When are VR Users Gonna get there moneys worth? - ED Forums

Notices

Old 12-26-2017, 06:48 AM   #1
huggy98

Default When are VR Users Gonna get there moneys worth?

I have bought combined arms but because I use VR, using tactical commander on multiplayer is totally useless. and as that was the only reason I bought it I feel like I have been conned. I can direct vehicles on the f10 map but that is all. when is this problem going to be sorted out? Until this is fixed there should be a warning on the description, explaining that it is unusable in VR. I'm no expert but it doesn't look like too difficult a problem to fix. so why hasn't it been fixed by now? so us VR users can get what we paid for?
huggy98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2017, 08:11 AM   #2
Kayos

I figured that would have been fixed by now. I guess not.
I don’t use CA since I got vr because of that.
Old 12-26-2017, 01:39 PM   #3
zhukov032186

Quote:
Originally Posted by huggy98 View Post
I'm no expert but it doesn't look like too difficult a problem to fix. so why hasn't it been fixed by now?
Probably because you're not an expert and don't know what you're talking about. Also, you must not have read the description very closely. It is not, nor will it ever be, a 3d "commander view" of the battlefield, ala the Total War series. Command and Conquer is over there --->
I do solemnly swear to strafe every pilot I shoot down, destructible or not, circumstances permitting, because reasonz. Opponents are advised to assume the position upon landing, or preferably, while still in the air.
zhukov032186 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2017, 11:01 PM   #4
Zarma

Yea but sadly CA is almost useless in VR. I had fun to ambush with a mobile SAM but complicated in VR and cant change to 2D as most of the time I am hosting.

http://www.twitch.tv/zarma4074 / https://www.youtube.com/user/Zarma4074
Zarma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2017, 11:28 PM   #5
Fri13

The question is, when is the Combined Arms being developed what it should be? And when is the DCS World being developed for the ground troops in mind, so every air unit would benefit from it too?

Meaning things like, individual infantry soldier is not a "unit" but just a infantry soldier. You should be commanding a squads, platoons etc. So a infantry squad is a single symbol. A infantry platoon is a single symbol.

The same thing is for the vehicles, a MBT platoon should be 3-4 MBT under a single symbol. So you command the platoon to go somewhere, not individual MBT.

The F10 map is like general thing, you just say "go to X position, be there at time Y, prepare defensive line to North. Attack to town Z west from you, starts 05:45." But you are not commanding individual units in the whole attack. That should be behind 3D view like modern 3D RTS game!

Free camera, Fog of War based intelligence and communications. It doesn't help that one of your units see something if you are not exactly commanding that unit, until that unit manages to report the sighting forward. So add there a few seconds to get first signaling to radio guy, few seconds to get the radio call forward, few seconds to process that and get then that forward until you are directly on FOB or HQ.

That radio communication simulation would as well add worth to CAS pilots as they would get the direct line as should, if there is someone to talk. Every CAS pilot and anyways every pilot should be there to report every sighting. Have a correct radio frequency in multiplayer as otherwise no one else is going to get any intelligence. Spotting something would mean you are only adding some vague general location that can be about 1-2 km accuracy.

A fighter pilot wouldn't see directly anyone, unless their fighter has radar on and datalink sending the data to ground units etc. A GCI or SAM could spot and direct the QRF to interception, with the own realistic delays etc.

The 3D camera commanding that like example Eugen Wargame game series has, would open DCSWorld CA module to far more users. Get pilots to have more ground units and more fun as there would be ground units fighting against each others too instead just some scattered ones somewhere, that is like shooting fish in a bucket.

The CA is the module that should combine every other module, ground and air to one complex warfare. But it is not there.

Now when 2.5 gets released, we have hope that it gets better when ground units has limited capabilities to go through forests and need to use roads, towns etc are more important, bridges are critical etc etc. But F10 map doesn't cut it anymore, it needs to be 3D. And so that VR is possible way to play the game.
Fri13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2017, 06:36 PM   #6
huggy98

Quote:
Originally Posted by zhukov032186 View Post
Probably because you're not an expert and don't know what you're talking about. Also, you must not have read the description very closely. It is not, nor will it ever be, a 3d "commander view" of the battlefield, ala the Total War series. Command and Conquer is over there --->
no, i'm no expert. but, you don't seem like much of an expert either. the problem I see when using vr is only that in the first person view, when you move your head left your turret goes right etc. surly for the experts, this isn't a big problem to fix. what do you think mr expert?
Old 12-27-2017, 06:38 PM   #7
huggy98

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayos View Post
I figured that would have been fixed by now. I guess not.
I don’t use CA since I got vr because of that.
but you paid for it. you should be able to use it.
Old 12-27-2017, 07:51 PM   #8
impeller83

I tried CA a week ago, thought I hade done something wrong had same problems as hugger mentioned. Hope this will get attention later on. But for now, I'm sure it's a lot other more high priorities in the pipeline. Right?
impeller83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2017, 10:26 PM   #9
lazduc

Not only CA but all the rest........

If 2.2xxx is any indication of the up coming 2.5 merge......ya I would think ED programmers are up to their armpits in alligators.

Four weeks till the hammer falls.
lazduc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2017, 10:51 PM   #10
zhukov032186

Quote:
Originally Posted by huggy98 View Post
no, i'm no expert. but, you don't seem like much of an expert either. the problem I see when using vr is only that in the first person view, when you move your head left your turret goes right etc. surly for the experts, this isn't a big problem to fix. what do you think mr expert?

CA is supposed to get a rework eventually. VR did not exist when CA was made, so duh, nothing like that works properly. It's on the to-do list, sometime after the much higher priority major engine overhaul currently in process, part of which is... wait for it! Drum roll, please!

Improved VR integration.

As for my level of expertise with coding, and my familiarity with DCS timelines, it's good enough that I'm not surprised that an old module, which was written before the new VR craze, which largely is still cobbled together proof of concept material (did you know MOST developers have ignored VR until recently? Why? Because it only started becoming a stable technology you could reliably code around over the last year)

I know enough about it to know that a game has to be designed from the ground up with it in mind, that you can't simply copy paste code into an old game and poof it's VR ready. Or maybe you didn't notice how nobody is going back and VRifying old retro games?

By all means, ask for improved VR support. That is great! But spare us the faux indignation and 'it's so easy' nonsense. If it's so easy to do, go take a crash course in C++ and volunteer your services. I'm sure Eagle Dynamics could use a technological prodigy such as yourself.
I do solemnly swear to strafe every pilot I shoot down, destructible or not, circumstances permitting, because reasonz. Opponents are advised to assume the position upon landing, or preferably, while still in the air.
zhukov032186 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
combined arms