GTX 2080 Ti's and VR Max - Page 26 - ED Forums

Notices

Old 01-21-2019, 07:58 PM   #251
hansangb
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by GKOver View Post
What do you mean with "it doesn't"?

Of course I know that, I have also switched that on in MSI Afterburner.

If it wouldn't be the CPU..... why I am getting only 50% of the performance if I am reducing the CPU-clock to the half:
Measured with the GPU-orientated track-file of Macka:
I have already done a comparison in the last week. I have reduced the CPU-clock by decreasing the multiplicator from 45 to 22 (=2200 MHz). This decreased the performance from 110 to 57 FPS. (And overclocking the GPU for around 8% succeeded only with around 2%..)

It doesn't was the answer to your last question: "DCS seems to still not use all available cores….." And just so I'm clear, you're stating that reducing the CPU by 50% resulted in a 50% decrease in performance. But when you increased the clock speed by 8%, DCS only improved by 2% (measured in FPS). Is that right?
Spoiler:
i7-8700K Delid/OC'ed to 5.1GHz, EVGA Z370 MB, 32GB DDR4 3200MHz, EVGA 2080 Ti FTW3, NVMe+SSD, Win 10 x64 Pro, MFG, JetSeat, Warthog, TM MFDs, Komodo Huey set, CV1

Last edited by hansangb; 01-21-2019 at 08:03 PM.
hansangb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2019, 08:14 PM   #252
GKOver

In this little special test, I have decreased my CPU clock and in a following test I have increased the clock of my GPU for 8%....

I am sure: the GPU is not the problem/bottleneck with my desktop system and a "normal" test track. Of course with my notebook system it is quite different...

Last edited by GKOver; 01-21-2019 at 08:19 PM.
GKOver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2019, 12:43 AM   #253
FragBum

Quote:
Originally Posted by GKOver View Post
What do you mean with "it doesn't"?

Of course I know that, I have also switched that on in MSI Afterburner.

If it wouldn't be the CPU..... why I am getting only 50% of the performance if I am reducing the CPU-clock to the half:
Measured with the GPU-orientated track-file of Macka:
I have already done a comparison in the last week. I have reduced the CPU-clock by decreasing the multiplicator from 45 to 22 (=2200 MHz). This decreased the performance from 110 to 57 FPS. (And overclocking the GPU for around 8% succeeded only with around 2%..)
I think you will find DCS basic frame rendering is very much a CPU function which is kinda reflected in your test. The GPU can improve overall system efficiency and that seems to be reflected in the FPS change vs GPU OC, but over all if a frame is not completed in 11.1MS the program falls back to 22.2 (45Hz). Rather smoothly now I might add.

Another observation is within the DCS software there seems to be a number of performance loop evaluations done and based on results processing is switched.

For instance observing just task manager and CPU will ramp up as DCS switches to 90FPS with a corresponding increase in GPU usage CPU usage which does not appear to be a linear step.

e.g. NTTR (DCS/Tot) and the actual usage and how it changes is very much map, model and settings dependent. For example increasing some settings increases the CPU but may reduce the GPU usage, presumably CPU frame data is not complete when handed over??

sitting on tarmac Mi-8
CPU 23/27% GPU 40% 45FPS

Flying down the Las Vegas Boulevard Mi-8
CPU 28/31% GPU 90% 90FPS

delta CPU 21% GPU 225%

The most I have seen DCS use is 32ish%/37% and the usage for DCS includes a reference to oculus overlay usage. just expand DCS process out to see whats being used.

Whilst multiple core usage is shown under Task Manager I think that is more to do with the way Windows slices and dices tasks as well as other functions. I did notice an increase of CPU and core usage under DCS especially since 2.5.4 update but officially from ED no change.

No doubt about Your Milage WILL Vary.
FragBum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2019, 11:16 PM   #254
DigitalEngine

Quote:
Originally Posted by AureliusAugustus View Post
I had time to fool with a possible SLI patch and I will probably release to a few guys here in the next week or two who have two cards. I am monitoring the thread about once a week, so if you have questions PM me.
AureliusAugustus,
are you still working on this mod?
If so, please let me know. I'll install a second 980ti in my machine and give it a go. I have some extra time this month is seems!

Thanks!
GPU = Zotac GTX980ti Amp Extreme
Hard-drive = Samsung V-NAD SSD 950 PRO M.2
Cooling = Corsair H100i V2 water cooler, plus RAM mounted fans.

Corsair Vengeance® C70 Mid-Tower Gaming Case — Military Green
OS = Windows 10 64bit
Power supply = EVGA 1200P2
HTC Vive
DigitalEngines's Twitch Channel, Youtube Channel
DigitalEngine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2019, 08:58 PM   #255
Max_Factor

Ditto, I have 2 1080Ti's