Yet another warthog slew upgrade - Page 8 - ED Forums

Notices

Old 04-17-2018, 08:34 PM   #71
norbot

Just found the technical specifications of the Ultra-MSI 462 sensor: http://www.liveelectronics.co.uk/wp-...14/06/462C.pdf

Last edited by norbot; 04-17-2018 at 08:39 PM.
norbot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2018, 06:18 PM   #72
Deltaalphalima1

Thanks for the feedback everyone! Great to know everything is working out well.

I'm now pleased to announce there will be a second batch of 10 units, ready around mid May hopefully. Anyone who wants one please message me to reserve before they're all gone

For anyone interested, here is a link to the installation instuctions and slightly modified calibration tool:
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1gL...xMI8IRM0406edU

Warthog Slew upgrade kits available to pre-order at: www.deltasimelectronics.com
Deltaalphalima1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2018, 04:27 PM   #73
Deano87

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deltaalphalima1 View Post
Thanks for the feedback everyone! Great to know everything is working out well.

I'm now pleased to announce there will be a second batch of 10 units, ready around mid May hopefully. Anyone who wants one please message me to reserve before they're all gone

For anyone interested, here is a link to the installation instuctions and slightly modified calibration tool:
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1gL...xMI8IRM0406edU
I'm interested.. I sent you a PM - I think.. I see nothing in my sent box but I think it doesn't auto save there.
Old 04-20-2018, 08:52 AM   #74
DeadMeat

So happy to hear that it is working out for you guys.

Quote:
I the mean time I’m working on a better mounting mechanism for an ALPS mini joystick (Xbox style thumbstick) which would mean I could slash the cost to something much more affordable (less than £40 shipped hopefully).
Nice! Keep at it. A PS style thumbstick should be much better than the stock TM sensor even if it is "tier 2" compared to a force sensor. The lower price point would also put it in the range of a lot more of the warthog user community.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thermal View Post
Follow up, I installed a push button to replace the one built into the original slew.
Nice one Be careful about modding the warthog. You start with just one little button, then its a professional grade slew sensor and then it just takes off and you end up swapping everything out for mil spec switching hardware, mag switches and it just goes on and on
DeadMeat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2018, 09:40 AM   #75
paulu013

Preferably the PS3 thumbstick with Hall sensor (ALPS brand with Sentron 2SA-10 2-axis hall sensor). Debolestis already made a mount for this thumbstick for a Suncom SFS so he could problably adjust this mount for it to fit properly in the Warthog (https://www.shapeways.com/product/62...ionId=60407819 and knob: https://www.shapeways.com/product/8J...shop-inventory). Also Oakes posted a guide to replace the slew with a PS Thumbstick ( 3-pin pot version ) here: https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=185698.
paulu013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2018, 06:00 PM   #76
og_wolf

Oh men! I just received this force sensing mod. This is f*** precise! After first run it was a bit off center but after running TM calibration tool as said in manual it's just perfect.

Somebody earlier said that original slew was 8-bit (256 possible positions). I'm not sure of that as I see it in DIView (raw value) as 10-bit (1024 possible positions). In theory it might depend on Throttle production time (mine is s/n #26413). Or DIView might report something strange. I don't know. What I know is now I'm able to do very fine adjustments using slew control.

So... it looks like bye, bye to the Cougar throttle. At least for some time.

Deltaalphalima1 you did a great job! Thanks man!
og_wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2018, 06:06 PM   #77
og_wolf

Now a question. What's the best button to use as additional mod? I like how and where @Thermal mounted his push button but I don't like the button itself (with the led, etc.). What would you recommend? Preferably not very expensive.
og_wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2018, 07:04 PM   #78
Deltaalphalima1

Quote:
Originally Posted by og_wolf View Post
Oh men! I just received this force sensing mod. This is f*** precise! After first run it was a bit off center but after running TM calibration tool as said in manual it's just perfect.

Somebody earlier said that original slew was 8-bit (256 possible positions). I'm not sure of that as I see it in DIView (raw value) as 10-bit (1024 possible positions). In theory it might depend on Throttle production time (mine is s/n #26413). Or DIView might report something strange. I don't know. What I know is now I'm able to do very fine adjustments using slew control.

So... it looks like bye, bye to the Cougar throttle. At least for some time.

Deltaalphalima1 you did a great job! Thanks man!
Thank you! Glad you like it

To clear up the resolution thing, as a few people have mentioned it:

It is an 8 bit interface, that’s a limitation of the throttle unfortunately. I’m actually reading the sensor position at 10 bit (at nearly 10kHz ) but I then have to down-scale to transmit to the throttle at 8 bit ~ 10Hz over I2C.
It might only be 8 bit, but I am actually using all of it, unlike the original sensor. That only used around 20 positions, so was really more like 4 bit over an 8 bit interface. Whereas I’m using all 256 values.

I'm by no means an expert on directX, or USB HID, but I think it's very common to up-scale joystick readings for various software reasons, but you don’t get any more precision. Just larger jumps in readings.

I don't have any switch suggestions, I’ve not put one into my throttle (yet!). I might buy a few nice looking switches and try and recommend something.

Happy

Warthog Slew upgrade kits available to pre-order at: www.deltasimelectronics.com
Deltaalphalima1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2018, 08:16 PM   #79
Sokol1_br

Send a message via MSN to Sokol1_br

Quote:
I'm by no means an expert on directX, or USB HID, but I think it's very common to up-scale joystick readings for various software reasons, but you don’t get any more precision. J
Warthog is an example, is advertised as 16 bits - but the sensor in the X,Y axis is not 16 bits.
Sokol1_br is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2018, 12:23 AM   #80
Platypus

Another endorsement of Deltaalphalima1's slew upgrade. Thanks to the clear instructions, I was able to complete the modification in 25 minutes with no drama! The hardware is precise and exudes quality. This upgrade really put the Warthog throttle in a new league. Tank busting is a breeze now!
Platypus is offline   Reply With Quote