New VR Pointing Device - Page 45 - ED Forums

Notices

Old 02-17-2019, 04:39 PM   #441
hansangb
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by falken76 View Post
Why would you want this if you already have Touch Controllers on the Rift? Is it because it's convenient since it's on a ring finger so you don't have to grab an entire controller? It seems like it would be easier to use since most people are going to play this game with a Hotas and if it's on a ring finger you wouldn't have to try and grab an entire controller. Is mouse pointing an issue in VR? I thought it was fine with touch and the pointer system. Either way I think you are making an incredibly cool peripheral, I personally can't justify the cost because the only place I might actually use it is in this game and my existing controllers can probably already do what your device does...

So you can maintain your hand on the HOTAS and natively use the mouse. Yes, touch controllers can do it too, but I don't want to let go of my throttle just to use the mouse.
Spoiler:
i7-8700K Delid/OC'ed to 5.1GHz, EVGA Z370 MB, 32GB DDR4 3200MHz, EVGA 2080 Ti FTW3, NVMe+SSD, Win 10 x64 Pro, MFG, JetSeat, Warthog, TM MFDs, Komodo Huey set, CV1
hansangb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2019, 07:53 PM   #442
joca133

Quote:
Why would you want this if you already have Touch Controllers on the Rift? Is it because it's convenient since it's on a ring finger so you don't have to grab an entire controller? It seems like it would be easier to use since most people are going to play this game with a Hotas and if it's on a ring finger you wouldn't have to try and grab an entire controller. Is mouse pointing an issue in VR? I thought it was fine with touch and the pointer system. Either way I think you are making an incredibly cool peripheral, I personally can't justify the cost because the only place I might actually use it is in this game and my existing controllers can probably already do what your device does...
What hansangb said. The touch controller is useless when using a hotas, and the regular mouse difficult, requiring a table next to me and not immersive. I think its a brilliant solution and I am eager to see the test results and reviews. I am on a very tight budget with so many things going wrong in my life this year, so I am waiting to see if it works well before buying. But it is a very good proposal and cheaper/simpler than a captoglove.
joca133 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2019, 08:09 PM   #443
dburne
Veteran

I have no problem at all using my HOTAS buttons assigned to mouse functions in the UI Layer.

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | EVGA RTX 2080 Ti FTW3 Ultra | 32 GB G Skill Trident Z 3200 MHz CL14 DDR4 Ram | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler | EVGA T2 Titanium 1000w PS | Samsung 970 Pro 1TB m.2 Nvme | Samsung 970 Evo 1TB m.2 Nvme | Samsung 860 Evo 1TB SATA SSD | EVGA DG 87 Case |
dburne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2019, 10:25 PM   #444
Deano87

Quote:
I personally find finding and picking up a touch controlled a real pain, way too slow and really takes me out of the moment and gets int the way of interfacing with the aircraft. the mouse is my preferred option, and this is like having a mouse pointer ON your finger. You point at what you want to select and click. You can swap from doing something with the left hand to doing something with the right hand instantly without picking up and putting down a controller. It’s should be a much more seamless experience.

DCS F-16C REALLY IS A THING! - BLOCK 50 BABY!!!

My Screenshots - Excited About = PointCTRL VR
Deano87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2019, 10:28 PM   #445
Deano87

Quote:
Originally Posted by MilesD View Post
A new feature is moving the FCU closer to the HMS zooms in. It is one of the few things that seemed kinda cool. You can set how close the FCU has to be to zoom in and then how far it has to be to zoom back out, 2 different parameters to make it more user friendly.

Miles
Sounds interesting Miles! I presume that’s done that by when the FCU gets to within a certain distance the base station essentially activates a virtual button and the end user would assign that to VR zoom in the UI Layer options?

Old 02-18-2019, 12:08 AM   #446
MilesD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deano87 View Post
Sounds interesting Miles! I presume that’s done that by when the FCU gets to within a certain distance the base station essentially activates a virtual button and the end user would assign that to VR zoom in the UI Layer options?
Thats exactly how it works Deano, Right now its default RCTRL+KP5, Its not a toggle, it only stays zoomed in when you hand gets close and returns to normal view when you move it away. Right now I am coding to reduce the finger movement to cursor movement ratio when in the zoomed view mode. It was jumpy when zoomed in. These are the countless little things that seem to be taking me forever to finish.

I also moved the calibration button functions to the FCU. You enter the mode with a long hold on the right button on the HMS and calibrate the cursor with the FCU buttons. Its much easier to calibrate this way.

Also did some testing with Prepar3d. Works well, but I just don't like the mouse implementation as much as DCS.

As far as individual UI preferences go, ie Mouse, VR hands, ect, PointCTRL is just another option, some may like it, others may not. Its really just a stop gap until higher tech solutions become practical for us.

Miles
MilesD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2019, 01:20 AM   #447
Deano87

Awesome Miles, can’t wait!

Still throwing money at my computer!

Tags
vr clickable cockpit, vr controller, vr gloves, vr mouse, vr tracking