power: 9
codefox is just really nicecodefox is just really nicecodefox is just really nicecodefox is just really nicecodefox is just really nicecodefox is just really nicecodefox is just really nicecodefox is just really nicecodefox is just really nicecodefox is just really nicecodefox is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fab View Post
Eject eject eject, only time you have a chance to recover from a flat spin, is in a plane designed to make flat spins, like some arobatic planes.

Not saying it cant happen, but flying jets, is all about making good desisions, in the right time, and here its Eject
Its actually fairly easy to recover from a flat spin in a twin-engine aircraft. Just apply thrust on the engine opposite to the spin side and idle the other one. Full rudder should be applied as well.

I was able to recover from induced flat spins in the Su-27 and F-15.