The Jet Engine thread

Vitormouraa

Hey guys!

So it's been a long time that I've been wanting to create a thread that is all about gas turbine engines, jet engines in general. I absolutely love the topic and I'm sure there are people here who love this topic too!

So I'm finally creating a thread all about turbine engines. I've been thinking about this for months, and I still don't know what to post here. Not sure if I should post a video, a question, quote or even photos...

So I decided to post a link to a channel that inspired me to study the subject, which is, of course, the AgentJayZ! One of the greatest channels on YT IMHO. :smartass:

https://www.youtube.com/user/AgentJayZ/videos A channel that is all about jet engines!

So what I want to discuss in this thread: Everything about jet engines, being turbofan, turbojet, turboshaft, ramjet, rockets, anything related to jet engines.

Please, if you have any question, picture, article, video to share, feel free to post them here!

Here are two pictures of the SR-71 Blackbird (one of my fav jets!) taking off (1st pic) with afterburner on, and as you can see the Shock diamonds in the afterburner flame, which are oblique shockwaves caused by the supersonic gases and the difference in pressure (abrupt pressure changes) between the exhaust gas flow and the atmospheric pressure. At low altitudes, jet engines nozzles are generally over-expanded, which means the atmospheric pressure is higher than the exit flow of the exhaust. This increase in pressure ignites basically anything in the engine's exhaust! Temperature and pressure in the core of the shockwave are extremely high!

SR-71_Takeoff_with_Afterburner_Showing_Shock_Diamonds_in_Exhaust.jpg

lockheed_sr71_l3-e1421855431373.jpg

b9fseDa.jpg

qpGxUGk.jpg

I could talk about the SR-71 all day long... but anyway, feel free to post anything related to jet engines, I'm looking forward to seeing them!

Edited by Vitormouraa

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

:)

ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero, i7-6700K, Noctua NH-D14 Cooler, Crucial 32GB DDR4 2133, Samsung 950 Pro NVMe 256GB, Samsung EVO 250GB & 500GB SSD, 2TB Caviar Black, Zotac GTX 1080 AMP! Extreme 8GB, Corsair HX1000i, Phillips BDM4065UC 40" 4k monitor, VX2258 TouchScreen, TIR 5 w/ProClip, TM Warthog, VKB Gladiator Pro, Saitek X56, et. al., MFG Crosswind Pedals #1199, VolairSim Pit, Rift CV1 :thumbup:

Thanks for contributing Texac!

*image*

I think that is the most amazing image that I have seen. My youth was spent following everything space related and I never imagined seeing something like that.

ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero, i7-6700K, Noctua NH-D14 Cooler, Crucial 32GB DDR4 2133, Samsung 950 Pro NVMe 256GB, Samsung EVO 250GB & 500GB SSD, 2TB Caviar Black, Zotac GTX 1080 AMP! Extreme 8GB, Corsair HX1000i, Phillips BDM4065UC 40" 4k monitor, VX2258 TouchScreen, TIR 5 w/ProClip, TM Warthog, VKB Gladiator Pro, Saitek X56, et. al., MFG Crosswind Pedals #1199, VolairSim Pit, Rift CV1 :thumbup:

Indeed. I find this image brilliant, amazing. For a really long time, rockets used to be thrown away in the space and now, we can make them land vertically, which is mind-blowing, at least to me. Not sure if I'm exaggerating but I could say that two rockets, landing information, vertically, must be the most beautiful thing of this century, yet! Technologically saying. :)

Indeed. I find this image brilliant, amazing. For a really long time, rockets used to be thrown away in the space and now, we can make them land vertically, which is mind-blowing, at least to me. Not sure if I'm exaggerating but I could say that two rockets, landing information, vertically, must be the most beautiful thing of this century, yet! Technologically saying. :)

^^^QFT :thumbup:

that's an F-15 related pic: :smilewink: of a Pratt & Whitney F100 engine

Check my quote. I wasn't speaking about that image.

Got some afterburner pics for you :)

This is what an afterburner flame should look like (Belgian F-16AM taking off from Volkel Airbase during an exercise)

F-16AM%20Takeoff.jpg

This is what it definately should NOT look like (it failed a few minutes after I took this picture)

IMG_4232.jpg

"Burp" (French Mirage-2000D taking off from Leeuwarden airbase during an exercise)

IMG_8199.jpg

Dutch Flanker Display Team | LLTM 2010 Tiger Spirit Award

Hehe! I personally love the clicking sound of the engine (especially the compressor rotor) when shutting down the engine. Tho it's completely normal, it may sound strange to some people :D

The L-39 in DCS has this sound, and it's very cool.

Oh, let's not forget the exciters of the ignition system. :) Tac tac tac

Touching the turkey feathers of the F414 engine in afterburner!

5588023868_b4b1a5e51f_b.png

The beauty of engine engineering. The turkey feathers don't get hot at all! you can touch them without any problem, even if the engine is in afterburner. The reason is that there is air flowing between the engine and the turkey feathers themselves. They are completely isolated from the jet pipe, composed of titanium and steel. No heat is transferred to the turkey feathers in order to prevent an increase in IR signatures.

No heat is transferred to the turkey feathers in order to prevent an increase in IR signatures.

Less about the IR signature, more about preventing the AB to burn through the exhaust liner.

To whom it may concern,

I am an idiot, unfortunately for the world, I have a internet connection and a fondness for beer....apologies for that.

Thank you for you patience.

Many people don't want the truth, they want constant reassurance that whatever misconception/fallacies they believe in are true..