F-8 Crusader

MrDieing

1 hour ago, Cab said:

It's a Friday morning and I'm sitting here drinking coffee and looking at all the exciting developments in the works for DCS. Then I remember the Crusader is probably still a long way off.

My glass is definitely half empty this morning.  :sad_2:

Cheer up buddy, theres also the A7 and A6 we wont see for a while 😄

Oh wait..that aint helping.....F4! soonish 

Edited by Badger1-1
  • Like 1

14 hours ago, Badger1-1 said:

Cheer up buddy, theres also the A7 and A6 we wont see for a while 😄

Oh wait..that aint helping.....F4! soonish 

Two F4's coming soonish, I hope.  HB F-4E and Mag3/Leatherneck F4U-1D, which will be the first carrier-based prop plane in DCS, won't it?  ...along with a WWII Essex-class carrier.   But that F8U-2NE (F-8E) upgraded to -J would sure be nice with an angled-deck Essex-class carrier!!  Maybe this time next year...I hope, I hope.

• Like 1

On 3/31/2022 at 8:26 PM, Tavo89 said:

Personally I prefer the F-8 Crusader, the Phantom is iconic but I prefer to ride in a single seater, I'm selfish sorry XD. 

I can't wait to have the Mig Master 😎.

I know.  Who wants another Jester in the Phantom...that's more like a back-seat driver than a RIO?  😆    They should give the "F-14 Jester" that nasal voice of Fran Drescher as "The Nanny".  "You shouldn't get so close to the tanker!  You're going to scratch the paint...again.  Watch your speed!  Oh, my gawd!"  (Ok, maybe I exaggerate.)  😆

Edited by Andrew8604
  • Like 2

19 minutes ago, Andrew8604 said:

I know.  Who wants another Jester in the Phantom...that's more like a back-seat driver than a RIO?  😆    They should give the "F-14 Jester" that nasal voice of Fran Drescher as "The Nanny".  "You shouldn't get so close to the tanker!  You're going to scratch the paint...again.  Watch your speed!  Oh, my gawd!"  (Ok, maybe I exaggerate.)  😆

I think they should get this guy to voice the F4 RIO

This southern drawl would be perfect for a Vietnam setting. 

Lesliejordan (1).jpg

i7 13700k @5.2ghz, GTX 3090, 64Gig ram 4800mhz DDR5, M2 drive.

• 3 weeks later...
10 hours ago, Tavo89 said:

What is happening? 😳

Nothing. I just really, really want the F-8 more than anything else. With so little news about it, I think, “But where is my F-8 Crusader?” every time a new module is announced.

Edited by Cab

On 9/23/2022 at 12:17 PM, Cab said:

Nothing. I just really, really want the F-8 more than anything else. With so little news about it, I think, “But where is my F-8 Crusader?” every time a new module is announced.

Well, there very little news about the corsair too. Which has looked close to release now for almost a year.

49 minutes ago, Gunfreak said:

Well, there very little news about the corsair too. Which has looked close to release now for almost a year.

Yeah the whole situation is a bit weird IMO.

Best guess on the corsair is that they are waiting to finish the asset pack for it, waiting on ww2 Marianas to release it, or waiting on an unannounced zero to fight against it, or some combo of all 3. 

• Like 5

New hotness: I7 9700k 4.8ghz, 32gb ddr4, 2080ti, :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, HP Reverb (formermly CV1)

Old-N-busted: i7 4720HQ ~3.5GHZ, +32GB DDR3 + Nvidia GTX980m (4GB VRAM) :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, Rift CV1 (yes really).

1 hour ago, Harlikwin said:

Yeah the whole situation is a bit weird IMO.

Best guess on the corsair is that they are waiting to finish the asset pack for it, waiting on ww2 Marianas to release it, or waiting on an unannounced zero to fight against it, or some combo of all 3. 

I hope.

They are not good at communications.

In January, a bunch of pictures dropped one of them with a message many interped as imminent relase. But almost 10 months later, they still seem to be working on some basic modeling. 

9 hours ago, Gunfreak said:

I hope.

They are not good at communications.

In January, a bunch of pictures dropped one of them with a message many interped as imminent relase. But almost 10 months later, they still seem to be working on some basic modeling. 

Yeah IDK, I have no insider info. But the whole thing is just weird. 

• Like 1

New hotness: I7 9700k 4.8ghz, 32gb ddr4, 2080ti, :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, HP Reverb (formermly CV1)

Old-N-busted: i7 4720HQ ~3.5GHZ, +32GB DDR3 + Nvidia GTX980m (4GB VRAM) :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, Rift CV1 (yes really).

9 hours ago, Harlikwin said:

Yeah IDK, I have no insider info. But the whole thing is just weird. 

I don't know if I'd say it's weird. They are a small team (I think), probably doing this in their spare time (again, I think), so lack of a communication plan would be understandable.

13 hours ago, Cab said:

I don't know if I'd say it's weird. They are a small team (I think), probably doing this in their spare time (again, I think), so lack of a communication plan would be understandable.

IDK, the F4U seemed pretty much done a while back, so unless everyone misinterpreted that, IMO its a bit weird that its not out yet. But I suppose it could have been less done than presented.

17 minutes ago, Harlikwin said:

IDK, the F4U seemed pretty much done a while back, so unless everyone misinterpreted that, IMO its a bit weird that its not out yet. But I suppose it could have been less done than presented.

Ok, yes. I see what you mean now. 

I agree the Corsair has seemed so close for so long. 

Edited by Cab

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

The Marine Corps did not use the -J model. There are significant external differences between the -J and earlier versions. Why not do an -E model, to cover the longest time range and enable a more diversity? The F-8J has been called an underpowered pig next to the F-8E, and offers little to justify the extra weight it took on.

Edited by exhausted

12 minutes ago, exhausted said:

The Marine Corps did not use the -J model. There are significant external differences between the -J and earlier versions. Why not do an -E model, to cover the longest time range and enable a more diversity? The F-8J has been called an underpowered pig next to the F-8E, and offers little to justify the extra weight it took on.

They probably could get J docs, and not E docs. Plus france operated the J (ish)

6 minutes ago, Harlikwin said:

They probably could get J docs, and not E docs. Plus france operated the J (ish)

I'm not going to take wild guesses as what they could get, but I know France operated the F-8E (FN), which is quite different inside and out from the -J. 

The F-8 is another one of those things a dev for DCS nearly got right, but still got sorta wrong. 

On 12/23/2022 at 5:10 PM, exhausted said:

I'm not going to take wild guesses as what they could get, but I know France operated the F-8E (FN), which is quite different inside and out from the -J. 

The F-8 is another one of those things a dev for DCS nearly got right, but still got sorta wrong. 

F-8J was an E model that included modifications made during the E(FN) program like wing changes and a boundary layer control system. They differ in IFF and radar set. However, given that they're both F-8s, they're going to hold quite a few more similarities than not. It may have been selected to offer some representation of French Aeronavale F-8s, but more than likely was selected for accessibility of materials and references. This is a very important point to consider for the efforts of making an accurate DCS module.

How this is "wrong" is only in your very specific mindset.

Edited by MiG21bisFishbedL

Reformers hate him! This one weird trick found by a bush pilot will make gunfighter obsessed old farts angry at your multi-role carrier deck line up!

On 12/23/2022 at 11:50 PM, exhausted said:

The F-8J has been called an underpowered pig next to the F-8E, and offers little to justify the extra weight it took on.

The Juliet with the P-420 motor at 19,600lbs in blower wasn't all bad. The P-20 motor was, however.

We're getting the P-420.

So ein Feuerball, JUNGE!

On 12/31/2022 at 6:18 PM, MiG21bisFishbedL said:

F-8J was an E model that included modifications made during the E(FN) program like wing changes and a boundary layer control system.

Since you've brought it up, a bit more info on the external mods of the french Crusader (Crouze), that could also be found on the J:

- wing incidence reduced from 7° to 5°

- double cambered LE droops

- larger flaperon-throw (used to be 23°) with BLC now 40° (some different changes may apply, though)

- larger UHT (stabilator)

The Crouze could also carry the R530, before it was phased out:

They'd also carry Sidewinders and later on Magics.

Edited by Bremspropeller

So ein Feuerball, JUNGE!

5 hours ago, Bremspropeller said:

Since you've brought it up, a bit more info on the external mods of the french Crusader (Crouze), that could also be found on the J:

- wing incidence reduced from 7° to 5°

- double cambered LE droops

- larger flaperon-throw (used to be 23°) with BLC now 40° (some different changes may apply, though)

- larger UHT (stabilator)

The Crouze could also carry the R530, before it was phased out:

They'd also carry Sidewinders and later on Magics.

Thanks for the addendum!

Reformers hate him! This one weird trick found by a bush pilot will make gunfighter obsessed old farts angry at your multi-role carrier deck line up!

• 3 weeks later...