Unexpected Skin Result WTF!!!

Dogman

Hi Guys

After years of avoiding it I finally decided to try and develop my skills as a "Skinner" and after churning through a number of tutorials on the subject including Cap's and Laobi's I had a crack.

I downloaded the Hornet texture off the DCS had a play around in Gimp to get the hang of it and was able to get a slippery grip on all the basic editing processes. I edited the base skin filling the background with a different colour, adding logos, text and shapes. I then converted all the files to DDS using DXTBmp set up the folder and could hardly wait to view my first creation in the air.

What greeted me was certainly not what I was expecting and you can view the result of my hours of trial and error on the link provided https://youtu.be/ryNrmmem12k. I intend to keep learning and to work out how to perfect the black art of livery making but I was hoping that there may be some Skin Sage out there who might be kind enough to look at the abomination and maybe cast a few pearls of wisdom my way to help get me there faster.

Specifically I would like to know:

>>Why the filled colour is displaying in different coloured tiles?

>>Where is the random text coming from on the wings and other parts of the plane?

>>Why has the pilot texture stuffed up because I never touched the bugger?

If I can get some help with these queries I would of course be very much appreciative.

Cheers Guys..

Edited by Dogman

Win 11, 64bit | Corsair 32GB (4x8GB) DDR4 3000MHz Vengeance | NVIDIA GeForce GTX 3080 | Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-10700KF CPU @ 3.80GHz   3.79 GHz (Not Overclocked) | TM Warthog | Saitek Combat Pedals | Track IR5

Hi Guys

Specifically I would like to know:

>>Why the filled colour is displaying in different coloured tiles?

>>Where is the random text coming from on the wings and other parts of the plane?

>>Why has the pilot texture stuffed up because I never touched the bugger?

If I can get some help with these queries I would of course be very much appreciative.

Cheers Guys..

It looks like your description.lua file was not set up correctly. My advice would be to take the description file from an existing livery and adapt the code to match whatever you have named your files, when I was starting out this was the easiest way for me to make sure my description code was correct :thumbup:

EDIT: To be more specific, it looks like the roughmet texture (which controls texture properties like reflectivity and roughness) is not being loaded as it should, and the game instead uses the missing texture which is what causes the tiles and text. The pilot texture also appears to be not loaded correctly.

Edited by _mu110_