Whoop whoop whoop ...

Hueyman

Wow, the sound in that video was amazing!! I watched it two times now. One more movie to make the time pass:D

Ive watched the dcs videos alot as well, and i dont think the sound is better or worse in any of them. I think that what kind of camera were used and maybe the altitude and loand may have impacts on the whoop whoop sounds.

But then again, your the hueyman, not me ! :D

Edit: of course i can hear differences between the two, but i really like the Dcs sound as well, tho having the sounds from that movie in there would be awesome!

Edited by mnrty

Sure a rotor sounds are generated from so many factors... blade AoA, aircraft speed, density, temperature, pressure, global atmosphere, wind going through rotor disc etc etc...

But basically, there is a common sound everyone can recognize, like in this amazing video ;-)

I'm sure we'll have to hear the actual sounds on the game to make opinions, but that sounded strange on the video. Don't know if they recorded real sounds on a real one ( I wondered the one in the UK, the " G-HUEY " ) or if they created sounds with some Computer Assisted Music synthesizers...

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

CPL(A)IR ME/SEP/MEP/SET - CPL(H)

Hmm. I know inread somewhere that they have used actual sound recordings from the real thing, but i can remember where i read that at the top of my head.

And to be honest, if they slightly exaggerated the whoop whoop, i for one wouldnt mind a bit !

I know that some cockpit sounds are recorded from the real thing. Solenoids, gyros, inverters, ect. I would bet that engine and blade sounds were also recorded. Then remastered and made useable for game sounds.

A blade will never make the same chop sound irl. The hueys weight, atmosphere conditions, power settings, and your perspective will change how it sounds. Sounds is a tricky thing to simulate. As a person who works around helicopters, I will tell you that I think the sounds are very good.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

if you read the credits at the end of the manual it appears they had someone actually record the huey sounds live..

probably pretty authentic then.

ASUS Tuf Gaming Pro x570 / AMD Ryzen 7 5800X @ 3.8 / XFX Radeon 6900 XT / 64 GB DDR4 3200 

"This was not in the Manual I did not read", cried the Noob" - BMBM, WWIIOL

Get a 7.1 soundcard and speakers, crank the volume dial all the way clockwise, report back :D

Thermaltake View 91, Z390 Gigabyte Aorus Ultra, i9 9900K, Corsair H150i Pro, 32Gb Trident Z 3200, Gigabyte Aorus Extreme 2080ti, Corsair AX1200i, Warthog A-10 Hotas, MFG Crosswind pedals, TiR5 Pro, HP Reverb Pro

Get a 7.1 soundcard and speakers, crank the volume dial all the way clockwise, report back :D

Deafinitely :lol:

DCS Wish: Turbulences affecting surrounding aircraft...

[sIGPIC] [/sIGPIC]

Gigabyte GA-Z170-HD3P - Intel Core i5 6600K - 16Gb RAM DDR4-2133 - Gigabyte GeForce GTX 1080 G1 Gaming - 8 Go - 2 x SSD Crucial MX300 - 750 Go RAID0 - Screens: HP OMEN 32'' 2560x1440 + Oculus Rift CV1 - Win 10 - 64bits - TM WARTHOG #889 - Saitek Pro Rudder.

I think most people would be surprised to know that the tail rotor is way louder than the main rotor on the ground close up. The higher pitch comes out like a buzzing sound. The lower pitch whoop from the main, I think carries further so is heard from a good distance away. The "buzz" will fade at that distance. During takeoffs and landings, you get a clean chop chop sound as the main grabs air.

All of these sound dynamics feel well simulated in the product. 7.1 users will be happy. I wish I had a but kicker.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Now, I have 7.1 surround headphones but I'm using the 7.1 audio chip on my motherboard. Slightly off topic, but will putting in a card make that much difference?

Ill report back on the ButtKicker Krebs, now that will show how well programmed the sound is. :) can't wait to feel the Huey.

Cowboy10uk

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Fighter pilots make movies, Attack pilots make history, Helicopter pilots make heros.

:pilotfly: Corsair 570x Crystal Case, Intel 8700K O/clocked to 4.8ghz, 32GB Vengeance RGB Pro DDR4 3200 MHZ Ram, 2 x 1TB M2 drives, 2 x 4TB Hard Drives, Nvidia EVGA GTX 1080ti FTW, Maximus x Hero MB, H150i Cooler, 6 x Corsair LL120 RGB Fans And a bloody awful Pilot :doh:

Wow, you really are desperate :D

:megalol: damn, does it show. :) ok I asked for that.

Cowboy10uk

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Fighter pilots make movies, Attack pilots make history, Helicopter pilots make heros.

:pilotfly: Corsair 570x Crystal Case, Intel 8700K O/clocked to 4.8ghz, 32GB Vengeance RGB Pro DDR4 3200 MHZ Ram, 2 x 1TB M2 drives, 2 x 4TB Hard Drives, Nvidia EVGA GTX 1080ti FTW, Maximus x Hero MB, H150i Cooler, 6 x Corsair LL120 RGB Fans And a bloody awful Pilot :doh:

Cowboy, depends on the mobo chip really, but no mobo chip will match a dedicated soundcard, especially one with an amp with power to drive the speakers it's connected to. You need to marry the card with the speakers as such.

I remember years ago in IL2 Sturmo days, a dedicated soundcard and speakers made a world of difference to running off the std 2 little pc speakers most pc's came with, lots more depth and range in the sound.

just my opinion.

Thermaltake View 91, Z390 Gigabyte Aorus Ultra, i9 9900K, Corsair H150i Pro, 32Gb Trident Z 3200, Gigabyte Aorus Extreme 2080ti, Corsair AX1200i, Warthog A-10 Hotas, MFG Crosswind pedals, TiR5 Pro, HP Reverb Pro

Now, I have 7.1 surround headphones but I'm using the 7.1 audio chip on my motherboard. Slightly off topic, but will putting in a card make that much difference?

Ill report back on the ButtKicker Krebs, now that will show how well programmed the sound is. :) can't wait to feel the Huey.

Cowboy10uk

yes it makes a huge difference; not only does it free up CPU cycles, Free's up ram, it give you more rich sound:thumbup:

you know that annoying stutter in the sound when you play heavy GPU and CPU side games that's sound and gaming data fighting to get through the bottle neck...

" any failure you meet, is never a defeat; merely a set up for a greater come back, "  W Forbes

"Success is not final, failure is not fatal, it is the courage to continue that counts,"  Winston Churchill

" He who never changes his mind, never changes anything," 

MSI z690MPG DDR4 || i914900k|| ddr4-64gb PC3200 || MSI RTX 4070Ti|Game1300w|Win10x64| |turtle beach elite pro 5.1|| ViRpiL,T50cm2|| MFG Crosswinds|| VT50CM-plus rotor Throttle || G10 RGB EVGA Keyboard/MouseLogitech || PiMax Crystal VR || 32 Samsung||

I'm sure ED did good job about Huey's sounds. I know they took the sounds with professional equipments that some friends have already told firts page.

And I know that most of sounds in those videos may not be exact sound - because of non-professional quality of the microphone of camera, etc...

But after those words, I'm excited to make sound mods for Huey by gathering sounds from "these" videos. :D

Intel i7-14700@5.6GHz | MSI RTX4080 Super SuprimX | Corsair V. 32GB@6400MHz. | Samsung 1TB 990 PRO SSD (Win10Homex64)
Samsung G5 32" + Samsung 18" + 2x8"TFT Displays | Saitek X-55 Rhino & Rudder | TM MFD Cougars | Logitech G13, G230, G510, PZ55 & Farming Sim Panel | TIR5
>>MY MODS<< | Discord: Devrim#1068

I've not heard anything that sounds like the UH-1s I have heard - some of them come close, but it just depends on which direction the helicopter is from you, how close, it's altitude, speed etc etc. There are so many differences and they can be absolutely huge with this aircraft.

For example - I'd seen many flying around in the 70's (in West Germany) and they sounded pretty much like they do in places on some of the videos. But one sound I have never heard on a video was what I would hear when one was approaching me directly overhead, at a couple of hundred feet. An incredible whup-whup sound that was like nothing I had heard before or have heard since. It sounded like someone was trying to beat the atmosphere on your head about twice a second - absolutely awesome.

The first time I experienced that, I was really wondering what the hell was happening. I thought it was an aircraft, but as it was like nothing I had ever heard before, I wasn't sure. I was surrounded by trees and there was this massive whup-whup at incredible volume, getting louder and louder.

Finally, a white and green Bundes Polizei Iroquios (as I called it then) came from behind the trees at low speed & altitude - and the funny thing was that once it was directly overhead, it was really quiet - just a slight mechanical whistling type of sound - and as it receded towards the airfield, it sounded just like any other helicopter of the time, with just the occasional louder whup (but not as loud as when it was approaching). Amazing.

Edit - I just played the OP video linked to and it does sound similar at times. Not heard it sound as similar in any of the DCS vids I've seen thus far.

Edited by Noj

Yeah yeah yeah ... I know sound is something very complex, as I stated before, and you too guys, many many factors are coming into the equation...

But from the simplest point of view, I didn't heard anything really convincing from the DCS videos I've seen so far, especially in the cockpit.

For example, let's compare the sound in the " Autorotation " Huey Belsimtek Video and this http://www.sounddogs.com/sound-effects/25/mp3/312523_SOUNDDOGS__he.mp3

You clearly hear the rotor sound is more present than the turbine. Not in our incoming simulation. We also can hear one blade seems to be louder than the other one, because it's behind the " wake " of the previous blade etc etc...

If you want to get nice sound samples of real Huey's >>> http://www.sounddogs.com/searchresults.asp?Keyword=Huey

Yeah low quality, but good enough to feel that bird.

@Noj : what you are saying is certainly true as Germans didn't have Huey's... I mean, Dornier licensed made UH-1D with... much wider chord main blades ! : http://cdn-www.airliners.net/aviation-photos/middle/8/1/0/1950018.jpg this explaining that sound.

Hueyman

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

>>> http://www.flugzeuginfo.net/acdata_php/acdata_205_en.php

" Remarks

The Bell 205 is a stretched development of the Bell 204. The Bell 205 was license-built in Italy by Agusta(Agusta-Bell 205 & 205A-1) and Japan by Fuji Heavy Industries (Fuji-Bell 205A-1). 352 Bell UH-1D have been assembled by Dornier for the German Forces (Bundeswehr). "

So, no, it's not " genuine " North American built Huey's, and those Dornier German ones got wider blades.

Then, the sound link I gave isn't 100% accurate as it's the Bell 212, with two Pratt & Whitney PT6 free turbines instead of the single Honeywell T-53. But the rotor system remain almost the same.

Anyway, we can't get agree or disagree on sound before they release it ;-) And for people who are looking for more " natural " sounds ( at least, compared to what I heard until now ) I'm sure there will be several other soundpacks, like the KA-50 had.

Hueyman

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

• 2 weeks later...
I am wondering what everyone's impression of the sound now that it has been released? Any comments?

I just have std 2.1 sound but to me its really nice. Pump up the volume and let the woofer work that whoop whoop whoop :thumbup:

Have a new Xonar STX soundcard (not installed), just waiting for my Senneheiser headsets to arrive then I am going to crank it properly :)