How am I missing wires?

kraze

Second try, just to make sure the first one wasn't just pure luck: came in from an absolutely horrible approach (the first one was perfect compared), at some point thought I will crash into the carrier... pulled throttle forward a bit at the last moment, while aiming in between the end of the deck and the furthest wire - success! And again grabbed onto the very first wire. That's 2 out of 2. (EDIT: 4 out of 4, woah)

eqH6qM4.jpg

Thanks for advice and videos guys, looks like it's not as hard as it looks after all. Will keep on practicing!

Edited by kraze

Haven't seen your track file but here are some of the things that helped me out.

Setup a simple mission in ME with only you and the carrier. Don't forget to hibe the carrier some speed, like 20 kn.

Setup everything (TCN ICLS BRC course on HSI) before takeoff.

After launch don't raise gear or flaps, establish positive climb and start turning left. Then call inbound and "see you at 10" after you get the response. If you're within 3 nm you'll automatically get a "charlie".

If your approaches are bad, land with hook up at first. You'll save some time that way. Just remember to call the tower after a bolter.

At first start with longer approaches (for me it was about 3nm from the deck) and then shorten them up as you get more confident.

When turning final and "in the groove" try to fix your errors (use ICLS for reference) as fast as possible. Problems tend to compound very quickly.

Don't follow the ICLS lines when you're within 1nm of the carrier. You'll get better results if you focus on the deck and the ball (at least I did).

Get used to moving the throttle all the time.

Trim your aircraft to on speed AOA when you're on downwind. You should be able to fly straight and level and on speed without any stick movements before turning final.

Hope some of these might help.

Good luck.

Also, stop practicing if you are getting frustrated, take a break from it. Go blow stuff up for a while and come back to landings another time.

This my golden rule also. When I fire up DCS I will do one or two straight-in traps in the instant action case 1 mission. Then I will go to the Bankler mission. When I get frustrated I will usually do one more and then move on to a 2 vs 2 mission or similar.

Happy to say that after learning how to fly on-speed AOA (which is actually quite easy, while the tutorial made it seem somehow overly complicated) I now manage to land on a carrier during the crosswind with a full load.

This video basically made a night and day difference for me

Eh I been playing the series since Flanker 2.5 and went through several A-10C campaigns till this point (not to mention more "casual" FC3), also was playing Falcon 4 / BMS for years so, eh, I got patience to learn. It's that in the case of a training mission having to start over and listening to the guy asking you to set comms, directions and hit spacebar again and again kinda takes time that I'd rather spend practicing that hardest bit.

I was just wondering if carrier landings have SOME shortcuts or do they indeed require THAT precise/by-the-book of approach - because with enough skill with airfields you can do whatever kind of twisted landing you want.

With carrier landings it seems that you need to touch the wire in a very specific way for the hook to get grabbed. And it's what always has been the toughest thing for me in any game, way since that Super Hornet sim from 1999.