A couple of questions

jfri

First regarding early access. Is this a problem ? I mean since the current release is still in development does this mean you encounter problems you don't have with other non early access planes ? Or is more like not all features being implemented yet (like a campaign) ?

Then I would like to ask how the spitfire compare to the P51 Mustang (that I have). Is it easier or more difficult to learn to fly and fight in ? Is the voiced tutorials and missions of good quality ?

Can't help on the fighting or the tutorials others will chime in

Early access is just stuff gets tuned and features added, it's a pretty good module as it stands right now

IMHO it's considerably more difficult than the P-51, especially taxi, take off and landing due to the free castoring tail wheel (it cannot be locked)

Once in the air it's a joy to fly and a great turner but slow compared to the other warbirds.

If you like a challenge and want to try something different it's a great buy. Very challenging and rewarding when you start to get the hang of it.

Do you have rudders? If not you will be in for a very frustrating time, personally I couldn't fly it without them

Can't help on the fighting or the tutorials others will chime in

Early access is just stuff gets tuned and features added, it's a pretty good module as it stands right now

IMHO it's considerably more difficult than the P-51, especially taxi, take off and landing due to the free castoring tail wheel (it cannot be locked)

Once in the air it's a joy to fly and a great turner but slow compared to the other warbirds.

If you like a challenge and want to try something different it's a great buy. Very challenging and rewarding when you start to get the hang of it.

Do you have rudders? If not you will be in for a very frustrating time, personally I couldn't fly it without them

I do have CH rudder pedals and a TM Hotas Warthog joystick & throttle.

I also have the A2A Spitfire for FSX (and also the civil A2A P51) and here I don't find the Spitfire more difficult then the P51

I do have CH rudder pedals and a TM Hotas Warthog joystick & throttle.

I also have the A2A Spitfire for FSX (and also the civil A2A P51) and here I don't find the Spitfire more difficult then the P51

I haven't flown FSX, but in DCS it is an entirely different kettle of fish to the Stang

Don't take my word look either at YouTube or the frustrations by many on here trying just to taxi and take off.

It's all down to the individual, but as far as the Warbirds in DCS IMHO you will be going from one of the easiest to taxi, take off and land to probably the hardest.

I can only tell you how it was for me, you might find it a "Piece of Cake"

Don't let me put you off, it's a great module, a lotta fun, but be prepared for some initial frustration that's all. I fly it more than any other by a long way because it's so challenging

There is a Auto Rudder and a Take Off assist you can use to help when you first try it. I've flown from day one with both off

Here is a couple of YouTube clips I made recently for Take Off and Landing, might give you a flavor

See in my early days I would have saved a few machines from the accident.

Nice job Weegie :thumbup: thanks for sharing the video.

🖥️MSI PRO Z690-A DDR4, Kingston 3600 MHz 64 Gb, i5 12600K, Gigabyte RTX 4090, Samsung SSD 970 EVO Plus,🕹️VKB NXT Premium.

Weegie, when seeing your videos, it feels like we are playing a different game. Your take off is so effortless. I've never learned to take off this beast. Landings are quite easy to perform.

I also got the same impression. Looking at the videos that didn't look so difficult.

What's occurring on the takeoffs Vino & jfri? Any particular behaviour that consistently causes trouble?

I don't have the DCS Spitfire. I'm considering buying it so I started this thread to ask before buying. The statements that the P51 is easiest to handle and the Spitfire the most difficult really makes me hesitant to buy it.

Maybe I'm better of picking up a german fighter?

I don't have the DCS Spitfire. I'm considering buying it so I started this thread to ask before buying. The statements that the P51 is easiest to handle and the Spitfire the most difficult really makes me hesitant to buy it.

Maybe I'm better of picking up a german fighter?

Yes of course, sorry, I'd forgotten you were the OP.

The Spitfire requires you to develop a knack with the ground handling and rudder work, particularly during the takeoff. It can take a little while for it to 'click'.

However once developed, this knack becomes second nature as long as you concentrate. The key is to trust your instinct - if you even suspect the nose is starting to wander away from your intended direction of travel then get your feet moving, with particular emphasis on the ethos that many short but sharp rudder movements are better than one long sustained .

The 109 and 190 are different animals; I would not say they were any less challenging than the Spit when compared to the Mustang, just they tend to want to bite you in different realms of the flight (including takeoff and landing) regime!

jfri

Depends what you want to do with it. I'm not a combat guy, I just like learning to fly them

But it comes down to, do you want another hot shot dogfighter or do you want something that's a bit of a challenge.

Spit has the best modeled pit IMHO and is the most fun to learn and if I can master it anybody can.

Anyway my recommendation is get it & I'll bow out and hope others chime in to help you with other opinions on the Spit

To answer the OPs original question: the Spit is very good in early access.

At this stage there are no show-stopping bugs.

And there is in fact even a separately sold campaign out.

Overall, yes, the Spitfire is the most challenging WW2 aircraft in DCS, but as others have said this relates mostly to ground handling, takeoff and landing. That being said, this is what makes it fun and rewarding.

In the air it's very nimble and much more stick sensitive than the Mustang or the German fighters. It'll easily outturn the others but lacks in the speed department. For this reason I'd say it's actually the easiest aircraft to fly and dogfight in.

Only thing is to keep an eye on your engine temps.

Some tips that will make life much easier if you do get it:

• Take it slow and easy taxiing, keep the stick back and avoid clamping the brake
  • Trim for takeoff. The Spit is eager to be in the air. Therefore I give it a lot of forward trim, as well as some right rudder. This should give you a straight takeoff run.
  • Don't use too much power for takeoff - you just don't need it.
  • In the air also go easy on the throttle. You don't want to be above 8 boost for extended periods, especially at low airspeeds as this will make your engine run hot.
  • Landing can be a pain, as you'll almost certainly dip a wing due to the narrow undercarriage. The trick is to apply about 15% brake for landing (you can map it to your warthog slider) and oscillate your rudder upon touchdown. Also make sure you're trimmed nicely for approach.

PC Specs / Hardware: MSI z370 Gaming Plus Mainboard, Intel 8700k @ 5GHz, MSI Sea Hawk 2080 Ti @ 2100MHz, 32GB 3200 MHz DDR4 RAM

Displays: Philips BDM4065UC 60Hz 4K UHD Screen, Pimax 8KX

Controllers / Peripherals: VPC MongoosT-50, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS, modded MS FFB2/CH Combatstick, MFG Crosswind Pedals, Gametrix JetSeat

I still find that in the absence of proper force feedback controllers it is difficult for me to deal with the rudder authority in the Spitfire, more than I actually expected - had the idea it would be the case with elevator more than with rudder...

Anyway, I have managed to make takeoffs where I raise the tail almost as soon as I nitiate the takeoff run, using +6 to +8 boost, and pushing the stick, while dancing on my rudder pedals :-)

Flight Simulation is the Virtual Materialization of a Dream...

First regarding early access. Is this a problem ? I mean since the current release is still in development does this mean you encounter problems you don't have with other non early access planes ? Or is more like not all features being implemented yet (like a campaign) ?

Then I would like to ask how the spitfire compare to the P51 Mustang (that I have). Is it easier or more difficult to learn to fly and fight in ? Is the voiced tutorials and missions of good quality ?

It feels pretty much finished to me, no bugs. The only feature that I'm missing A LOT is drop tanks. Now it's nearly impossible to fly cross-channel missions.

Comparing to the P-51: it's quite a bit slower, but turns much better. Easy to overheat during chandelles if you leave the power on. In a dogfight it's quite deadly though, if the Germans pick up the glove and play your game rather than BnZ.

It's a bit hard to take off and land at first, but in a very realistic way. Needs more focus and dancing on the rudder during takeoff than the P51, and landings must be 3 pointers. Also,, get used to curved final approaches. Once you get the hang of it, it's quite easy, really.

Not sure about tutorials, but the Epsom campaign is AMAZING!

jfri

Depends what you want to do with it. I'm not a combat guy, I just like learning to fly them

But it comes down to, do you want another hot shot dogfighter or do you want something that's a bit of a challenge.

Spit has the best modeled pit IMHO and is the most fun to learn and if I can master it anybody can.

Anyway my recommendation is get it & I'll bow out and hope others chime in to help you with other opinions on the Spit

I want to use it as a combat plane like all other planes in DCS since this is military combat oriented simulation.

If I only want to fly a plane I prefer FSX or P3D which are civilian oriented sims.

In spite of my concerns I did bought it before going to sleep and before the sales ended. First I thought it would be better to get the IL-2 Cliffs over Dover Blitz for flying a Spit. Also considered a german fighter but went for the Spit since it seem to have more content in form of inbuilt tutorials and mission and a campaign.

I can only hope that I wont find it to be like for example the UH 1 chopper that simply was to difficult to learn (to hoover and stand still)

Spitfire is not so difficult and is look like the other ww2 modules in flight.

So the brakes are too hard and make taxiing weird.

The most of players are disappointed using full power on take off above all.

So push your throttle upto 8 no more and will see a smooth take off.

To illustrate the exaggerated brakes power look at these videos and tell me if it's reliable.

http://cromhunt.proboards.com/thread/342/weird-warbirds-landings

I wonder if a real aircraft,among this kind of warbirds, is able to land on carrier without hook and cables?

Have to remember that it's just a game,a very accuracy game in flight,i do recognize.

see you

Edited by cromhunt

If I only want to fly a plane I prefer FSX or P3D which are civilian oriented sims.

I abandoned P3D because I had no illusion of flying. FM sucks a big time. I do not do fighting in DCS, exept sometimes I do some practise shooting (trucks, they don’t shoot back). :)

I abandoned P3D because I had no illusion of flying. FM sucks a big time. I do not do fighting in DCS, exept sometimes I do some practise shooting (trucks, they don’t shoot back). :)

Is that not different depending of which plane you fly ? For example A2A and Realair are considered to have very realistic planes. And we do have the A2A Spitfire. Could be interesting to compare it with my newly purchased DCS Spit.

Is that not different depending of which plane you fly ? For example A2A and Realair are considered to have very realistic planes. And we do have the A2A Spitfire. Could be interesting to compare it with my newly purchased DCS Spit.

Simply not comparable... No way ...

Starting with such simple aspects of the core simulation in MSFS ( also used by A2A ) such as torque effects only being "effective" up to Vs0, etc..., and continuing with asymmetry of lift / drag / thrust, propwash effects taking into consideration not only design aspects of the aircraft itself but also external factors like the wind ( very important while still in contcat with ground, taxiing, taking off or landing... ), fuselage and other cell elements interference, etc...

It's another World...

Edited by jcomm

Simply not comparable... No way ...

Starting with such simple aspects of the core simulation in MSFS ( also used by A2A ) such as torque effects only being "effective" up to Vs0, etc..., and continuing with asymmetry of lift / drag / thrust, propwash effects taking into consideration not only design aspects of the aircraft itself but also external factors like the wind ( very important while still in contcat with ground, taxiing, taking off or landing... ), fuselage and other cell elements interference, etc...

It's another World...

What do you think about XPlane it uses another technic blade theory ?

What do you think about XPlane it uses another technic blade theory ?

That's true, but honestly I am yet to find a good representation of ww2 aircraft in XP.

It has the potential, specially with the latest propwash updates, but I am yet to find it shine...

TBH, for some reason, after years using MSFS and XP, I ended up in DCS :-)

In the end, the underlying physics code is one thing, making the most out of it is the other.

Just like there are shoddy examples of supposedly PFM-level 3rd party aircraft in DCS, there will probably some excellent things being relased for XP once the platform matures more and gets better following from 3rd party studios.

i7 9700K @ stock speed, single GTX1070, 32 gigs of RAM, TH Warthog, MFG Crosswind, Win10.

In the end, the underlying physics code is one thing, making the most out of it is the other.

Just like there are shoddy examples of supposedly PFM-level 3rd party aircraft in DCS, there will probably some excellent things being relased for XP once the platform matures more and gets better following from 3rd party studios.

Very true... Actually, I've long been trying to discover how to capture that feel of flying a ww2 module in DCS into X-Plane 10 and now sometimes 11 too...

One of these days I bought the recently released F4-U, updated to XP11.10+ which includes the new propwash calculations. These remind me a lot of a thread I once initiated about the P51d, and where Yo-Yo actively participated giving very interesting information about the details of propwas modelling in DCS World - It was one of the occasions I took to learn how detail / completeness are objectives in the development made by ED, within the limitations imposed by running on a game PC....