PTID and Sparrowhawk - Page 3 - ED Forums

Notices

Old 12-06-2018, 03:41 PM   #21
turkeydriver

PTID came about only because the TID could only display the imaging direct connected and shown at half resolution (interlaced or unused lines from the radar screen or TCS screen- correct me, only have this from reading info). So RIOs realized that while they had a large screen, the resolution wasn't great- that's why the Heatblur image looks pixelated- its accurate. The crews knew if they had a higher resolution display and updated databus, they could use the large screen with higher resolution and have no problem lazing a gnat on a window sill. PTID wasn't a part of it until LANTIRN was integrated and used and came about when they realized they could do better- mostly likely because the D guys had a better display and (possibly)could bomb more accurately.
turkeydriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2018, 03:44 PM   #22
turkeydriver

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wizard_03 View Post
Let me put it this way, I’d like a 2005 F-14B with everything the F-14B was known for. NOT a 1997 F-14B with just the new engines
Then you want a broken F-14 at the end of its service life, with speed and G limitations out the wazoo, with wrinkled skin and dents all over.

I like my jets new with no limitations.- If they want to add the HUD and PTID later, great.
Old 12-06-2018, 05:27 PM   #23
RaceFuel85

Quote:
Let me put it this way, I’d like a 2005 F-14B with everything the F-14B was known for. NOT a 1997 F-14B with just the new engines
Poor reliability, failing radar, 4G limit, not exceeding Mach 1.5 and breaking down on the catapult every other minute?

LION 200
F-14D BuNo 164347
Commanding Officer , Fighter Squadron Two Thirteen

CDR J. "Dog" Lotton
www.cvw-8.org
RaceFuel85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2018, 05:31 PM   #24
Wizard_03

Quote:
Originally Posted by turkeydriver View Post
PTID came about only because the TID could only display the imaging direct connected and shown at half resolution (interlaced or unused lines from the radar screen or TCS screen- correct me, only have this from reading info). So RIOs realized that while they had a large screen, the resolution wasn't great- that's why the Heatblur image looks pixelated- its accurate. The crews knew if they had a higher resolution display and updated databus, they could use the large screen with higher resolution and have no problem lazing a gnat on a window sill. PTID wasn't a part of it until LANTIRN was integrated and used and came about when they realized they could do better- mostly likely because the D guys had a better display and (possibly)could bomb more accurately.
There was more to the upgrade then just higher resolution. They wanted to turn the F-14 into a Strike Fighter, while it could carry the pod and bombs initially; the upgrade optimized it for that role.

PTID allowed for digital integration with the pylons. Paving the way for an expanded A2G capability like JDAMs for example. It also found its way to F-14As as well.
Old 12-06-2018, 05:36 PM   #25
Wizard_03

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaceFuel85 View Post
Poor reliability, failing radar, 4G limit, not exceeding Mach 1.5 and breaking down on the catapult every other minute?
I don’t understand the pushback I’m getting here...having a later version would give people more content and more sim potential.

And we’re getting a F-14A for those who want an older version. The F-14B is inconic for A2G capability. Yet the version we’re getting is only a taste of what these upgrades allowed it too do. And doesn’t represent the majority of B cats

Last edited by Wizard_03; 12-06-2018 at 05:43 PM.
Wizard_03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2018, 06:30 PM   #26
Repth

Don't take it too personally Wizard. Heatblur have already answered this question as they have no plans to put development resources towards these features for the Bombcat since they saw limited use, and would rather spend the time developing the F-14D instead. I tried to find the original post but it's buried in here somewhere. They did express an interest to eventually make the D Cat. So all hope is not lost on a more capable strike platform.
Repth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2018, 07:11 PM   #27
turkeydriver

Quote:
I don’t understand the pushback I’m getting here...having a later version would give people more content and more sim potential.

And we’re getting a F-14A for those who want an older version. The F-14B is inconic for A2G capability. Yet the version we’re getting is only a taste of what these upgrades allowed it too do. And doesn’t represent the majority of B cats
Wanting it is understood- I took it that you were criticizing the era and model they decided upon and called it not accurate. I'm very excited for this module. I joined the Navy in 1996, and saw many F-14s on their way to/from Key West while stationed at NAS Pensacola. The daily Blue Angels practice didn't hold a candle to a motivated F-14 entering the break- imagine being able to identify the jets by their sound- and calibrating your snap look to be much further away from the sound if it was an F-14 and the motors sounded wet and the doppler effect moved quick. Tree-line, wings swept- what looked like a wing tip touching the treeline in a knife edge pass into a break and jet just settles into a cozy wings spread landing...… wish I had a GoPro back then lol.
Old 12-06-2018, 07:40 PM   #28
Wizard_03

Yeah definitely not trying to disrespect the devs, or say it’s inaccurate. Just wish we had a newer model F-14B. I’m a hornet person myself. So I’m Just starting to learn about the tomcat in depth. In the middle of reading F-14A Natops right now.

I actually like the idea of an upgraded B over D since I’ve heard some pilots say they preferred F-14B because it’s lighter, and with PTID you have nearly as much capability, plus I also just like the old cockpits better. Just imho.

But I’ll be happy with whatever we get, the F-14 is incredible.
Old 12-06-2018, 08:13 PM   #29
turkeydriver

The APG-71 had some much more capable air to air capabilities- the IRST was insane at detection in its element, and you had LINK-16 and NCTR. You couldn't touch a Ds airspace.
Old 12-06-2018, 09:30 PM   #30
Wizard_03

Quote:
Originally Posted by turkeydriver View Post
The APG-71 had some much more capable air to air capabilities- the IRST was insane at detection in its element, and you had LINK-16 and NCTR. You couldn't touch a Ds airspace.
I didn’t know it had NCTR capability, I thought that was just an F-15 thing, amazing.

It also had DFCS which made it much less temperamental, or so I’ve heard. Does anyone here know how IRST was actually used? Is it just slaved to the radar or does it have independent search ability?

Also how is it displayed, is it antenna elevation or B Scope?

I mean is just like an IR TCS or could it be used like the Russian IRSTs, does it require an established track file?

Last edited by Wizard_03; 12-06-2018 at 09:37 PM.
Wizard_03 is offline   Reply With Quote