Oculus Rift and DCS World Discussion

tobaschi

Oculus Rift and DCS World Discussion  

437 members have voted

1. 1. Oculus Rift and DCS World Discussion

• 599$ did not faze you, and YOU PRE-ORDER IT!
    • 599$ puts me into bankrupcy - I will not spend that kind of money - WILL NOT BUY
    • on the fence, will BUY LATER (at retail launch)

It's going to be tough to wait for release! I've been holding off on TrackIR, because I figure it will give me bad habits that I'll have to break once I have an Oculus...

I wouldn't count on CV1 to be good enough to really use for combat. Many of us have gone back and forth between using the TIR and a DK2, it's a seamless transistion.

Intel 9600K@4.9GHz, Asus Z390, 32GB DDR4, EVGA RTX 3070, Custom Water Cooling, 970 EVO 1TB NVMe

34" UltraWide 3440x1440 Curved Monitor, 21" Touch Screen MFD monitor, TIR5

My Pit Build, VKB Gunfighter Pro w/WH Grip, TMWH Throttle, MFG Crosswinds W/Combat Pedals, Cougar MFDs, Custom A-10C panels, Custom Helo Collective, SimShaker with Transducer

• Replies 6.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I wouldn't count on CV1 to be good enough to really use for combat. Many of us have gone back and forth between using the TIR and a DK2, it's a seamless transistion.

CV1 has no ghosting or visible pixels according to users that have tested them...

Windows 10 Pro, Ryzen 2700X @ 4.6Ghz, 32GB DDR4-3200 GSkill (F4-3200C16D-16GTZR x2),

ASRock X470 Taichi Ultimate, XFX RX6800XT Merc 310 (RX-68XTALFD9)

3x ASUS VS248HP + Oculus HMD, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS + MFDs

Dear lord another one the dk2 is very usable in combat in dcs world and will be even more capable in dcs 2.0. Check your settings your doing it wrong! The cv1 will be a much better product and if Ed incorporates down sampling or dsr I dcs 2.0 for the rift it will be even better.

I7 4770k @ 4.6, sli 980 evga oc edition, ssdx2, Sony 55 inch edid hack nvidia 3dvision. Volair sim pit, DK2 Oculus Rift.

Dear lord another one the dk2 is very usable in combat in dcs world and will be even more capable in dcs 2.0. Check your settings your doing it wrong! The cv1 will be a much better product and if Ed incorporates down sampling or dsr I dcs 2.0 for the rift it will be even better.
Regardless any other consideration, the resolution isn't enough for flight simulators. That doesn't mean that people like you and me will no longer fly with monitors or projectors once the CV1 is out.

It's up to each one, this is just a trivial hobby.

Yep, you're right, we're all doing it wrong, you seem to be the only one who know's what he's doing :thumbup:

The resolution isn't good enough, period.

Intel 9600K@4.9GHz, Asus Z390, 32GB DDR4, EVGA RTX 3070, Custom Water Cooling, 970 EVO 1TB NVMe

34" UltraWide 3440x1440 Curved Monitor, 21" Touch Screen MFD monitor, TIR5

My Pit Build, VKB Gunfighter Pro w/WH Grip, TMWH Throttle, MFG Crosswinds W/Combat Pedals, Cougar MFDs, Custom A-10C panels, Custom Helo Collective, SimShaker with Transducer

The man said "usable" and I agree with him. It's not perfect, but the experience of VR is worth it. It's all in the eye of the beholder.

One man's HD is garbage compared to another man's 4K! :)

hsb

hsb

HW Spec in Spoiler

---

i7-10700K Direct-To-Die/OC'ed to 5.1GHz, MSI Z490 MB, 32GB DDR4 3200MHz, EVGA 2080 Ti FTW3, NVMe+SSD, Win 10 x64 Pro, MFG, Warthog, TM MFDs, Komodo Huey set, Rverbe G1

I would agree that the DK2 isn't good enough, but it still remains to be seen if the CV1 is good enough. The CV1 uses a completely different display resolution, different display characteristics/specs, and different lenses. Not to mention a physical IPD adjustment which should make a huge difference for some of us. No point in stating one way or another until we hear and see more info from Oculus, DCS, etc.

11Screen door effect doesn't seem to be an issue with either the Vive or Rift in the latest iterations. The resolution could still be a problem. The Rift headset strap systems slides forward and back to allow for eyeglasses, and also has different inserts to allow for different facial structures. The Rift and Vive units also have physical IPD adjustments. http://uploadvr.com/oculus-rift-shipping-with-multiple-facial-interfaces/?hvid=4LTNJo

I like the new Rift inputs, with the pistol grip form factor, that allows finger dexterity to simulate handling objects, and signalling, etc in a shooter sim.

I wonder if some sort of quick connect docking system could be developed so the dual inputs could be used as a Stick/throttle in a clickable cockpit environment. It wouldn't be that hard to make, but not sure if the wireless, and tracking will match the precision of a hardwired Hotas system.

It looks like the Vive and Rift headsets/inputs will be similarly functional, so it might come down to content and price.

It still looks like the Rift will be cheaper especially for combat flight simmers who won't need inputs. The first CV1 will be bundled with a free Xbox controller that we won't need. If we want the new controllers I assume they might be priced separately as they won't be available for a couple months after the CV1's initial release. The Xbox controller was bundled with the Rift because third parties have been developing for Rift for a couple of years with these types of controllers. It also gives Oculus access to the Console market, and gives Microsoft access to the VR market, another win/win.

Personally I don't care what the price is as I will buy the one that best suits my needs. So at the moment it comes down to content for me, and that still appears to be the Rift with DCS support.

Much more info to come at E3 to help us make a better decision. I would imagine Vive will have to give us more details soon if they still plan for a release this year.

Edited by Chivas

Been reading a bit about the Vive recently. One thing I noticed was that Valve is thoughtfully positioning their demos and future development around the concept of room size environments.

Only having to resolve detail on objects within a room is going to be something these HMD devices really hit out of the park. Right now roomsize is the sweet spot and everyone who has tried Valves demos has found the content fairly compelling.

It is my own opinion that you will be able to use one of the first gen HMD's for dog fighting, but it won't be an ideal use of the hardware.

Dogfighting aside are there other opportunities for presenting content inside flightsims that doesn't require the resolution that dogfighting does. Think roomsize.

You can use the dk2 for dog fighting and successful ground attack currently. It will be more enhanced in dcs 2.0. So ya the first cv1 series will be easily usable in all type of combat sorties. Depends on the user and knowledge of the equipment and the ability to adapt and not cry about pixels. One thing is I have superior vision, and the years and continue use of utilizing high powered optics I'm one off those people who don't stare or notice the smudge on glass but is focused on what the actual image is. In the rift and I guarantee in the new cv1 class too if you sit their and focus on the dam pixels of course you will see them. Need to learn to get your focal point on the image not on the pixels. We've been doing that for years with our night vision.

Do I wish for higher res of course, but currently with the dk2 and I'm assuming the cv1 will be better as I have yet to try it will be an improvement but I'm pretty positive most people will whine and ask for more res or say it's useless for dcs world which it is not.

Edited by rcjonessnp175

I7 4770k @ 4.6, sli 980 evga oc edition, ssdx2, Sony 55 inch edid hack nvidia 3dvision. Volair sim pit, DK2 Oculus Rift.

Yep that infiniteye thingy looks good!

Hi Rez and peripheral vision too. If it can be made, then that's my huckleberry.

HP G2 Reverb, Windows 10 VR settings: IPD is 64.5mm, High image quality, G2 reset to 60Hz refresh rate as standard. OpenXR user, Open XR tool kit disabled. Open XR was a massive upgrade for me.

DCS: Pixel Density 1.0, Forced IPD at 55 (perceived world size), 0 X MSAA, 0 X SSAA. My real IPD is 64.5mm. Prescription VROptition lenses installed. VR Driver system: I9-9900KS 5Ghz CPU. XI Hero motherboard and RTX 3090 graphics card, 64 gigs Ram, No OC at the mo. MT user  (2 - 5 fps gain). DCS run at 60Hz.

Vaicom user. Thrustmaster warthog user. MFG pedals with damper upgrade.... and what an upgrade! Total controls Apache MPDs set to virtual Reality height with brail enhancements to ensure 100% button activation in VR.. Simshaker Jet Pro vibration seat.. Uses data from DCS not sound.... you know when you are dropping into VRS with this bad boy.

in contrast to resolution, the most important value, dpi, is not really higher with starvr than the others. So we are still a long way from the 4k @100 degrees that some say is what is needed to see details well enough at a distance.

The problem is that it will cost gpu performance to render the perifial view, which you cannot see with any focus anyhow. 5k will probably take a 980 ti or two to get it running steady at +90 fps.

One solution that has been discussed with other vr sets (FOVE) , might be to have eyetracking, and only render the bits you focus on with highest resolution, mimicing the way we actually see things.

I'm loking forward to see some reviews on starvr soon. I think it's a step in the right direction for sure.

I'm not so sure that a 980Ti would drive a 210* 5K displays, in a complex combat flight sim. It will be interesting to see the system spec sdriving that monster at E3. Although if I remember correctly one of their earlier prototypes had an onboard cpu/gpu, that might be difficult to sync with the desktop cpu/gpu.

Oh man, 210° FoV and 130° Vertical FoV would be what's needed to truly give that natural vision... I so want one!

that would max out my credit card.. lol.

Windows 10 Pro, Ryzen 2700X @ 4.6Ghz, 32GB DDR4-3200 GSkill (F4-3200C16D-16GTZR x2),

I'm not so sure that a 980Ti would drive a 210* 5K displays, in a complex combat flight sim. It will be interesting to see the system spec sdriving that monster at E3. Although if I remember correctly one of their earlier prototypes had an onboard cpu/gpu, that might be difficult to sync with the desktop cpu/gpu.

One for Each Eye + an Extra,

3-Way SLI

22 million pixels!

Derek "BoxxMann" Speare

derekspearedesigns.com 25,000+ Gaming Enthusiasts Trust DSD Components to Perform!

i7-11700k 4.9g | RTX3080ti (finally!)| 64gb Ram | 2TB NVME PCIE4| Reverb G1 | CH Pro Throt/Fighterstick Pro | 4 DSD Boxes

Falcon XT/AT/3.0/4.0 | LB2 | DCS | LOMAC

Been Flight Simming Since 1988!

Useful VR settings and tips for DCS HERE

One for Each Eye + an Extra,

3-Way SLI

I was thinking the same thing. :)

Unfortunately multi gpu setups introduce latency, and syncing issues in VR. I've always had better experiences with a highend single gpu than SLI type setups, especially in combat flight sims. That said Nvidia, and AMD have been working closely with Oculus and probably other headset creators, to improve their drivers etc for VR.