Look at real eurofighter cockpit

TimeKilla

It was said the RAF removed the gun and filled it with some type of concrete but this changed its fight physics so they decided to put the gun inside the wing but not to wire the subsystems so it could not fire.

According to this video it looks like it will have one and be fully functional. Not sure if anyone else could shed some light?

Found this:

In 2001, it was announced that the Royal Air Force (RAF) would not use the aircraft's internal 27 mm Mauser cannon. This was due to a desire to save money by removing gun support costs, ammunition stocks, training costs, etc. The gun was also deemed unnecessary since the missile armament was believed to be adequate in the Typhoon's fighter role. However, because removal of the cannon would affect the aircraft's flight characteristics, requiring modification of the aircraft's flight software the RAF decided that all of its Typhoons would be fitted with the cannon but that it would not be used or supported. The service argued that this would save money by reducing the requirement for ground equipment, removing training costs and avoiding the fatigue effects of firing the cannon. The RAF maintained the option to activate the cannons at very short notice were operational requirements to change.[14] However in a third change of policy, the Daily Telegraph reported on 3 October 2006 that the RAF will fully utilise the cannon.[15]

MoD for you :doh:

Edited by TimeKilla

:joystick: YouTube :pilotfly:

TimeKilla on Flight Sims over at YouTube.

The typhoon has always had a gun fitted. There were thoughts of not fitting one during development, but that idea went away before the jet became operational.

Not only is it fitted, but it's in use and regularly loaded. It was "unused" during early service, but that was as much due to software/technical issues as MoD penny pinching. Although there was certainly some civil servant short sighted annual budget saving idiocy involved along the way.

Edited by Eddie
  • Like 1

Spoiler

Intel 13900K (5Ghz), 64Gb 6400Mhz, MSi RTX 3090, Schiit Modi/Magi DAC/AMP, ASUS PG43UQ, Hotas Warthog, RealSimulator FSSB3, 2x TM MFDs + DCS MFDs, MFG Crosswinds, Elgato Steamdeck XL

• 2 months later...
The deadly mistake was not training BFM.

Yes, but it goes hand in hand with supplying the missiles untested in operational conditions (e.g. fired from an aircraft which is maneuvering) and with severe engagement restrictions.

Edited by Dudikoff

i386DX40@42 MHz w/i387 CP, 4 MB RAM (8*512 kB), Trident 8900C 1 MB w/16-bit RAMDAC ISA, Quantum 340 MB UDMA33, SB 16, DOS 6.22 w/QEMM + Win3.11CE, Quickshot 1btn 2axis, Numpad as hat. 2 FPH on a good day, 1 FPH avg.

DISCLAIMER: My posts are still absolutely useless. Just finding excuses not to learn the F-14 (HB's Swansong?).

Annoyed by my posts? Please consider donating. Once the target sum is reached, I'll be off to somewhere nice I promise not to post from. I'd buy that for a dollar!

• 2 weeks later...
The deadly mistake was not training BFM.

During Korea, the Navy kill ratio was 12 to one. We shot down 12 of their jets for every one of ours. During Vietnam, that ratio fell to three to one. Our pilots became dependent upon missiles. They had lost some of their dogfighting skills. Top Gun was created to teach ACM, air combat maneuvering, dogfighting, and by the end of Vietnam, that ratio was back up to 12 to one.

:pilotfly:

• Like 1

If you aim for the sky, you will never hit the ground.

I love those buttons with mini LCD screens. But I wouldn't be glad if I would be responsible of its maintenance. The more of this little gadgets - the more things that can be broken :D

Edited by Suchacz
I love those buttons with mini LCD screens. But I wouldn't be glad if I would be responsible of its maintenance. The more of this little gadgets - the more things that can be broken :D

I am not disagreeing with what you said, but as the world moves forward, it is funny how history.. (And statements) repeat..

Here are a few similar statements I have made in the past about changes in technology...

What do we need electric start for? My kick starter works just great! (Motorcycles)

I am not sure I want electric windows and door locks becasue they are just another thing that will break... (cars)

Now today good luck in finding a street motorcycle that even HAS a kick starter... And nearly every car today has electric windows and door locks..

Just sayin'...

It IS interesting how the new-fangled gadgets often become mainstream and it doesn't usually take all that long to happen..

"Pride is a poor substitute for intelligence."

RAMBO

The MHDDs are actually one of the more reliable LRIs, in fact the cockpit systems are pretty good in general, and even if they do break you just take out the whole LRI and replace it. It's all the myriad of black boxes in the avionics bay etc. that can be a pain.

Edited by Eddie

Spoiler

Intel 13900K (5Ghz), 64Gb 6400Mhz, MSi RTX 3090, Schiit Modi/Magi DAC/AMP, ASUS PG43UQ, Hotas Warthog, RealSimulator FSSB3, 2x TM MFDs + DCS MFDs, MFG Crosswinds, Elgato Steamdeck XL

You are right of course, I was kinda joking ;) I'm not a real fan of this fancy modern sophisticated systems and full glass cockpits, I'm more an old-school-analog-stick&rudder (rotorhead)guy :pilotfly::thumbup:

...but that doesn't mean, that I'm not impressed by that!

You are right of course, I was kinda joking ;) I'm not a real fan of this fancy modern sophisticated systems and full glass cockpits, I'm more an old-school-analog-stick&rudder (rotorhead)guy :pilotfly::thumbup:

...but that doesn't mean, that I'm not impressed by that!

I am a rotorhead myself, but since I am an I/T geek as well, I want to see an ultra modern helicopter with a full glass cockpit so I was simply gutted when the Comanche was cancelled ...

Truly sad day that...

:(

"Pride is a poor substitute for intelligence."

RAMBO

During Korea, the Navy kill ratio was 12 to one. We shot down 12 of their jets for every one of ours. During Vietnam, that ratio fell to three to one. Our pilots became dependent upon missiles. They had lost some of their dogfighting skills. Top Gun was created to teach ACM, air combat maneuvering, dogfighting, and by the end of Vietnam, that ratio was back up to 12 to one.

:pilotfly:

And I bet you knew that statement off by heart didn't you :pilotfly:

Now dammit, I'm gonna have to go and watch the film, just to prove you got it wrong :thumbup:

Thanks for 360degs cockpit link, yep she sure is simple, so about time I got working on her I hear you cry!!

.....so about time I got working on her I hear you cry!!

Best let us finish the real one (or at least P2E) first so you have something to base it on. ;)

Spoiler

Is that the one with Brimstone and Storm Shadow?

Yes, but only after the P2E upgrade. P1E, which is ongoing at the moment adds basic AG (Enhanced Paveway & Paveway IV) capability to Tranche 2 aircraft.

To give an idea of the complexity associated with Typhoon, at Coningsby alone we have 6 different standards of aircraft. All with differing capabilities/functionality. And that is just the major versions (Production Standard Configurations - same thing as "Suites" on the A-10C). There are quite a few other minor modifications and updates on top of that as well. So modelling a Typhoon would be even more complicated that doing an F-16C in terms of working out what to actually model to start with.

Well basing on Tranche 2 at the moment....

Which type? :D

Edited by Eddie

Spoiler