Genuine Question on Case 1 visibility

Badger633

Whilst carrying out the case 1 procedures I have a genuine question.

The radio call CU at 10 I take to be CU at 10 miles.

The Case 1 visibility criteria I understand to be 5 miles visibility. So on this basis conditions on the limit would mean you would not actually see the carrier at 10 miles maybe not for another 5 miles.

So is the radio call a figure of speech i.e. "I am at 10 miles because I know I am from the TACAN" ?

Not trying to be clever would genuinely like to know as it crosses my mind every time I carry out a case 1 approach.

Thanks for any enlightenment

F/A-18C Campaigns : The Serpent’s Head / The Serpent’s Head 2

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

I9 9900K @ 5.0Ghz / Gigabyte 2080ti water force extreme / 32 Gb RAM Corsair Dominator Platinum 3600 / 2Tb Samsung 970 Evoplus NVMe M.2 / Thrustmaster Warthog Hotas / Thrustmaster Pedals / Valve Index.

At 10nm from tacan you should see the carrier.

Not if visibility is 5 miles I.e. Lower limit for Case 1

I9 9900K @ 5.0Ghz / Gigabyte 2080ti water force extreme / 32 Gb RAM Corsair Dominator Platinum 3600 / 2Tb Samsung 970 Evoplus NVMe M.2 / Thrustmaster Warthog Hotas / Thrustmaster Pedals / Valve Index.

Marshal doesn’t always say “report a see me at 10.” Often they say “report a see me” which you will then report with the distance you are at when you see the ship. Of course, that number better be at least 5, or else there will be a recommendation to transition to Case 3.

Marshal doesn’t always say “report a see me at 10.” Often they say “report a see me” which you will then report with the distance you are at when you see the ship. Of course, that number better be at least 5, or else there will be a recommendation to transition to Case 3.

Makes sense

Thanks

To clarify, even if marshal asks for a “see me” at 10, still report the see me distance at the actual DME if it’s less than 10. Don’t just blindly say it at ten if you can’t see the ship.