Introducing the VPC MongoosT-50 - Page 198 - ED Forums

Notices

Old 04-21-2018, 07:49 AM   #1971
Gizzy

I believe it is soft centre cam and medium spring... give it a good rattle before changing.... for me after trying the others I came back to default even with 2 extensions Enjoy..
Gizzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2018, 09:09 AM   #1972
Karon

I might have found a flaw in the design of the ball bearings area, or maybe it's just my cams. Next time I open the base I'll take a pic.
This actually happened a few months ago but I forgot to post about it

I haven't noticed it before because I fly the Ka-50 or other rotary-wings most of the times, so movements are smooth and fairly slow. I have reinstalled Il2 and the stress on the stick is much pronounced. What happen is: during hard or fast turns, the stick behaves as if it was on a sheet of sand paper: vibrations, rough movement and weird noises.

I have opened the base and did some tests. I have fixed it by adding a washer (see the edited pic attached, the red line is where I've placed the washer). What I think happens is that the cam is not perfectly squared (I mean the ∠ between its flat and vertical surfaces is not exacly 90 deg) or that the ball bearing is somehow loose. This means that, when I pull hard (NOTE: I use soft springs and I keep them very, very loose so the force applied to mechanic is quite small) the ball bearing is subject of some sort of torque force perpendicular to the mast and thus it's unable to provide a smooth transition.
By adding an additional big washer adiacent to the ball bearing I basically keep it in place so it doens't twist anymore and it's much much much better.

I'm not really sure what I wrote is understandable, I'll take some pics next time I open my base.

EDIT> also, finally opened the thread about Arduino stuff for Virpil Desk Mount: https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=206778
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	washer_small.jpeg
Views:	144
Size:	323.7 KB
ID:	182896  

132nd Virtual Wing - 696th vSquadron
VCB: ArmA3 British Army Light Infantry platoon
A3/DCS youtube channel: ArmA3 streaming + DCS nonsense
Arduino controls box forum thread

Last edited by Karon; 04-21-2018 at 09:40 AM.
Karon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2018, 03:28 PM   #1973
sze5003

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karon View Post
I might have found a flaw in the design of the ball bearings area, or maybe it's just my cams. Next time I open the base I'll take a pic.
This actually happened a few months ago but I forgot to post about it

I haven't noticed it before because I fly the Ka-50 or other rotary-wings most of the times, so movements are smooth and fairly slow. I have reinstalled Il2 and the stress on the stick is much pronounced. What happen is: during hard or fast turns, the stick behaves as if it was on a sheet of sand paper: vibrations, rough movement and weird noises.

I have opened the base and did some tests. I have fixed it by adding a washer (see the edited pic attached, the red line is where I've placed the washer). What I think happens is that the cam is not perfectly squared (I mean the ∠ between its flat and vertical surfaces is not exacly 90 deg) or that the ball bearing is somehow loose. This means that, when I pull hard (NOTE: I use soft springs and I keep them very, very loose so the force applied to mechanic is quite small) the ball bearing is subject of some sort of torque force perpendicular to the mast and thus it's unable to provide a smooth transition.
By adding an additional big washer adiacent to the ball bearing I basically keep it in place so it doens't twist anymore and it's much much much better.

I'm not really sure what I wrote is understandable, I'll take some pics next time I open my base.

EDIT> also, finally opened the thread about Arduino stuff for Virpil Desk Mount: https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=206778
Have you contacted virpil about this? I wonder what the solution would be that they offer. If the washer solves your issue maybe that has been rectified in other units? I'm curious how my warBRD base will turn out.
Asus ROG Strix Z370-E | Core i7 8700k @5.0Ghz-Corsair H100i v2 | 32GB DDR4 Corsair Vengence LPX 3000 | 1TB Seagate 7200 rpm | OCZ Trion 150 960GB | 256GB Samsung 830 | 1TB Samsung 850 EVO | Asus Strix OC 1080Ti | Samsung Odyssey
sze5003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2018, 06:16 PM   #1974
<Blaze>

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gizzy View Post
I believe it is soft centre cam and medium spring... give it a good rattle before changing.... for me after trying the others I came back to default even with 2 extensions Enjoy..
I've been flying with it since yesterday. I added 20 curve in both axes and it feels pretty good. I actually thought I'd want to have the soft centre and the medium so I guess I'll stick with it. Thanks. If I evel feel like messing around I might try the others, but not for now.

How do you kill 2 flankers with 1 wing?

A good fighter pilot is either trying to get high or is already high!
<Blaze> is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2018, 10:13 PM   #1975
Weedwacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by <Blaze> View Post
I've been flying with it since yesterday. I added 20 curve in both axes and it feels pretty good. I actually thought I'd want to have the soft centre and the medium so I guess I'll stick with it. Thanks. If I evel feel like messing around I might try the others, but not for now.

I added a slight deadzone, otherwise it picks up all those tiny movements on the center. .5 deadzone and a 10 curve i think, maybe a 5 curve for roll and 10 for pitch
Weedwacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2018, 03:42 AM   #1976
Barefoot Bandit

Quote:
Originally Posted by sze5003 View Post
Have you contacted virpil about this? I wonder what the solution would be that they offer. If the washer solves your issue maybe that has been rectified in other units? I'm curious how my warBRD base will turn out.
The WarBRD is a very different style of gimbal, I don't think it's as susceptible to these small machining errors.

Z...
Barefoot Bandit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2018, 06:53 AM   #1977
Karon

Considering that this problem has totally disappeared and my base is one of the first batch (fear the old treadlock!), I'm not entirely sure I want to venture into a cam swap.

Since I fly rotary only, I wonder if the new cams make the T-50 even more neat.

Old 04-22-2018, 06:57 AM   #1978
Barefoot Bandit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karon View Post
Considering that this problem has totally disappeared and my base is one of the first batch (fear the old treadlock!), I'm not entirely sure I want to venture into a cam swap.

Since I fly rotary only, I wonder if the new cams make the T-50 even more neat.
I've got one of the first T50's, I had absolutely no issues with the came screws. I do wonder if it's more a case of the odd unit being out of spec on the first run?

Z...
Barefoot Bandit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2018, 09:31 AM   #1979
Karon

No idea.

Any way, considering I realised the issues after more than 6 months, is something really not noticeble unless in some situations. I wonder if the T-50 is not making me too "picky": my old CH Fighterstick had a deadzone of 2-3mm due to tear&wear and I've never bother to change its pots

I might drop an email to Mr Cypher, so he's aware of the issue in case it something else and gets worse later.

Old 04-23-2018, 11:40 AM   #1980
Looney

What would users recommend for springs/cams/shafts for controlling a helicopter?

I'd like to have no center and the stick to remain where it is when I let go.

Tags
mongoost-50, virpil, virpil controls, vpc