Absolutely hated it... for the first ten minutes

brettt777

I really thought I had wasted $40 for the first ten minutes. I could NOT get the thing to track straight down the runway to get airborne! I crashed and burned about a dozen times and said allot of very bad words that I don't normally say. Then I finally realized that a very small bit of differential braking seems to do the trick. So... I finally got it airborne. Once. For about ten minutes. Until I stalled/over-G'd/slammed into a lake tail first. Not sure how that happened...

You would think I would have figured this out very quickly because of the weird hand grip bicycle brake arrangement similar to what the L-39 has. Not only do I own the DCS L-39 and fly it regularly, I have also worked on L-39s for a living for the last ten years and have many hours starting/taxiing/riding in them so I know how that all works. That being said, an L-39 obviously doesn't take near as much differential braking to get it pointed down the runway.

So, I will try it again tonight and hopefully not crash and burn too many times before I get in the air. Seems to me I had a similar issue with the P-51 when I first got it. And maybe, just maybe, I won't hate it anymore.

I7 4790K @ 4.5ghz, MSI Z97S SLI+, 32GB HyperX 2400 DDR3, GeForce RTX-3060ti 8GB DDR6, Rosewill 80plus Bronze 1000w, Corsair Hydro H100i, Intel 160GB SSD for OS, Seagate Barracuda 2TB, Intel 1TB SSD for DCS, P3D, Star Citizen, Sound Blaster Zx, Thermaltake Overseer RX-I, Logitech G940 FFB stick, dual throttle & pedals, TrackIR 5, Surround Speakers & Subwoofer, Oculus Quest 2 VR.

:joystick::pilotfly:

The manual says, any tendency to swing is easily corrected with rudder, so that's what I do and it is.

GL..

I7 2600K @ 3.8, CoolerMaster 212X, EVGA GTX 1070 8gb. RAM 16gb Corsair, 1kw PSU. 2 x WD SSD. 1 x Samsung M2 NVMe. 3 x HDD. Saitek X-52. Saitek Pro Flight pedals. CH Flight Sim yoke. TrackIR 5. Win 10 Pro. IIyama 1080p. MSAA x 2, SSAA x 1.5. Settings High. Harrier/Spitfire/Beaufighter/The Channel, fanboy..

• ED Team
I really thought I had wasted $40 for the first ten minutes. I could NOT get the thing to track straight down the runway to get airborne! I crashed and burned about a dozen times and said allot of very bad words that I don't normally say. Then I finally realized that a very small bit of differential braking seems to do the trick. So... I finally got it airborne. Once. For about ten minutes. Until I stalled/over-G'd/slammed into a lake tail first. Not sure how that happened...

You would think I would have figured this out very quickly because of the weird hand grip bicycle brake arrangement similar to what the L-39 has. Not only do I own the DCS L-39 and fly it regularly, I have also worked on L-39s for a living for the last ten years and have many hours starting/taxiing/riding in them so I know how that all works. That being said, an L-39 obviously doesn't take near as much differential braking to get it pointed down the runway.

So, I will try it again tonight and hopefully not crash and burn too many times before I get in the air. Seems to me I had a similar issue with the P-51 when I first got it. And maybe, just maybe, I won't hate it anymore.

For takeoff, you really don't need to use the brake or even ailerons. Just back stick until around 60 mph and use the rudders.

I seem to find lightly dancing on the rudders, as "Chief Instructor" said, like they're hot coals, regardless of whether I need them or not, tapping them back and forth and then as speed picks up and noticeable swing kicks in I give a little extra touch on the opproriate pedal. If I wait until I notice the aircraft yawing it's often as not too late. It's probably not strictly correct but seems to help me at least.

Well, I got it off the ground first time tonight although I did scrape a wingtip once or twice. The landing wasn't so pretty...

I suppose I'll get it in time but at least for now I still prefer the Mustang. Maybe once I get the controls dialed in like I have on the P-51 so it's not so twitchy in flight...

I7 4790K @ 4.5ghz, MSI Z97S SLI+, 32GB HyperX 2400 DDR3, GeForce RTX-3060ti 8GB DDR6, Rosewill 80plus Bronze 1000w, Corsair Hydro H100i, Intel 160GB SSD for OS, Seagate Barracuda 2TB, Intel 1TB SSD for DCS, P3D, Star Citizen, Sound Blaster Zx, Thermaltake Overseer RX-I, Logitech G940 FFB stick, dual throttle & pedals, TrackIR 5, Surround Speakers & Subwoofer, Oculus Quest 2 VR.

:joystick::pilotfly:

Watch this as well, This is Yo-Yo showing what time in seat does for you :) Not the control display on the bottom left corner.

8lbs fairly quickly was the only way I was able to not wind up all over the place.

Thanks for posting this. Now I don't feel like quite such a jerk :thumbup:

When you hit the wrong button on take-off

hwl7xqL.gif

System Specs.

Spoiler
System board: MSI X670E ACE Memory: 64GB DDR5-6000 G.Skill Ripjaw System disk: Crucial P5 M.2 2TB
CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D PSU: Corsair HX1200 PSU Monitor: ASUS MG279Q, 27"
CPU cooling: Noctua NH-D15S Graphics card: MSI RTX 3090Ti SuprimX VR: Oculus Rift CV1