Old newbie with questions - ED Forums

Notices

Old 01-10-2016, 02:11 PM   #1
Intruder505

Reputation power: 0
Intruder505 is on a distinguished road
Default Old newbie with questions

Is there a thread for newbies? I have a few questions and dont see a FAQ thread. I woulld like to kmow what the starting point woyld be for downloads? There are a few modules i would like to fly and own. I am really waiting for the f18 module. So what would be the starting point to get into dcs? Do you byy dcs world? I understand the modules are not stand alone. Also, if i have a hotas and mfd setup, can you use setup for eaxh and justvset up a different profile for each module? Ive been around sims since the lateceighties but starting over tgereaca big learning curve with todays sims. Thanks!
Old 01-10-2016, 02:20 PM   #2
ReaperSVK

Reputation power: 0
ReaperSVK is on a distinguished road

DCS World is free, you get Su25T and TF-51 for free too, and as a starting point I would recommend Flying Cliffs 3 module...you get the F-15E, A-10A, Su-27, MiG-29...these don't have a clickable cockpit and they are pretty easy to learn...if you master them, you can get into A-10C or Ka-50 Blackshark, or any other plane/helicopter you like the most
Old 01-10-2016, 02:21 PM   #3
Blooze

Reputation power: 10
Blooze is just really niceBlooze is just really niceBlooze is just really niceBlooze is just really niceBlooze is just really niceBlooze is just really niceBlooze is just really niceBlooze is just really nice

I would recommend taking one step at a time starting with downloading DCS World 1.5, getting it installed and flying the free SU25T for starters. After you have it installed go to START/ALL PROGRAMS/EAGLE DYNAMICS/DCS WORLD 1.5 BETA/DOCUMENTATION and send the USER MANUAL to your desktop. It will guide you through the set up process and get you started enough so you can evaluate things.

Last edited by Blooze; 01-10-2016 at 02:25 PM.
Old 01-10-2016, 02:23 PM   #4
Buzzles

Reputation power: 14
Buzzles is just really niceBuzzles is just really niceBuzzles is just really niceBuzzles is just really niceBuzzles is just really niceBuzzles is just really niceBuzzles is just really niceBuzzles is just really niceBuzzles is just really niceBuzzles is just really niceBuzzles is just really nice

Start here:
http://www.digitalcombatsimulator.co.../world/stable/

Download DCS World 1.5 which is the current stable version, it's free. You get two aircraft with it:
TF51 with a clickable cockpit and advanced systems modelling.
Su-25 without a clickable cockpit and with semi-simplified systems.

See how you get on with that, and then you can look at buying modules.

As for HOTAS, yes, you have to set up a different profile for each module.
Old 01-10-2016, 06:36 PM   #5
scarecrow101

Reputation power: 2
scarecrow101 is on a distinguished road

That's how I have started and it has worked out great. You can learn all the stuff you need to know and not spend a dime.