Simple or idiots guide to updating to 2.5.1

Mikedeltabravo

I am reaching out here to seek some simple and direct instruction as to update DCS to 2.5.1 I have SkateZilla's forum post and found it confusing. I am new to windows command prompts etc and his description there seems to be multiple ways SkateZilla recommends. Is there a chance that for any future updates DCS can allow the update to install through clicking the 'update' button? Thanks for you assistance in advance. Any help will be appreciated.

Why not use skates Excellent update utitlity?

https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=160053

SD

Thank you for replying so fast! I know this will probably be frustrating, I am a complete beginner with computers, I did click the link and I have no idea where to start with Skate's app he made. There is a tone of info there, is it something that I download? I am sorry for my lack of knowledge.

Why not use skates Excellent update utitlity?

https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=160053

SD

I came to this in the instructions:

Instructions:

1. Download the ZIP File, Extract Contents to temporary folder.

2. Place EXE in your /Eagle Dynamics/ Folder, Or Desktop ( Do Not Place in you /DCS World/ Folder )

3. Launch App, Configure Paths to DCS World Installs in Boxes on Left Hand Side.

4. Click Verify DCS Installs Button

5. Select Build you want to Manage from Drop down Menu on Top Left

** Do NOT Rename the EXE File **

These are instructions I don't understand. I am not wanting to stuff this up. Is there a more instructional version of the above?

I am reaching out here to seek some simple and direct instruction as to update DCS to 2.5.1 I have SkateZilla's forum post and found it confusing. I am new to windows command prompts etc and his description there seems to be multiple ways SkateZilla recommends. Is there a chance that for any future updates DCS can allow the update to install through clicking the 'update' button? Thanks for you assistance in advance. Any help will be appreciated.

So you currently have standard DCS World installed and now you want to convert it to the Open Beta? That's perfectly fine and can be done either by using the windows command prompt as explained in SkateZillas guide or by using his updater tool. If both methods are too complicated (his guide is actually pretty straight forward, but you need to read carefully), then I would recommend to just install the Open Beta from scratch, either in parallel to your standard installation or replacing it.

The download is available here: https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/downloads/world/

Intel i7-12700K @ 8x5GHz+4x3.8GHz + 32 GB DDR5 RAM + Nvidia Geforce RTX 2080 (8 GB VRAM) + M.2 SSD + Windows 10 64Bit

DCS Panavia Tornado (IDS) really needs to be a thing!

Tornado3 small.jpg

Alternatively, what's in Beta will soon be going to the full release. I personally don't bother with the beta. Now that all the maps are available at once in release, there's not any incentive to mess with alpha/betas unless you want to help bug hunt. It's usually only a short wait before it goes release, and I don't think most servers or missions use the beta version.

Since you're new to PCs, I want to emphasise that part : Alpha and Beta are basically terms denoting an unreleased prototype build that may or may not (but usually does) have even more bugs than usual. The primary purpose for downloading one is to serve as a tester and file bug reports.

Де вороги, знайдуться козаки їх перемогти.

5800x3d * 3090 * 64gb * Reverb G2

I've updated this (How to Update thread) with pictures explaining all the different ways you can update DCS.

Edited by David OC

i7-7700K OC @ 5Ghz | ASUS IX Hero MB | ASUS GTX 1080 Ti STRIX | 32GB Corsair 3000Mhz | Corsair H100i V2 Radiator | Samsung 960 EVO M.2 NVMe 500G SSD | Samsung 850 EVO 500G SSD | Corsair HX850i Platinum 850W | Oculus Rift | ASUS PG278Q 27-inch, 2560 x 1440, G-SYNC, 144Hz, 1ms | VKB Gunfighter Pro

Chuck's DCS Tutorial Library

Download PDF Tutorial guides to help get up to speed with aircraft quickly and also great for taking a good look at the aircraft available for DCS before purchasing. Link

Alternatively, what's in Beta will soon be going to the full release. I personally don't bother with the beta. Now that all the maps are available at once in release, there's not any incentive to mess with alpha/betas unless you want to help bug hunt. It's usually only a short wait before it goes release, and I don't think most servers or missions use the beta version.

Since you're new to PCs, I want to emphasise that part : Alpha and Beta are basically terms denoting an unreleased prototype build that may or may not (but usually does) have even more bugs than usual. The primary purpose for downloading one is to serve as a tester and file bug reports.

Thanks so much for your reply, this clears a few things up for me.

So you currently have standard DCS World installed and now you want to convert it to the Open Beta? That's perfectly fine and can be done either by using the windows command prompt as explained in SkateZillas guide or by using his updater tool. If both methods are too complicated (his guide is actually pretty straight forward, but you need to read carefully), then I would recommend to just install the Open Beta from scratch, either in parallel to your standard installation or replacing it.

The download is available here: https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/downloads/world/

Thanks QuiGon for replying, this has helped me which I will stick to 2.5 and wait for DCS to update to there. If I become really keen to check out the new updates from RAZBAN etc, I can do what you say and download from scratch.