How is Combined Arms in VR? - ED Forums

Notices

Old 04-15-2017, 02:18 PM   #1
John Hargreaves

Default How is Combined Arms in VR?

I've just bought the CA module in the Easter sale, mainly with a view to roaming around Normandy at some time in the future. I've searched the forum and read a few posts about the VR implementation and it seems a bit mixed, and a lot of the posts are quite old.
So, I was wondering if anyone had any recent experiences of CA in VR. I asked a similar question over in the Normandy map thread, but I guess this is a better place to put it. I get the impression that actual combat in VR is problematic, but I'd be happy enough to drive around in a jeep, so if blowing stuff up is less of an option so be it.
I think that the Normandy map has great potential for CA, if it works the way it does in the blurb that is.
Old 04-15-2017, 04:25 PM   #2
hansangb
Veteran

I haven't had a chance to try it out in VR - surprisingly. But I never played with CA too much. Just drove around looking for things too shoot

I'll give it a shot (hopefully this week sometime) and report back.
Spoiler:
i7-8700K Delid/OC'ed to 5.1GHz, EVGA Z370 MB, 32GB DDR4 3200MHz, EVGA GTX 1080 Ti Hybrid, NVMe+SSD, Win 10 x64 Pro, MFG, JetSeat, Warthog, TM MFDs, Komodo Huey set, CV1
hansangb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2017, 10:07 PM   #3
John Hargreaves

Nice one thanks, the learning curve just with CA alone in 2D will be steep enough for me, I'll also report back with my findings if I get up and running in VR
Old 04-15-2017, 10:55 PM   #4
Delta99

I've only jumped in for a very very short time but VR implementation seemed weak and not entirely usueable.
Delta99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2017, 11:24 PM   #5
scudrunner
Tester NS 430

At the moment, at least for me, it's unusable in VR.

Upon entering a vehicle, turning your head provides the opposite direction it should (left and right), which is immediately nausea inducing. Entering and selecting JTAC mode makes it serviceable to drop your smoke or lase or whatever, but that's the max of it.
scudrunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2017, 01:27 AM   #6
Hawkeye60

The last time I tried it, a while ago, I set a a tank battle and hopped into the fray.
I decided to get out of my tank and climb on top for a better view of the battlefield.
I did this with the wife's help and a handy step stool.

As I was surveying the battlefield some lucky Bastard scored a direct hit upon my tank!

With me on top!

I nearly fell off the stool and would have if not for the wife's steadying hand.

I was quite dead!

Did the same sort of thing with B-29 bombers on a runway.

I die all the time this way!
Great fun!
"Yeah, and though I work in the valley of Death, I will fear no Evil. For where there is one, there is always three. I preparest my aircraft to receive the Iron that will be delivered in the presence of my enemies. Thy ALCM and JDAM they comfort me. Power was given unto the aircrew to make peace upon the world by way of the sword. And when the call went out, Behold the "Sword of Stealth". And his name was Death. And Hell followed him. For the day of wrath has come and no mercy shall be given."
Hawkeye60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2017, 10:15 AM   #7
upupandaway

Quote:
Originally Posted by scudrunner View Post
At the moment, at least for me, it's unusable in VR.

Upon entering a vehicle, turning your head provides the opposite direction it should (left and right), which is immediately nausea inducing. Entering and selecting JTAC mode makes it serviceable to drop your smoke or lase or whatever, but that's the max of it.
+1

I tried it once a few weeks ago and it was unplayable in VR because the head movement is inverted. I have had quite some time with intense VR titles and don´t easily feel nauseated anymore, but CA is either not finished yet or bugged...

Basically it should be a lot of fun to ride on top of your vehicle and fire guns at stuff...
Old 04-17-2017, 08:21 PM   #8
Los

Agree with others...somewhat unuseable.
Los is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2017, 11:14 AM   #9
tom1502

In desperate need of work, frustrating really as to use it with Track IR I would have to to got to settings, turn off VR and then relaunch the game with Track IR running.

It would be great if they could get this fixed before their WW2 Assets pack CA release.
  • Nvidia GeForce GTX 1070
  • Oculus Rift CV1
tom1502 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2017, 09:24 AM   #10
John Hargreaves

Mmm, fascinating stuff guys, looks like CA+VR isn't quite there yet, so it's back to 2D for a while. I really hope that CA+VR+WWII assets in Normandy will come to pass one day.