How to set up Warthog Throttle

Luca Kowalski

I'm 2 seconds short of throwing my throttle trough my window!

How do I get this game to register the throttle movement?

I can keybind the throttle to some of the 'throttle' functions, some planes have a 'thrust' function too, tried to bind the thottle movement to that too, no succes...

It actually binds, so the game gets the signal from the throttle.

BUT...

When in my plane, pulling the throttle back and forth doesn't do shit!

Also, using the keyboard to move that damn throttle doesn't do anything.

:joystick::furious:

Who said penguins can't fly?

OK sounds like maybe you have an axis conflict start by picking a plane. assign a throttle axis, make sure no nothing else has the throttle axis assigned, use clear if you need to, report back, send screenshots.

Hornet, Super Carrier, Warthog & (II), Mustang, Spitfire, Albatross, Sabre, Combined Arms, FC3, Nevada, Gulf, Normandy, Syria AH-6J

i9 10900K @ 5.0GHz, Gigabyte Z490 Vision G, Cooler Master ML120L, Gigabyte RTX3080 OC Gaming 10Gb, 64GB RAM, Reverb G2 @ 2480x2428, TM Warthog, Saitek pedals & throttle, DIY collective, TrackIR4, Cougar MFDs, vx3276-2k

Combat Wombat's Airfield & Enroute Maps and Planning Tools

cw1.png

On some aircraft you need to assign the throttle axis to Throttle (ex: A-10C), on some to Thrust (ex: F-16, F-18 ).

Also, some "Throttle functions" are not for power but for other stuff, beware of mixing them up.

On what plane you want to set up the Throttle?

Win11 Pro 64-bit, Ryzen 5800X3D, Corsair H115i, Gigabyte X570S UD, EVGA 3080Ti XC3 Ultra 12GB, 64 GB DDR4 G.Skill 3600. Monitors: LG 27GL850-B27 2560x1440 + Samsung SyncMaster 2443 1920x1200, HOTAS: Warthog with Virpil WarBRD base, MFG Crosswind combat pedals, TrackIR4, Rift-S.

Personal Wish List: A6 Intruder, Vietnam theater, decent ATC module, better VR performance!

On some aircraft you need to assign the throttle axis to Throttle (ex: A-10C), on some to Thrust (ex: F-16, F-18 ).

Also, some "Throttle functions" are not for power but for other stuff, beware of mixing them up.

On what plane you want to set up the Throttle?

Any plane will do, as long as I can get it moving.

I have the following:

A-10C

F-16

F-18

FC

None ever flew! :cry::cry::cry:

You live up to your signature at the moment...

Ok, what axis do you bind on the Thrust/Throttle axis of these aircraft (Warthog is not the good answer... :-) )?

Win11 Pro 64-bit, Ryzen 5800X3D, Corsair H115i, Gigabyte X570S UD, EVGA 3080Ti XC3 Ultra 12GB, 64 GB DDR4 G.Skill 3600. Monitors: LG 27GL850-B27 2560x1440 + Samsung SyncMaster 2443 1920x1200, HOTAS: Warthog with Virpil WarBRD base, MFG Crosswind combat pedals, TrackIR4, Rift-S.

Personal Wish List: A6 Intruder, Vietnam theater, decent ATC module, better VR performance!

You live up to your signature at the moment...

I know... :cry:

Ok, what axis do you bind on the Thrust/Throttle axis of these aircraft (Warthog is not the good answer... :-) )?

As a picture says more than a thousand words: see screenshot in attachment.

Also: the stick is doing weird things too, a simple nudge forward or backwards and he goes all the way, and left-right is not doing anything.

Edit:

I don't know if this could be any help, but I've added the profile I'm using in attachment.

:helpsmilie:

20200705193656_1.thumb.jpg.52edebc2f6c439f7cd386ed270d53cda.jpg

test profile a10.diff.lua

Edited by Luca Kowalski
Adding files

Setup looks OK to me so that's a worry less.

If you move your throttle, do you get a white line below the binding?

(same for your joystick axis?)

4yYyXGW.png

This means that your axis responds to your input. The movement of the line has to be smooth, correspondent to your input.

If nothing happens, or the white line is erratic, you might need to calibrate your HOTAS again.

Edited by Lange_666

Setup looks OK to me so that's a worry less.

If you move your throttle, do you get a white line below the binding?

(same for your joystick axis?)

4yYyXGW.png

This means that your axis responds to your input. The movement of the line has to be smooth, correspondent to your input.

If nothing happens, or the white line is erratic, you might need to calibrate your HOTAS again.

Everything seems fine, I just get a smooth reaction...

I calibrated both, just to be sure, to no avail... :joystick:

You didn't play around with Axis Tune X and Y saturation didn't you?

Both need to be at 100% for it to work properly.

You didn't play around with Axis Tune X and Y saturation didn't you?

Both need to be at 100% for it to work properly.

What's that?

Edit: checked it, it was set to 100%

I went as far as deleting and reinstalling the game... to my horror, all the presets were still saved.

Then I basically tried whatever and restored default settings for the throttle (the ones that didn't work to start with).

The mystery deepens:

- now the throttle jumps back and forth ingame from idle to off position, except when I move the physical throttle.

- some switches on the ingame control panel jump back and forth

- in the keybinding menu, it's like JOY_BTN26 and JOY_BTN29 are constantly giving signals

Edited by Luca Kowalski

The mystery deepens:

- now the throttle jumps back and forth ingame from idle to off position, except when I move the physical throttle.

- some switches on the ingame control panel jump back and forth

- in the keybinding menu, it's like JOY_BTN26 and JOY_BTN29 are constantly giving signals

TThat's not normal.

Button 26 is the Autopilot push button, if net held, it should register at all.

Button 29 is the Idle detent detection for the Z-axis when set to OFF.

What if you bind the slider axis (Joy_Slider_1) to the throttle?

It's weird dat you have a response in the control setup but no action in game.

Right now, I'm focusing on the A-10C, but no plane works.

Also, I didn't get further than the start-up training, as I need the throttle to fire up the engines.

Set your Warthog Throttle to the middle range, and then on the DCS home screen, choose "Instant Action" Select the A-10C on the left side, and choose "Free Flight." Do your throttles function properly when you load this mission?

I suspect this has to do with the OFF detents. The DCS system is unique and gives a lot of new users grief until they learn it.

You should never calibrate TMs Contollers like the warthog in windows. Just don't... very bad practice. If they need to be recalibrated us TM tools for that. Link should be avaiable here on the forum but do tell if you need help finding them. However sounds like you may be having some internal issues on the throttle, not unlike I had some time ago. A friend of mine who is good with electronics cleaned the circuit boards and contacts for me, and heated the soldering on the components with a hot air soldering station (to get rid of any cold solders), not sure exactly what the issue was, but it's been perfect since then. Some have reported this behavior to be related to pinch wires on the cables that go to the throttle axis HALLs, in my case it definetly wasn't pinch wires but it may have been a dirty/bad connection on the same cable(left one).

I also had ghost presses on buttons because of the throttle issue.

JOY_BTN26 is the APENG button so that's definitely a "ghost" press. JOY_BTN29 is the IDLERON so it's tied to right throttle lever position so if the axis is jumping around from off to Idle you will see it blinking on and off.

You should never calibrate TMs Contollers like the warthog in windows. Just don't... very bad practice.

I didn't, I used TM tools ;)

Update:

The throttle seems to be doing fine today, and of course... I didn't change anything.

The joystick, on the other hand, is still

- unidirectional (no roll, only pitch)

- console joystick (pushing it in a direction makes him move continuously in that direction, when centered, it just stops moving instead of going back to the center)

To whoever put that gremlin in my warthog, could you please call him off? He's annoying!

Edited by Luca Kowalski

Set your Warthog Throttle to the middle range, and then on the DCS home screen, choose "Instant Action" Select the A-10C on the left side, and choose "Free Flight." Do your throttles function properly when you load this mission?

I suspect this has to do with the OFF detents. The DCS system is unique and gives a lot of new users grief until they learn it.

What do you know?

This works!!! :D

Somehow, if you load a self-made mission, a training mission or an instant action, it uses different key bindings... this makes absolutely no sense! :doh:

No it doesn't make sense except if it would be a "forced" game or sim control setup within the mission (don't know if this is even possible), because they can be different.

What do you know?

This works!!! :D

Somehow, if you load a self-made mission, a training mission or an instant action, it uses different key bindings... this makes absolutely no sense! :doh:

No that does not sound right at all. I think randomTOTEN got the right of it. You are not moving your throttles from the OFF position to the IDLE position. that why they work when you start in flight. When doing a cold start you have to move them from OFF to IDLE. In the A-10C this should be configured for you but there is trick. In other planes you will have to set it yourself or use the keyboard shortcut or click the throttles in the cockpit.

Now the trick is if you load up the mission to do a coldstart and your throttles are already in the OFF position the game won't acknowledge them there and won't detect them moving into IDLE. So you must either enter the cockpit with the throttles mid range and then move them into OFF prior to starting your ramp procedures. Or in you enter with them in the OFF position, move them into mid range and then to OFF again, and then you are ready to start Ramp.

Also it's a good practice to move them around anyway and visually confirm they start moving accordingly to the HOTAS position.

Might be something else but from what you described so far this might be the most likely culprit.

The joystick, on the other hand, is still

- unidirectional (no roll, only pitch)

- console joystick (pushing it in a direction makes him move continuously in that direction, when centered, it just stops moving instead of going back to the center)

To whoever put that gremlin in my warthog, could you please call him off? He's annoying!

Is this with a cold dark A-10C? If so, what happens if you launch an instant action A-10C mission?

If yes for first, and everything is normal in instant action, it is because the A-10C doesn't register inputs in roll until the jet is up and running on hydraulic power.

Twitch Channel

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Virtual Thunderbirds, LLC | Sponsored by Thrustmaster

Z390 Aorus Xtreme, i9 9900k, G.SKILL TridentZ Series 32GB, 1080ti 11GB, Obutto R3Volution, Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog, TPR, Cougar MFDs, FSSB R3L, JetSeat, Oculus Rift S, Buddy-Fox A-10C UFC, F/A-18C UFC, Tek Creations F-16 ICP