MRGS grid coordinates on a GBU bombing run

sobe

I recently did a GBU bombing mission and the JTAC gave me coordinates in MRGS which I understand cannot be imputed in the F18 UFC at the present time. Why did the mission planner use MRGS? I went into the ME and got the L/L for the targets instead, but is this the only way?

Trackir4 using the latest Trackir 5 software, Win10 Pro [Creator Update] updated from Win7Pro Pro 64Bit, Intel® Core™ i5-2500 3.30 GHz 6M Intel Smart Cache LGA115 , GigaByte GA-Z68XP-UD4 Intel Z68 Chipset DDR3 16GB Ram, GTX MSI Gaming 1060 [6 GB] Video Card, Main Monitor 1 on left 1920x1080 Touchscreen Monitor 2 on right 1920x1080 .

I recently did a GBU bombing mission and the JTAC gave me coordinates in MRGS which I understand cannot be imputed in the F18 UFC at the present time. Why did the mission planner use MRGS? I went into the ME and got the L/L for the targets instead, but is this the only way?

Afaik it is somewhat hardcoded in the DCS basis install which type or coordinates are used for which country? coalition? aircraft? At least the mission maker has no say in that, though.

You can try use this calc

http://legallandconverter.com/p50.html

303 & Friends discord

Hangar :

JF-17 Thunder, F-16C Viper, I-16, Christen Eagle II, F-14 Tomcat, Supercarrier, WWII Assets Pack, F/A-18C Hornet, AJS-37 Viggen, Spitfire LF Mk. IX, F-5E Tiger II, M-2000C, MiG-15bis, Bf 109 K-4 Kurfürst, Fw 190 D-9 Dora, F-86F Sabre, Flaming Cliffs 3, P-51D Mustang, A-10C Warthog,SA342 Gazelle, UH-1H Huey, Mi-8MTV2 Magnificent Eight, Black Shark II, Persian Gulf Map, Normandy 1944 Map,

Install this mod. It'll give you the right coordinates

https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/files/3301138/

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Aurora R7 || i7K 8700K || 2TB 7200RPM SATA 6Gb/s || 2TB M.2 PCIe x4 SSD || GTX 1080 Ti with 11GB GDDR5X || Windows 10 Pro || 32GB Dual Channel DDR4 at 2667MHz || Virpil Warbird Base || Virpil T-50 Stick || Virpil MT-50 Throttle || Thrustmaster TPR Pedals || Oculus Rift

Works like a champ for the Hornet, too.

Key thing to remember is that it isn't giving you numbers for direct entry into the Hornet's UFC. It's giving Degrees.Minutes.DecimalMinutes vice the Degrees.Minutes.Seconds you need to enter in the Hornet UFC.

For example, if JTAC says my target is at N25.40.28 E057.49.29, I would enter N25.40.15, E57.49.16.

That said...with laser guidance, all you need to do is get the bomb in the ballpark, and the Paveway package does the rest. I did three passes for three hits with the target info entered exactly as the JTAC passed it.

Very Respectfully,

Kurt "Yoda" Kalbfleisch

London

"In my private manual I firmly believed the only time there was too much fuel aboard any aircraft was if it was fire." --Ernest K. Gann

I stand corrected. It's the other way around. The point is that when you enter the info as provided by the JTAC, what appears on the data page is not the same digits entered, and a conversion is necessary.

Very Respectfully,

Kurt "Yoda" Kalbfleisch

London

"In my private manual I firmly believed the only time there was too much fuel aboard any aircraft was if it was fire." --Ernest K. Gann

Hope, once it is finished we'll be able to select coordinate formate like in the A10. On the other hand, if you got the grades and minutes then you are quite close to where you want to be. Converting the Seconds into the tens fraction of the minute well how precise do you really need that? Imho a rough fast circa calculation is enough... 30'' -> .5

45'' -> .7 and 15" like .2

Way point - not TGT for precision bombing of course, you get what I want to say..

I have the impression that a JTAC will be able to transmit MGRS but we won't be able to enter MGRS, but based on the MIDS pages that have been shown so far (a.k.a. an assumption, not fact).

It seems like for manual entry of precise coordinates we need to be able to enter a position in DMS (no decimals) and then an offset with a direction and distance (which didn't work the last time I tried it), also useful for navigating from bulls.

Other online coordinate conversion: http://www.earthpoint.us/Convert.aspx

The legallandconverter.com one seems a bit nicer.

NGA software: http://earth-info.nga.mil/GandG/update/index.php

Includes and Android APK on the page. Haven't experimented with this but it seems to have enough features for "free." Maybe too many.

I thought this was functional. NATOPs says you can enter grid coordinates? Could’ve sworn there is a Grid option.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Win 10, AMD FX9590/water cooled, 32GB RAM, 250GB SSD system, 1TB SSD (DCS installed), 2TB HD, Warthog HOTAS, MFG rudders, Track IR 5, LG Ultrawide, Logitech Speakers w/sub, Fans, Case, cell phone, wallet, keys.....printer

Ah bummer. Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Win 10, AMD FX9590/water cooled, 32GB RAM, 250GB SSD system, 1TB SSD (DCS installed), 2TB HD, Warthog HOTAS, MFG rudders, Track IR 5, LG Ultrawide, Logitech Speakers w/sub, Fans, Case, cell phone, wallet, keys.....printer

The mod works great on the NTTR...

But no joy on the caucasus map.

The coordinates given by the JTAC seem to be way of target. Several 100 to 1000 miles

Cant wait for the option to enter MGRS coordinates into the bug.

and the target pod of Course. We really really Need those, ED!

NZXT H400i case

i9 9900k @ 4,9GHz (cooled by NZXT Kraken X62 4x140Fan - Push/Pull)

Asus RoG Maximus XI Gene with 32GB G.Skill CL14

Samsung M.2 970Pro 1000GB

ZOTAC RTX 2080ti Triple Fan 11GB

34" RoG Swift Curved TFT

runs smooth like Beck's Gold :D

HTC VIVE pro eYe (still freaking out!)

Thrust Master HOTAS Warthog on MONSTERTECH table mounts

15cm Stick Extension + red spring by SAHAJ 8 (<-- love them)

(TM F-18C ordered)

TPR (Thrustmaster Pendular Rudder)

T.Flight USAF Headset

The mod works great on the NTTR...

But no joy on the caucasus map.

The coordinates given by the JTAC seem to be way of target. Several 100 to 1000 miles

Cant wait for the option to enter MGRS coordinates into the bug.

and the target pod of Course. We really really Need those, ED!

MY FAULT!

JTAC's Latitude coordinates start with a "Zero" --> Dont't hack it into the UFC! :music_whistling:

NZXT H400i case

i9 9900k @ 4,9GHz (cooled by NZXT Kraken X62 4x140Fan - Push/Pull)

Asus RoG Maximus XI Gene with 32GB G.Skill CL14

Samsung M.2 970Pro 1000GB

ZOTAC RTX 2080ti Triple Fan 11GB

34" RoG Swift Curved TFT

runs smooth like Beck's Gold :D

HTC VIVE pro eYe (still freaking out!)

Thrust Master HOTAS Warthog on MONSTERTECH table mounts

15cm Stick Extension + red spring by SAHAJ 8 (<-- love them)

(TM F-18C ordered)

TPR (Thrustmaster Pendular Rudder)

T.Flight USAF Headset